View Poll Results: Who are the most overrated cricket teams in the world currently?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

9 29.03%
  • England

0 0%
  • New Zealand

1 3.23%
  • West Indies

1 3.23%
  • Pakistan

1 3.23%
  • India

5 16.13%
  • Sri Lanka

10 32.26%
  • Bangladesh

4 12.90%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the most overrated/underrated cricket teams in the world currently?

Banned

Who are the most overrated/underrated cricket teams in the world currently?

Overrated - Australia and Bangladesh

Underrated - England and Sri Lanka

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Bangladesh, in that people are continually referring to them as a "cricket team".
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Banned
    Australia is easily the most overrated team, people expect them to strive through a short period of adversity and transition but many of their "inexperienced" players seem mediocre i.e Dussey, Hopes, White, Harris. They'll be declining for a while.

England is the most underrated team. They won an ODI series against SA convincingly not long ago and in my opinion, they were pretty unlucky during the Indian series. They have many upcoming youngsters such as Shah, Bopara, Broad, Bell and they have a talent pool potentially better than Australia.
    Last edited by MendisNuffSaid; 26-01-2009 at 08:43 AM.

England were quite a bit overrated in the lead up to their series at home to SA (who were somehow second-favourites in this neck of the woods) but now there's a sense of shock when they actually put up a game like they did in India.

Australia were badly overrated before the India series, it's quite clear to see now, but the pendulum's swinging the other way. A few players need to find form and fitness but they're still as good as anyone.

In ODIs, New Zealand are startlingly underrated IMO.

Banned
    Pakistan were overwhelming favourites to beat us in their home series and Sri Lanka struggled to win their matches in Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. I don't understand how they are overrated, i guess those people chose SL through vindictiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by MendisNuffSaid View Post
    Pakistan were overwhelming favourites to beat us in their home series and Sri Lanka struggled to win their matches in Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. I don't understand how they are overrated, i guess those people chose SL through vindictiveness.
    People probably chose Sri Lanka to balance out a thread that you seem to have created as not much more than an excuse to push a pro-Sri Lanka / anti-Australia viewpoint.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

I feel India is to a slight extent overrated. Especially our bowling attack. It's great that we're finally getting some decent fast bowlers but I don't think we're anywhere near the best pace attack in the world as some people would make it out to be. I agree that we're the second-best team in the world, but I don't think we're as close to South Africa as we'd like to think. Perhaps if we can convincingly beat New Zealand, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

I think Sri Lanka is quite underrated. Their team has never seemed that strong on paper but they're a good team that is rarely given credit. Most likely it has to do with how little cricket they play.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    You struggle to understand how SL is over-rated when it's a month since they lost to Bangladesh?

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    People probably chose Sri Lanka to balance out a thread that you seem to have created as not much more than an excuse to push a pro-Sri Lanka / anti-Australia viewpoint.
    This.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    You struggle to understand how SL is over-rated when it's a month since they lost to Bangladesh?
    Was a dead rubber tbf.

Australia is easily the most overrated team, people expect them to strive through a short period of adversity and transition but many of their "inexperienced" players seem mediocre i.e Dussey, Hopes, White, Harris. They'll be declining for a while.

England is the most underrated team. They won an ODI series against SA convincingly not long ago and in my opinion, they were pretty unlucky during the Indian series. They have many upcoming youngsters such as Shah, Bopara, Broad, Bell and they have a talent pool potentially better than Australia.
    Hmm, selective memory there, notice you make no mention of their 3-1 loss to NZ just a month earlier before that SA series, not to mention the 3-1 loss earlier that year in NZ.

Lad, you'll learn very quickly on this forum that cricketing knowledge is 2nd-to-none, and you'll get pulled up very quickly if you only tell half the story. Your statement above is a classic example.

Pinball Champion!
    I don't think any teams are under rated, as for over rated, well there is only one Bangladesh..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Kenya is/was criminally underrated. Should have received test status before Bangladesh.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Kenya is/was criminally underrated. Should have received test status before Bangladesh.
    agreed

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Consensus at the minute seems to be that they are all a much of a muchness in many ways in ODIs, which would suggest none are overrated

Same in Tests really, SA, Aus & India rightfully acknowledged as the top teams (in no particular order btw), England & Sri Lanka next down, New Zealand and West Indies just below (Pakistan not played lately so hard to say).

Don't think anyone is getting/missing out on much hype at the minute itbt
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Was about to vote for SA as many people are calling them the best right now and it isn't even on the list.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information