Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pakistan Cricket news/views

This can't hurt, considering we don't even have a batting coach ATM.

Anwar tipped as batting coach

Cricinfo staff

August 13, 2009

Former opener Saeed Anwar is expected to be hired by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) as a batting coach for the national team. A statement released by the PCB said Anwar had been approached by chairman Ijaz Butt and that he had emerged as a prime candidate.

"Chairman PCB today had a discussion with Saeed Anwar regarding utilisation of his services for cricket. The chairman and Saeed Anwar will meet in the coming week to discuss the plan in detail," the statement said.

Anwar, 40, reportedly offered to assist Pakistan, who have been struggling at the top of the innings recently. Butt hoped Anwar's expertise would help the team. "I am thankful for Saeed's encouraging response and his offer to assist PCB and Pakistan players. I am sure Saeed will be able to contribute a lot to Pakistan cricket," Butt said.

As an international player Anwar made his one-day international on New Year's Day 1989, and entered Test cricket two years later. In 55 Tests he scored 4052 runs at 45.52, including 11 hundreds, but he achieved global fame through his exploits in ODIs.

The PCB, in the interim, have appointed Javed Miandad as the batting adviser to the national team in preparation for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy. Pakistan collapsed thrice in the first two Tests to lose the series against Sri Lanka and Miandad's guidance, the board believes, will help the team address the problem. "We have requested Miandad help our team's batting before next month's Champions Trophy in South Africa and take care of (the team's) problems," Butt said at a press conference. "We had batting failures and I will be meeting each and every player here on Friday."

Miandad was a former coach of the Pakistan team and is currently the director general of the PCB and a member of the PCB Governing Board.

It means Pakistan Team's Nai (Barber) is going to save a ton on his Ustura expenses.

Good thing for Pakistan Team though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    It means Pakistan Team's Nai (Barber) is going to save a ton on his Ustura expenses.

Good thing for Pakistan Team though.
    On the subject of Anwar’s beard, there is an interesting element to his posting (if it goes through). It was through Anwar that the increased importance of religion was introduced to the Pakistani team. For those that don’t know, Anwar became very religious after the tragic death of his 3 year old daughter. Subsequently, other players started to come under the influence of Anwar’s religious outlook as well. This included one Inzamam-ul-Haq and when Inzi became Captain religious zeal was in full force in the team. We all know that the issue of religion (more importantly the high emphasis of it) became controversial later on. PCB was accused of later purging all the “mullah’s” from the team. I doubt that Anwar in the present circumstances would have a similar affect on the team, but that’s one thing to keep an eye on.

Or probably I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    On the subject of Anwar’s beard, there is an interesting element to his posting (if it goes through). It was through Anwar that the increased importance of religion was introduced to the Pakistani team. For those that don’t know, Anwar became very religious after the tragic death of his 3 year old daughter. Subsequently, other players started to come under the influence of Anwar’s religious outlook as well. This included one Inzamam-ul-Haq and when Inzi became Captain religious zeal was in full force in the team. We all know that the issue of religion (more importantly the high emphasis of it) became controversial later on. PCB was accused of later purging all the “mullah’s” from the team. I doubt that Anwar in the present circumstances would have a similar affect on the team, but that’s one thing to keep an eye on.

Probably not. Since that period when INZI was captain & growed his beard, PAK where playing top cricket. Even Akhtar was looking a more team man.

It was a joke.

I know Saeed's story and how he turned to religion, what he experienced is probably the biggest fear for any parent. I like Saeed immensely and have a lot of respect for what he did as a player and even more for his belief. If all of us who believe in god can be like him, the world would be a much better place.

It was a joke.

I know Saeed's story and how he turned to religion, what he experienced is probably the biggest fear for any parent. I like Saeed immensely and have a lot of respect for what he did as a player and even more for his belief. If all of us who believe in god can be like him, the world would be a much better place.
    I know you were making a joke. It just reminded me of the issue I posted about. In reference to Anwar, I have no qualms with his approach toward religion. He seems like a very likable guy. In fact he was in Houston this year and I heard nothing but nice things from fans who ran into him.

As far as the emphasis of religion in the Pakistani team, it's fine as long as it doesn't go to extremes. My personal opinion is that during the Inzi years it did cross the boundary into "extreme".

I know you were making a joke. It just reminded me of the issue I posted about. In reference to Anwar, I have no qualms with his approach toward religion. He seems like a very likable guy. In fact he was in Houston this year and I heard nothing but nice things from fans who ran into him.

As far as the emphasis of religion in the Pakistani team, it's fine as long as it doesn't go to extremes. My personal opinion is that during the Inzi years it did cross the boundary into "extreme".
    Frrom what I have heard its Bob Woolmer who encouraged it since he felt for a mecurial side like Pakistan religon can bring a lot of stability and improve team unity.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Frrom what I have heard its Bob Woolmer who encouraged it since he felt for a mecurial side like Pakistan religon can bring a lot of stability and improve team unity.
    I've read Woolmer's quotes implying that as well. Personally I feel a little uncomfortable with it as it could alienate non-Muslims in the team (just Kaneria now?). There are 10 Hindus in my cricket squad of 13 and I think I'd feel a little awkward if they all started taking a hardline religious approach towards everything to do with cricket.
    RIP Craigos

if Saeed Anwer gets this job, i guess he can teach guys like butt to play a bit quick for the team & guys like Imran nazir that runs can be scored in singles also

Yousaf named Captain for NZ tour.

This is idiotic. I'm even more frustrated with Younis now. Not only is the team going to be without its true Captain for the tour, but possibly its best batsman as well. Also, let's just say that the team does great and wins the Test series. All that's going to do is cause even more controversy about who should be the Captain long term. I'm getting tired of this "I want the job/No I don't want the job" act. I realize this time he is just temporarily stepping aside, but the adverse effect on the team balance is still negative. Kamran Abbasi sums up my feelings in his blog from cricinfo below:

Younis makes no sense

Younis Khan has withdrawn from the tour of New Zealand requesting a break from cricket. This is nonsensical. Pakistan have barely broken sweat over the last two years. Younis has just won a pivotal power struggle to secure the captaincy. Pakistan require some consistency, not flip-flopping, and regular changes in leadership create inconsistency and doubt. The team needs to build its form and strategies for the big challenge of an Australian tour.

Moreover, Younis' mixed messages have become baffling. As much as many fans believe him to be the right choice as captain, he either wants the job badly enough to stick with it through thick and thin or should he give it up? The problem for Pakistan is that there are few genuine alternatives, and the selection of Mohammad Yousuf as stand-in captain underlines Pakistan's poverty of resources.

All the Pakistan fans who recently supported Younis against the establishment, like me, will be bemused, disappointed, and let down by his decision.

Younis Khan is a joke and an attention seeker.

Younis Khan is a joke and an attention seeker.
    As opposed to the alternatives (a mercenary or a cheat)

Glad that Pakistan won the T20 at it came at a good time for cricket and the country but I honestly couldnt care whether they ever win another match with the current bunch as they are all as bad as each other

School Boy/Girl Cricketer StumpMic's Avatar
    Yousaf named Captain for NZ tour.

This is idiotic. I'm even more frustrated with Younis now. Not only is the team going to be without its true Captain for the tour, but possibly its best batsman as well. Also, let's just say that the team does great and wins the Test series. All that's going to do is cause even more controversy about who should be the Captain long term.
    Its the smartest move. Yousuf deserves the captaincy because he is the best of the rest. I don't understand your point about the team missing its best batsman? Yousuf is the best not younis. This move will set up Yousuf for taking over the captaincy in the long run. It will bring stability to that aspect of the team and save us from the drama of Younis Khan.

I'm getting tired of this "I want the job/No I don't want the job" act. I realize this time he is just temporarily stepping aside, but the adverse effect on the team balance is still negative. Kamran Abbasi sums up my feelings in his blog from cricinfo below:
    On the one hand you think appointing Yousuf is idiotic and on the other you complain about how indecisive Younis is. Younis doesn't have his head straight. He doesn't deserve to be the captain.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    What kind of team is it when nine players go behind the captain's back to try to make him lose his job?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer StumpMic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    What kind of team is it when nine players go behind the captain's back to try to make him lose his job?
    Well I haven't been following the latest drama with the Pak team so not sure exactly what you mean but what difference does it make if they did? Mutinies are common in Pak cricket. Anyway younis doesn't deserve to be the captain because he keeps quitting over every little thing. He was a bad choice from the start. People just won't admit it because they don't like the alternative - yousuf.

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information