• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Cricket news/views

jeevan

International 12th Man
Given how litigious this particular PCB administration seems to be, any one would think hard about entering into contractual obligations with it (which is what the FTP is), especially when meeting those obligations involves big factors beyond its control.

This isn't about supporting Pakistani cricket but about not getting yourself sued.As far as the BCCI is concerned, there's a lot of money and publicity to be had any time an Indo-Pak series is on, and so it's own interests are quite aligned with playing Pakistan as much as possible.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I am not a big fan of PCB but recently they have taken some solid positions on several key issues which will be fruitful for Pakistan Cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket is quite organized in Pakistan. National & regional academies have been there for more then 15 years. Most of the current national team have come through these reigonal and national cricket academies. The main issue is nepotism at this level many a times these academies will only promote a cricketer for national camps or trials if he has a strong backing or has paid a huge donation for his selection. Very rarely a player is selected only on merit.

Fairy tale Akram-Waqar stories one tend to here are not totally 100% true these players are existing in the system but due to lack of influential support they are unable to break through all it needs is one influential guy to take a liking to them and these guys get promoted out of the blue. Miandad did it for Wasim and Waim did the same with Aamir
Damnnnnn, thats very bad.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Talent without Passion is nothing and will fade away soon. There is a reason Pakistani players come up with Reverse Swing, Doosra, Teesra, Jalebi etc.
Whats Teesra & Jalebi haa?. On the reverse swing, i have always been of the opinion that PAK with Sarfraz @ MCG 79 or 81 (cant remember the exact year ATM) may have perfected it. But i'm sure the likes of Trueman, Tyson 54/55, Hall etc would have been able to produce reverse swing.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Whats Teesra & Jalebi haa?. On the reverse swing, i have always been of the opinion that PAK with Sarfraz @ MCG 79 or 81 (cant remember the exact year ATM) may have perfected it. But i'm sure the likes of Trueman, Tyson 54/55, Hall etc would have been able to produce reverse swing.
Those are jalebis

:laugh::laugh:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Apparently a jelebi is a ball delivered with backspin so its sorta sticky(like the the desert above) to the pitch.

teesra = third one was the previous name of the 'jalebi'.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently a jelebi is a ball delivered with backspin so its sorta sticky(like the the desert above) to the pitch.

teesra = third one was the previous name of the 'jalebi'.
If someone called a ball a jalebi I would think it swung one way in the air, turned the other way off the pitch, took a U turn and came back a few inches towards the bowler, repeated the whole thing at least one more time before shooting off towards the batsman's head :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
If someone called a ball a jalebi I would think it swung one way in the air, turned the other way off the pitch, took a U turn and came back a few inches towards the bowler, repeated the whole thing at least one more time before shooting off towards the batsman's head :)
:laugh:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Hahaha. The first time I heard the term being used for a Saqi delivery I just had to youtube it. Was sorely disappointed.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I can do that with a crazy ball. :)

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
This can't hurt, considering we don't even have a batting coach ATM.

Anwar tipped as batting coach

Cricinfo staff

August 13, 2009

Former opener Saeed Anwar is expected to be hired by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) as a batting coach for the national team. A statement released by the PCB said Anwar had been approached by chairman Ijaz Butt and that he had emerged as a prime candidate.

"Chairman PCB today had a discussion with Saeed Anwar regarding utilisation of his services for cricket. The chairman and Saeed Anwar will meet in the coming week to discuss the plan in detail," the statement said.

Anwar, 40, reportedly offered to assist Pakistan, who have been struggling at the top of the innings recently. Butt hoped Anwar's expertise would help the team. "I am thankful for Saeed's encouraging response and his offer to assist PCB and Pakistan players. I am sure Saeed will be able to contribute a lot to Pakistan cricket," Butt said.

As an international player Anwar made his one-day international on New Year's Day 1989, and entered Test cricket two years later. In 55 Tests he scored 4052 runs at 45.52, including 11 hundreds, but he achieved global fame through his exploits in ODIs.

The PCB, in the interim, have appointed Javed Miandad as the batting adviser to the national team in preparation for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy. Pakistan collapsed thrice in the first two Tests to lose the series against Sri Lanka and Miandad's guidance, the board believes, will help the team address the problem. "We have requested Miandad help our team's batting before next month's Champions Trophy in South Africa and take care of (the team's) problems," Butt said at a press conference. "We had batting failures and I will be meeting each and every player here on Friday."

Miandad was a former coach of the Pakistan team and is currently the director general of the PCB and a member of the PCB Governing Board.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It means Pakistan Team's Nai (Barber) is going to save a ton on his Ustura expenses.

Good thing for Pakistan Team though. :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
It means Pakistan Team's Nai (Barber) is going to save a ton on his Ustura expenses.

Good thing for Pakistan Team though. :)
On the subject of Anwar’s beard, there is an interesting element to his posting (if it goes through). It was through Anwar that the increased importance of religion was introduced to the Pakistani team. For those that don’t know, Anwar became very religious after the tragic death of his 3 year old daughter. Subsequently, other players started to come under the influence of Anwar’s religious outlook as well. This included one Inzamam-ul-Haq and when Inzi became Captain religious zeal was in full force in the team. We all know that the issue of religion (more importantly the high emphasis of it) became controversial later on. PCB was accused of later purging all the “mullah’s” from the team. I doubt that Anwar in the present circumstances would have a similar affect on the team, but that’s one thing to keep an eye on.

Or probably I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
On the subject of Anwar’s beard, there is an interesting element to his posting (if it goes through). It was through Anwar that the increased importance of religion was introduced to the Pakistani team. For those that don’t know, Anwar became very religious after the tragic death of his 3 year old daughter. Subsequently, other players started to come under the influence of Anwar’s religious outlook as well. This included one Inzamam-ul-Haq and when Inzi became Captain religious zeal was in full force in the team. We all know that the issue of religion (more importantly the high emphasis of it) became controversial later on. PCB was accused of later purging all the “mullah’s” from the team. I doubt that Anwar in the present circumstances would have a similar affect on the team, but that’s one thing to keep an eye on.

Probably not. Since that period when INZI was captain & growed his beard, PAK where playing top cricket. Even Akhtar was looking a more team man.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

It was a joke.

I know Saeed's story and how he turned to religion, what he experienced is probably the biggest fear for any parent. I like Saeed immensely and have a lot of respect for what he did as a player and even more for his belief. If all of us who believe in god can be like him, the world would be a much better place.