• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing siblings and their performances

krkode

State Captain
So I was reading today's Cricinfo "All today's yesterday" column and saw how Mark Waugh replaced Steve Waugh in the test side back in '91. Eventually, of course, the two played together for a very long time. Steve will most likely go down in history as the better player over all, but it's no secret that Mark had a very illustrious career as well (128 matches is no laughing matter).

So I was curious - what are some other sibling pairs who played cricket (together or some years apart) for a long time and were both equally successful, if not in career record at least in terms of matches played.

Greg and Ian Chappell come to mind - Greg has the better career record but they both played a full career's worth of games so it could be said that like Mark and Steve both of them had an equally fruitful career. Compared to say, the third brother, Trevor.

Alternately, what are some other sibling pairs where both made it to the international level but one was vastly more successful than the other?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There's Andy and Grant Flower...

The Morkel brothers are getting on the scene now.

Will be interesting to see how the Pathan brothers go.

And I guess Dwayne Bravo's brother is nearly making it for the Windies..

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Martin and Jeff Crowe.

Both NZ captains, but Martin was definitely the more naturally talented player and this was reflected in their career stats. Jeff, if I remember correctly, was quite strong on his legs and the cut but was by no means as aesthetically pleasing as Martin.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alternately, what are some other sibling pairs where both made it to the international level but one was vastly more successful than the other?
The Hadlees... Barry and Dayle were obviously vastly inferior players to the remarkable Sir Richard.

The Marshalls - Both Hamish and James were good fielders at international level.

The Bracewells - I think there were four of them in total, but John had the most successful international career. Brendon Bracewell played a couple of games, but wasn't much cop. I don't even remember the names of the other two, so I doubt they ever played international.

Axel

Cricket Spectator
Brett and Shane Lee.

Shane played guitar which is a much cooler instrument than the bass Brett played, however Brett had a bit more luck cracking into the Indian pop scene while Shane's career faded...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The Bracewells - I think there were four of them in total, but John had the most successful international career. Brendon Bracewell played a couple of games, but wasn't much cop. I don't even remember the names of the other two, so I doubt they ever played international.
Mark has been a teacher/coach for years in Dunedin (teaching and coaching at Kavanagh College and helps run a few of the Otago age-grade teams). I think he played a few first-class matches, but that's about it. I can't remember the other brother off the top of my head

Brendon was actually pretty useful in the early part of his career, but - like every other NZ seamer - had injury problems and came back at a considerably reduced pace.

HeathDavisSpeed

Brendon was actually pretty useful in the early part of his career, but - like every other NZ seamer - had injury problems and came back at a considerably reduced pace.
This is as maybe, but I don't think John was much cop to be fair :ph34r:

EDIT: And is that Matt Goss (of BROS fame) behind Brett Lee in that photo above?

Precambrian

Banned
Bryan and Paul Strangs for Zimbabwe.

Guy and Andy Whittals again for Zimbabwe.

Hanif and Mustaq Mohammads for Pakistan. There were some more Mohammads, but these two were really good.

Mohinder and Surinder Amarnaths for India.

<Waiting for the Golden oldies of CW to fill in English and Australian fabulous fraternals)

fredfertang

There were three other Mohammad brothers - Wazir and Sadiq who had respectable test careers and Raees who never got further than twelfth man for a test - Shoaib was Hanif's son

There was also another Amarnath brother, Rajinder, who had a modest first class career but who has recently written a biography of their father, Lala, who was a very fine cricketer in the early Indian sides

Precambrian

Banned
There were three other Mohammad brothers - Wazir and Sadiq who had respectable test careers and Raees who never got further than twelfth man for a test - Shoaib was Hanif's son

There was also another Amarnath brother, Rajinder, who had a modest first class career but who has recently written a biography of their father, Lala, who was a very fine cricketer in the early Indian sides
Lala was legend! What an awesome FC allround record he had! Dunno whether he got enough opportunities at the right time to translate that into tests.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brothers who have been equally successful is a tough one, actually. Cricket is a dynastic sport and there a quite a few cricketing families, but generally one sibling outshines his brother(s).

The two who I thought of as having had roughly comparable careers so far are actually half-brothers: Pedro Collins and Fidel Edwards. Pedro has taken his wickets more cheaply, but as he's now Kolpaking it away at Surrey is unlikely to add to his tally whereas Fidel could yet reduce his rather unflattering average. Both of similar arseness with the blade too.

fredfertang

The only English brothers who have both had success at test level are JT and Ernest Tyldesley - JT was one of the stars of the Golden Age although his overall stats aren't as good as his more workmanlike younger brother (who only played in 14 tests) - there was a 16 year age gap and it was more than ten years after JT's last test that Ernest played his first

As for brothers playing in the same test side for England apart from the Studds who managed four tests in the 19th century there are the Hearnes, Graces, Richardsons and Hollioakes who have done it once and I suspect that is it

Perm

Mark has been a teacher/coach for years in Dunedin (teaching and coaching at Kavanagh College and helps run a few of the Otago age-grade teams). I think he played a few first-class matches, but that's about it. I can't remember the other brother off the top of my head
Yeah, we regularly encountered him and his son during the footy and cricket seasons. Hate Kavanaggh with a passion, but they've got some talent.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The only English brothers who have both had success at test level are JT and Ernest Tyldesley - JT was one of the stars of the Golden Age although his overall stats aren't as good as his more workmanlike younger brother (who only played in 14 tests) - there was a 16 year age gap and it was more than ten years after JT's last test that Ernest played his first

As for brothers playing in the same test side for England apart from the Studds who managed four tests in the 19th century there are the Hearnes, Graces, Richardsons and Hollioakes who have done it once and I suspect that is it
The Bedser twins were both pretty successful: of course Eric never played a Test, but 14,000 FC runs and 800 wickets isn't bad.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhammika, Sanjeewa and Nishantha were brothers of Arjuna Ranatunga. All played tests or ODIs for SL. But no one except Sanjeewa became close to Arjuna's sucess

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
For England, Tony and Ian Greig - though whoever decided to pick Ian for the Test team should have been subjected to urgent remedial brain surgery.