• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Cricket news/views

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
"Of course. If Inzi had come at one or two down, he would have been a different player. He would have had over 10,000 Test runs to his name. Unfortunately, he was always on the back foot, because he didn’t believe in himself, which was his biggest problem." - Wasim Akram

If only Imran managed to drill that into Inzy's head back in the 90s.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I know.. and that's why he didn't end up with 10000 test runs. If there is one thing the great man was good at, it was making players believe in themselves.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Some new developments:

Aqib Javed has quit his job as the Pakistan bowling coach and the PCB Chairman is thinking of making Afridi the ODI captain again.

Hopefully the PCB will select Akram as the bowling coach. We desperately need him.

Fusion

Global Moderator
...the PCB Chairman is thinking of making Afridi the ODI captain again.
Wait what? Where are you hearing this? That would be a terrible idea if Misbah is still in the team (which I presume he will be). You can't have the Captain of the Test team playing second fiddle to the Captain of the ODI team. TERRIBLE IDEA.

screamingfields

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wait. Pakistan are about to get whitewashed in the England ODIs. England is about whitewash Pakistan now right after. Speaks for itself that does.

Pakistan need pace bowlers. Spinners are always bailing the team out.

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Afridi will become captain of the ODI side.Misbah will probabyl wave goodbye to ODIs altogether.Zaka Ashraf has hinted at building a team for 2015 and even though no one mentioned Misbah and Younis specifically,but both of are not going to be part of the ODI side till 2015.The fact that Asad and Azhar have done well on this tour will only reaffirm that.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Afridi's homecoming marred by altercation. (Video contains NSFW language in Urdu).

Afridi interview after the altercation

The interview is in Urdu. To summarize, Afridi claims that there was inadequate security upon his arrival at the airport. He and his family were mobbed by fans and his daughter was apparently either stepped on or shoved by an overzealous fan trying to reach him. At this point he lost his temper and hit the fan. He apologized for losing his cool like that.

I sympathize with him if that’s what really happened, but it does not look good for the potential future Captain of the ODI side to be getting into fan altercations.

Edit: The fan who got beat up apparently understands Afridi's reaction and still loves him

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Any father would lose his cool in such a situation.I don't blame him.He has to deal with this himself on a daily basis.His family getting this has to be the last straw.Fans in Pakistan are rowdy,and sure they do it out of love for the players,but the player himself can only tolerate stuff like this to an extent.And Afridi isn't someone who has a history of fan altercation.I think there was one such issue previously,but i don't remember whether it was Afridi or someone else.He's generally very cordial with fans.

Either way,the bottom line is that he is the most famous cricketer in the country right now,and gets mobbed everytime he steps out in the public.Yes he has the responsibility of being a superstar on his shoulders,but he's human.Tons of other celebrities lose their cool in public at times.It's not pretty,but it's natural.Anyman would lose his cool if your daughter gets shoved around.This is just a one off incident and i won't read too much into it.

But thank our mentally deranged media for multiplying every issue 10 times,and then sensationalizing it.****tards.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
That's just horrible. Why can't these idiots just control themselves. Thank God that his daughter is OK and that nothing worse happened.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Interesting News I'm hearing.

1. Ian Pont is a contender for the Pak bowling coach job. This is the guy Akhtar recommends and he is obsessed with pace. Will help our bowlers increase their pace. But is a a good bowling coach though. And how good is he with seam and swing?

2. Pakistan will play a lot of their games in Sri Lanka. First the series against Sri Lanka, then ODI series against the Aussies in Lanka and then finally the T20 WC.

Woodster

International Captain
Interesting News I'm hearing.

1. Ian Pont is a contender for the Pak bowling coach job. This is the guy Akhtar recommends and he is obsessed with pace. Will help our bowlers increase their pace. But is a a good bowling coach though. And how good is he with seam and swing?

2. Pakistan will play a lot of their games in Sri Lanka. First the series against Sri Lanka, then ODI series against the Aussies in Lanka and then finally the T20 WC.
Would like to see Pont get a more high-profile assignment (no detriment to his other roles to date) so we can have a real look at his capabilities when it comes to improving and working with quick bowlers.

I know increasing a bowlers pace and working with quicks appears to be one of his strengths, pretty sure he put in some work with Dale Steyn some years ago when Steyn was at Essex, think he got an extra yard out of Darren Gough in his later years and has had some good input with Graham Napier at Essex. Plenty of bowlers he's worked with speak highly of Pont, and I'm sure there's more to him than just focusing on a bowlers speed.

Pakistan's bowlers are generally not short of a yard of pace so it would be a good challenge for Pont to work on the subtleties of pace bowling. Hope he gets it so we can how he operates more in the public eye.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pont used to post on this forum. Bit of a weird bloke; has huge raps as a coach of young bowlers though (Atul Sharma aside :p). I wonder how he'd adapt that to older, more established bowlers though - doesn't really seem like the type to just make minor adjustments to improve someone. Tear it down and start again kind of guy.

salman85

International Debutant
I hope Pont can do a good job with our pacers.Our fast bowling resources look thin compared to the ones we had a few years ago.Or perhaps a spinner is our strikebowler,and that is not something that you can expect a Pakistan attack to look like.Either way,i'd love it if he can groom Junaid Khan.Work on his fitness first and foremost,since he seems to have a body made of glass.

Also,does anyone know when we will tour South Africa next?We last toured them in 2007,and surely the our next tour should be around the corner.Is it at the end of this year?

Last edited:

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Congrats Sialkot for winning the T20. Someone please tell the PCB that Imran Nazir MUST be in the Pak T20 team!!!! Keep him away from the ODI and Test scene but surely he's one of the most consistent T20 performers in the history of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!