• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI fast bowlers of all time

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I did a search and could not find a thread about this topic so I'm starting one :).

Who are your top ten ODI fast bowlers of all time? Note that they should have played ODI cricket to be included.

Candidates (though you can argue anyone not on this list, this is just a reminder):

Aus:

Bracken
McGrath
Lee
McDermott
Gillespie
Rackemann
Alderman
Lillee

England:

Willis
Flintoff
Gough
Botham

India:

Pathan
Srinath
Agarkar
Kapil Dev
Zaheer Khan

New Zealand:

Bond
Hadlee
Chatfield
Mills

Pakistan:

Wasim
Waqar
Safraz Nawaz
Akhtar
Imran Khan

South Africa:

Donald
Pollock
Ntini
Kallis

Sri Lanka:

Vaas
Maharoof
Zoysa
Malinga

West Indies:

Garner
Ambrose
Roberts
Holding
Patterson
Walsh

Minnows:

Heath Streak
Mashrafe Mortaza

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
In no particular order, these are probably the 10 best of those I've seen. Simply can't comment on Imran, Hadlee and the likes as I've never seen them play.

Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Vaas
Shaun Pollock
Allan Donald
Bond
Ambrose
McGrath
Lee
Gough

Some of them weren't the tightest of bowlers so I've picked a few who were arguably a little expensive but were tremendous strike bowlers. Ex. Waqar and Lee. Interestingly, they are the two highest-placed fast bowlers in the list of most ODI 5-wicket hauls. The same with most ODI 4-wicket hauls except Wasim jumps in between the two.

krkode

State Captain
Dude, Pathan? Ajit?
He was just listing candidates from each country as a mode of organization. Don't get your panties in a bunch. ;)

That said, as long as we're listing candidates, Zaheer Khan probably belongs in the "India candidates" list.

duffer

Not really angered or anything just surprised he'd list those two in there. That said we don't exactly have a huge line of people queueing up for selection here.

stephen

He was just listing candidates from each country as a mode of organization. Don't get your panties in a bunch. ;)

That said, as long as we're listing candidates, Zaheer Khan probably belongs in the "India candidates" list.
Yeah I tried to give each country (except the minnows) at least a couple of candidates, even if they realistically don't have a chance. Heck, I'd probably put Bruce Reid as better than many of the bowlers I've listed. I'll still add Khan to the original post.

stephen

Vaas Zoysa Malinga de Silva

All better than Maharoof.

Heck Kula could probably already be put above him.
Yeah TBH I was really only looking at bowlers with 80+ wickets, which kinda counts out de Silva but I've added Zoysa and Malinga to the list. Still, if you feel that de Silva has earned his place in the top 10 ODI fast bowlers of all time then by all means, provide a list :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
SM Pollock
GD McGrath
SE Bond
AA Donald
Waqar Younis
Wasim Akram
J Garner
CEL Ambrose
SIR RJ Hadlee
MA Holding