• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the most overrated/underrated cricket teams in the world currently?

Who are the most overrated cricket teams in the world currently?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh, in that people are continually referring to them as a "cricket team".

Australia is easily the most overrated team, people expect them to strive through a short period of adversity and transition but many of their "inexperienced" players seem mediocre i.e Dussey, Hopes, White, Harris. They'll be declining for a while.

England is the most underrated team. They won an ODI series against SA convincingly not long ago and in my opinion, they were pretty unlucky during the Indian series. They have many upcoming youngsters such as Shah, Bopara, Broad, Bell and they have a talent pool potentially better than Australia.

Last edited:

Uppercut

England were quite a bit overrated in the lead up to their series at home to SA (who were somehow second-favourites in this neck of the woods) but now there's a sense of shock when they actually put up a game like they did in India.

Australia were badly overrated before the India series, it's quite clear to see now, but the pendulum's swinging the other way. A few players need to find form and fitness but they're still as good as anyone.

In ODIs, New Zealand are startlingly underrated IMO.

Pakistan were overwhelming favourites to beat us in their home series and Sri Lanka struggled to win their matches in Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. I don't understand how they are overrated, i guess those people chose SL through vindictiveness.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan were overwhelming favourites to beat us in their home series and Sri Lanka struggled to win their matches in Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. I don't understand how they are overrated, i guess those people chose SL through vindictiveness.
People probably chose Sri Lanka to balance out a thread that you seem to have created as not much more than an excuse to push a pro-Sri Lanka / anti-Australia viewpoint.

krkode

State Captain
I feel India is to a slight extent overrated. Especially our bowling attack. It's great that we're finally getting some decent fast bowlers but I don't think we're anywhere near the best pace attack in the world as some people would make it out to be. I agree that we're the second-best team in the world, but I don't think we're as close to South Africa as we'd like to think. Perhaps if we can convincingly beat New Zealand, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

I think Sri Lanka is quite underrated. Their team has never seemed that strong on paper but they're a good team that is rarely given credit. Most likely it has to do with how little cricket they play.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
You struggle to understand how SL is over-rated when it's a month since they lost to Bangladesh?

People probably chose Sri Lanka to balance out a thread that you seem to have created as not much more than an excuse to push a pro-Sri Lanka / anti-Australia viewpoint.
This.

Zinzan

Australia is easily the most overrated team, people expect them to strive through a short period of adversity and transition but many of their "inexperienced" players seem mediocre i.e Dussey, Hopes, White, Harris. They'll be declining for a while.

England is the most underrated team. They won an ODI series against SA convincingly not long ago and in my opinion, they were pretty unlucky during the Indian series. They have many upcoming youngsters such as Shah, Bopara, Broad, Bell and they have a talent pool potentially better than Australia.
Hmm, selective memory there, notice you make no mention of their 3-1 loss to NZ just a month earlier before that SA series, not to mention the 3-1 loss earlier that year in NZ.

Lad, you'll learn very quickly on this forum that cricketing knowledge is 2nd-to-none, and you'll get pulled up very quickly if you only tell half the story. Your statement above is a classic example.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Consensus at the minute seems to be that they are all a much of a muchness in many ways in ODIs, which would suggest none are overrated

Same in Tests really, SA, Aus & India rightfully acknowledged as the top teams (in no particular order btw), England & Sri Lanka next down, New Zealand and West Indies just below (Pakistan not played lately so hard to say).

Don't think anyone is getting/missing out on much hype at the minute itbt

Athlai

Not Terrible
Was about to vote for SA as many people are calling them the best right now and it isn't even on the list. :wacko:

You struggle to understand how SL is over-rated when it's a month since they lost to Bangladesh?
And you seem to think that SL is the only team in the world to lose to Bangladesh? In fact, BD have played them more than most major nations so you can excuse them for dropping a dead rubber 8-). When was the last time any major nation played Bangladesh in their own country? I'm pretty sure, it ain't a month ago so that argument is pretty stupid tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well i thought SA have proven themselves by winning the tests and the odis in Australia. I'll add them on the list.
Against an understrength Australia, they also got beaten by England recently too. I mean they're a good team but still on par with the full strength Indian and Australian teams.

Athlai

Not Terrible
And you seem to think that SL is the only team in the world to lose to Bangladesh? In fact, BD have played them more than most major nations so you can excuse them for dropping a dead rubber 8-). When was the last time any major nation played Bangladesh in their own country? I'm pretty sure, it ain't a month ago so that argument is pretty stupid tbh.
NZ did and we lost one match. Also SA had a series there and were pushed in one Test match. Bangladesh at home are quite good, though only because of Shakib, all the other spinners, Mortaza, Ashraful and Tamim.

Still crap away.

Against an understrength Australia, they also got beaten by England recently too. I mean they're a good team but still on par with the full strength Indian and Australian teams.
There was no Graeme Smith, Ashwell Prince, Justin Kemp (ICL but his big hitting capabilities could have been handy as opposed to McKenzie) and Mark Boucher. Australia's main losses were Stuart Clark, Bracken, Symonds and Clarke. Yet Australia were smashed in the 4th ODI.

I remembered that SL whitewashed England in a 5 match series during 2006 but they had a really **** bowling line-up.

Last edited: