View Poll Results: Who are the most overrated cricket teams in the world currently?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

    9 29.03%
  • England

    0 0%
  • New Zealand

    1 3.23%
  • West Indies

    1 3.23%
  • Pakistan

    1 3.23%
  • India

    5 16.13%
  • Sri Lanka

    10 32.26%
  • Bangladesh

    4 12.90%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 69

Thread: Who are the most overrated/underrated cricket teams in the world currently?

  1. #46
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by MendisNuffSaid View Post
    There was no Graeme Smith, Ashwell Prince, Justin Kemp (ICL but his big hitting capabilities could have been handy as opposed to McKenzie) and Mark Boucher. Australia's main losses were Stuart Clark, Bracken, Symonds and Clarke. Yet Australia were smashed in the 4th ODI.
    SA are better served in ODIs without Prince, Mckenzie is a far more capable player.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  2. #47
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,578
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    I dont think Australia is an overrated team anymore. They were VERY VERY overrated before the series against India, the fact that people thought they actually had a 1 in million chance of winning proves that IMO. I would venture to suggest that they were still overrated before the series against SA where people thought they were still numero uno, but now most people including Ponting have now come to the realization that they are merely a middling team amongst an average bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Australia is hardly on the same pedestal as India and SA. If it werent for all the politics and the lack of a coach I would venture to suggest that Australia isnt a patch on England either, however I think the recent developments have brought those 2 teams on an even keel.
    Don't agree with you. Australia at full strength are certainly on the same pedestal as SA and India (or at least, their players are, even if they've forgotten how to win of late). See if you can find a significant weakness:

    Jaques
    Katich
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Watto/Symonds
    Haddin
    Johnson
    Lee
    Clark
    McGain
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  3. #48
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    Watson/Symonds. Husseys form. McGain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  4. #49
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Watson/Symonds. Husseys form. McGain.
    As a Kiwi how can you question the talents of Watto or Symonds, they destroy us.

    Also I want South Africa on the poll damn it!
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society


  5. #50
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,115
    Afghanistan
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

  6. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    As a Kiwi how can you question the talents of Watto or Symonds, they destroy us.

    Also I want South Africa on the poll damn it
    !
    I don't know how to edit the poll unfortunately.

  7. #52
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Watson/Symonds. Husseys form. McGain.
    Don't think you can cite Hussey's form as a weakness. There'll always be at least one out-of-form batsman in any side. I certainly wouldn't call a fit Symonds a weak link either. McGain's the only one, and even he's a bit of a wild card as opposed to a sub-standard bowler.

  8. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Don't think you can cite Hussey's form as a weakness. There'll always be at least one out-of-form batsman in any side. I certainly wouldn't call a fit Symonds a weak link either. McGain's the only one, and even he's a bit of a wild card as opposed to a sub-standard bowler.
    Weren't a bunch there last year for the CB series involving India and S Lanka? Didnt look very convincing. Better than the current squad, but not enough to be No.2.

  9. #54
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Don't agree with you. Australia at full strength are certainly on the same pedestal as SA and India (or at least, their players are, even if they've forgotten how to win of late). See if you can find a significant weakness:

    Jaques
    Katich
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Watto/Symonds
    Haddin
    Johnson
    Lee
    Clark
    McGain
    A significant weakness? Their bowling is a joke. McGain hasnt even played a game, the fact that hes put as a certainity only represents the spin bowling stocks in the country. Its so appalling that they cant even find a half decent finger spinner who could take wickets on a pitch that is turning sideways.

    I dont rate Johnson as anything other than a holding bowler, his bowling is nothing special and only average right handed players will continue to get out to a one dimensional bowler with very little in his armoury.

    Clark and B.Lee are 33 and 32 respectively, and Lee has already been showing signs of decline while Clark can barely make it through a series without being injured. Test cricket has always been about which team can take 20 wickets the fastest and the bottom line is that Id trust almost any other bowling attack (England, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka and even New Zealand) in the world to do it faster than Australia.

    The batting is in a slightly more healthy situation, however Jaques is yet unproven and Symonds/Watto are yet to show us that they are anything above mediocre. This along with the fact that their top 3 batsmen are 34, 33/34 and 33(Ponting, Hussey and Katich) shows that there is very little to look forward to in the future.

    Its absolutely laughable that a team that recently got completely dominated to the point of being a laughing stock in India (with essentially a fully fit side) is considered to be on a higher pedestal than England (who were competitive for 9 out of 10 days of the series) or on the same keel as SA (who havent lost a series in over 2.5 years).

  10. #55
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,578
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Its absolutely laughable that a team that recently got completely dominated to the point of being a laughing stock in India (with essentially a fully fit side) is considered to be on a higher pedestal than England (who were competitive for 9 out of 10 days of the series) or on the same keel as SA (who havent lost a series in over 2.5 years).
    That's not what happened though.

    Australia were far and away the better team in the first test, just couldn't finish India off on the final day- lack of a spinner perhaps? Poor selectorial decision to pick White? McGain's injury? A lot of things could have made a difference for them.

    The big turning point came just after that test when Anil Kumble got injured. India had replaced a shocking captain with a top-class one, and a severely pitch-dependent spinner with an excellent one for all conditions. That was the only test India truly dominated- Mishra in particular broke the domination of bat over ball for two sessions in the first innings and it turned the series around. India performed at their absolute peak in that match. Very, very rarely have i seen an entire team perform so well at the same time.

    The third test was played on the flattest of flat pitches. India could point to a few dropped catches, but in truth it was always going to be a draw. The game barely even reached a fourth innings.

    The fourth test was a pretty good contest. Australia lost largely because Ponting was more concerned about over rates than winning matches and they were forced to chase hard on the final day. I doubt they'd have lost if it weren't for the fact that Dhoni was so content to play for the draw.

    That's not to take anything away from India, they were excellent and fully deserved their victory. You just said they dominated Australia to the point that they became a laughing stock. That's not true. Long, detailed responses to trollish remarks are the type of thing i end up doing when i know i have an exam the following day .

  11. #56
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I'm quite hard to get back at, not having a major cricket team to support. For future reference, something like, "Ojha>Mishra" will do the trick
    Ojha >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mishra
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  12. #57
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    That's not what happened though.

    Australia were far and away the better team in the first test, just couldn't finish India off on the final day- lack of a spinner perhaps? Poor selectorial decision to pick White? McGain's injury? A lot of things could have made a difference for them.
    They couldnt finish India off because their bowlers had already messed up the situation in the first innings by not being able to dismiss the tail. Again, it all comes down to their poor bowlers and the fact of the matter is that the 2 bowlers who went into the series with their inflated reputations were both left threadbare. India had batted poorly in the first innings, they have a history of doing so in Bangalore, so its hardly surprising that that happened. Australia had the benefit of the toss and still could not win that game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The third test was played on the flattest of flat pitches. India could point to a few dropped catches, but in truth it was always going to be a draw. The game barely even reached a fourth innings.

    The fourth test was a pretty good contest. Australia lost largely because Ponting was more concerned about over rates than winning matches and they were forced to chase hard on the final day. I doubt they'd have lost if it weren't for the fact that Dhoni was so content to play for the draw.

    That's not to take anything away from India, they were excellent and fully deserved their victory. You just said they dominated Australia to the point that they became a laughing stock. That's not true. Long, detailed responses to trollish remarks are the type of thing i end up doing when i know i have an exam the following day .
    My remark largely revolves around 1 simple fact. The Australian bowling was not good enough to take 20 wickets in that series. Yes they managed it in one test, but that was largely because of the underestimation of a spinner who ended up taking a 12fer on debut. Lee, Clark and Johnson simply could not buy a wicket to save their life that series. Yes, they were bailed out by some flat wickets in the series, but thats irrelevant IMO. The batting constantly tried to keep them in the game, but the bowling simply was too far below the requisite level to win a test in India. I mentioned before the series that I could not see how Australia would win a game that series and the best they could hope for was 4 flat wickets and 4 draws. And the results merely confirm my original hypothesis. 2-0 at the end of the day is probably an underestimation of the difference between the 2 teams, for if by some miracle we had a 100 test match series, Id be fairly confident that given the same 2 teams the result would be something like 50-0 to India with 50 draws.

    Good luck on your exam tomorrow.

  13. #58
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,578
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    My remark largely revolves around 1 simple fact. The Australian bowling was not good enough to take 20 wickets in that series. Yes they managed it in one test, but that was largely because of the underestimation of a spinner who ended up taking a 12fer on debut. Lee, Clark and Johnson simply could not buy a wicket to save their life that series. Yes, they were bailed out by some flat wickets in the series, but thats irrelevant IMO. The batting constantly tried to keep them in the game, but the bowling simply was too far below the requisite level to win a test in India. I mentioned before the series that I could not see how Australia would win a game that series and the best they could hope for was 4 flat wickets and 4 draws. And the results merely confirm my original hypothesis. 2-0 at the end of the day is probably an underestimation of the difference between the 2 teams, for if by some miracle we had a 100 test match series, Id be fairly confident that given the same 2 teams the result would be something like 50-0 to India with 50 draws.

    Good luck on your exam tomorrow.
    In fairness, India failed to take 20 wickets in two of the four matches, and only did so in the final match largely as the result of Australia needing a win. Taking 20 wickets on a flat deck in India is bloody difficult, against either Australia or India. As I say, it took an absolutely incredible all-round performance in the second test to manage it. Along with the fact that Amit Mishra's mere presence on the pitch caused the Australians to wilt with awe at his devastatingly awesome awesomeness.

    Thanks about the exam

  14. #59
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,489
    Not sure how you can underestimate an average spinner. India were right to attack Krezja the fact they gifted him so many wickets just showed a lack of discipline in the team as opposed to fantastic bowling by Kreyfish. Not sure if Krezja could get into any team in the world besides maybe West Indies.

  15. #60
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Not sure how you can underestimate an average spinner.
    Paul Harris has made a career out of it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pakistan Cricket news/views
    By Fusion in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 781
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
  2. Cricket Coach 2009 - Help wanted - New logo
    By Oli Norwell in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 03:53 AM
  3. Night cricket?
    By AlanJLegend in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-01-2009, 04:00 AM
  4. Any new cricket games coming out on ps2??
    By dezza1994 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-01-2009, 03:36 AM
  5. Best Cricket Sledges - PLZ READ
    By matts20891 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •