• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe: on the rise again?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It seems to me that Zimbabwe's performances have been improving a bit over the last 12 months. Around the time of the last world cup, they really were slipping badly and looked a to be falling behind the likes of Ireland and Kenya, let alone Bangladesh. However, that slide has seemed to be halted. They drew what was effectively a 4 match series in Bangladesh, a place where New Zealand and Sri Lanka have struggled to win recently, and have just finished grinding Kenya into a fine powder over night.

So does anyone think that this is a serious and ongoing trend of improvement? And if so, does anyone think that if the political situation in the country is solved in the next few years, that Zimbabwe could eventually get back up to where they were before their terrible collapse?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Until Zimbabwe actually start beating decent teams (ie not Bangladesh), I won't be giving them any respect.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Until Zimbabwe actually start beating decent teams (ie not Bangladesh), I won't be giving them any respect.
Gah... I'm sure there gunning for your respect... give them a break, what Bahnz says is true Bangladesh arn't as shocking as they once were and if Zimbabwe can beat a side with test status then evidently they're improving, cant say I care too much but give credit where credit is so scarcely given.

Uppercut

Can't say things are looking bright for Zimbabwe in any walk of life. The difference between them and Bangladesh is that they go down fighting despite being a poor side.

Langeveldt

Soutie
They display fight and punch above their weight, until the situation in their country improves though, it will never be a viable cricket playing nation.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Gah... I'm sure there gunning for your respect... give them a break, what Bahnz says is true Bangladesh arn't as shocking as they once were and if Zimbabwe can beat a side with test status then evidently they're improving, cant say I care too much but give credit where credit is so scarcely given.
My 5-a-side football was constantly gunning for respect and putting in loads of effort last season. We lost every game except for one, and that was because the other team didn't turn up.
They beat the windies 12 months ago...
That was more than 12 months ago, and one win (against WI no less) is not really proof of anything.

Chubb

International Regular
They have improved since the 2007 WC. I think Robin Brown has to take some credit for that because he re-instilled the sense of Zimbabwean pride and fight that had been lacking under Curran. It's also helped that Ray Price has come back because I think the other bowlers feed off him.

Some of the players who have come into the side since the rebellion are now every bit as good as MOST Zimbabwean internationals have ever been. Chigumbura and Rainsford could have made the side and would have strengthened the bowling attack- sooner them than Blignaut, Friend or Ervine with the ball. There's also been a definate improvement in the performances of Sibanda and Masakadza, and Sean Williams has shown real class. Taylor was immense on occasions before he left and if he comes back it would be wonderful. The problem is that they no longer have the standout performers who could lift the side to a competitive test level as they once did.

It is a testament to the strength of Zimbabwe's cricket culture that these players have been produced but that isn't going to be enough for test status until the political situation improves. Until then, Zimbabwe will win the odd ODI or 2020 against weaker sides and will always go down with a fighting spirit, but they won't get better than that.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
compared to Kenya they certainly seemed to have improved. Then again, it could be because we have got a lot worse. Really hope they do get things back on track in Zim.

Chubb

International Regular
Jack's right unfortunately. He almost certainly won't play with the current regime after they sacked Robin Brown who'd done such a good job. Sean Williams might follow at any time, which would be a big blow of course. As long as things don't get better they'll be a drain.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Given the ICC has just confirmed Zimbabwe will not be returning to Test cricket in the near future, I wondered what people on the forum thought of the idea of them taking part in the Intercontinental cup instead.

My feeling is that at least some international first Class cricket is better than none and should they win, it is a good stepping stone back to Tests once the nightmare situation ends and cricket can again flourish. If they don't win, then it would be a clear indication they are not yet ready.

It would improve the standard of the competition and aside from the difficult matter of Zim home games, should be welcomed by the Associates who would definitely benefit from the matches.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Given the ICC has just confirmed Zimbabwe will not be returning to Test cricket in the near future, I wondered what people on the forum thought of the idea of them taking part in the Intercontinental cup instead.

My feeling is that at least some international first Class cricket is better than none and should they win, it is a good stepping stone back to Tests once the nightmare situation ends and cricket can again flourish. If they don't win, then it would be a clear indication they are not yet ready.

It would improve the standard of the competition and aside from the difficult matter of Zim home games, should be welcomed by the Associates who would definitely benefit from the matches.
A fantastic idea.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

In theory it is a good idea but it does put the emphasis back on politics.

They may be refused visas, teams may refuse to tour and the whole competition would be consumed by controversy and made a farce.

The best idea is to have teams volunteer to go and play them. Its hard to involve them in any structured endevour.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
In theory it is a good idea but it does put the emphasis back on politics.

They may be refused visas, teams may refuse to tour and the whole competition would be consumed by controversy and made a farce.

The best idea is to have teams volunteer to go and play them. Its hard to involve them in any structured endevour.
that is of course the big problem. I always find it difficult to swallow though that sport has to bear the brunt of politics while businesses still trade almost as normal. Refusing t tour could be got around by their home matches (vs those opposed to touring) being held in SA until the situation changes.

FBU

International Debutant
Well India are inviting them to the Deodhar Trophy this year and the Duleep Trophy next year and has also agreed to open the National Cricket Academy's doors for players from Zimbabwe.

I am pleased to see Cremer make his debut in the ODI team. In 4 matches he has taken 11 wickets at 12.81 econ 3.81 s/r 20.1 even though it is against Kenya. I wonder if they will stick with Price, Utseya and Cremer in the same team.

Langeveldt

Soutie
that is of course the big problem. I always find it difficult to swallow though that sport has to bear the brunt of politics while businesses still trade almost as normal. Refusing t tour could be got around by their home matches (vs those opposed to touring) being held in SA until the situation changes.
I'm not sure SA would host them now.. Apparently we've denounced links with the Zimbos on sporting terms, hell we've even cut all their power off.. They don't feature in our Pro20 competition.. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see it happening..