• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI fast bowlers of all time

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But on the flip side if there are wickets falling regularly at the hands of the other bowlers, then you're bowling at new-to-the-crease batsmen who aren't able to get any partnerships going. When you come on for a new spell, you're less likely to be facing a set opponent.

It also gives you the chance to more regularly bowl at tailenders.
Yeah that's true but then again Curtly generally opened the bowling. And if he took wickets he'd stay in the attack for a good seven of his overs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Question to the experts - was Pollock really that reknowned for his death bowling?

Granted, until this year I've not followed much ODI cricket outwith English summers and the World Cup in 2007 - but I don't remember Pollock being used as much (if at all) during the death. IIRC, Smith liked to get Pollock's overs out the way before the death.

tooextracool

International Coach
Anyhow, my top 10 is based on those I have actually seen bowl. Cant be bothered picking players from the 80s when ODI cricket was not even close to the standard that we see these days.

Mcgrath
Ambrose
Pollock
Mullally
Akram
Bond
Waqar
Larsen
Bracken
Flintoff

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is really hard to see how Willis and worse Botham or even Flintoff are considered for this list while not including Allan Mullally.
Mullulay didn't make the list because he had an average over 25 and only took 63 wickets. There were certainly better bowlers who were more consistent over time.

And yet if you want you are allowed to debate the player... that's the point of the thread :laugh:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyhow, my top 10 is based on those I have actually seen bowl. Cant be bothered picking players from the 80s when ODI cricket was not even close to the standard that we see these days.

Mcgrath
Ambrose
Pollock
Mullally
Akram
Bond
Waqar
Larsen
Bracken
Flintoff
Larsen lol. :laugh:

Uppercut

Mcgrath
Ambrose
Pollock
Mullally
Akram
Bond
Waqar
Larsen
Bracken
Flintoff
Mullally i'll accept, but Larsen no way. Chaminda Vaas is surely the better option? I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you completely forgot about Allan Donald.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mullulay didn't make the list because he had an average over 25 and only took 63 wickets. There were certainly better bowlers who were more consistent over time.

And yet if you want you are allowed to debate the player... that's the point of the thread :laugh:
Errr he only played 50 ODIs, you cant dock someone because of the policy of the board for focusing more on tests than ODIs. He averages only 1 run more than Gough and his ER>>>>>than Gough.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mullally i'll accept, but Larsen no way. Chaminda Vaas is surely the better option? I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you completely forgot about Allan Donald.
Vaas and Donald both came to mind. However Vaas I get the feeling has thrived against the minnows and not done as well against the top countries while Donald's overall record is good but nothing special given the era in which he played in.

Uppercut

Vaas and Donald both came to mind. However Vaas I get the feeling has thrived against the minnows and not done as well against the top countries while Donald's overall record is good but nothing special given the era in which he played in.
Larsen>Donald in ODIs?

tooextracool

International Coach
Larsen>Donald in ODIs?
Its not an out and out difference, but theres definetly a case for it yes. Donald was often wayward with the new ball and struggled when it came to the death. He was a good ODI bowler but hes not as good as the other 10 on the list.

Flem274*

123/5
Larsen would be chuffed if he read this.

Harry would be fuming though, he already will be after starring with 12* in 86 a.o. in a List A semi today.

sunilreddy

Banned
Wasim Akram
Shaun Pollock
Glenn Mcgrath
Waqar Younis
Sir Richard Hadlee
Allan Donald
C Ambrose
Shane Bond
Joel Garner
Javagal Srinath

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You miss the point in that Pollock is one of the most economical bowlers of all time, in his 303 ODI's he only went at more than a run a ball 12 times over his whole career!

This all during the era of powerplays and fielding restrictions and the advent of T20 power hitting.

Against the West Indies he averaged 24.20 with an economy of 3.56.

While he wasn't one of the greatest strikers with the ball in history (though by no means terrible at it) he was by far one of the most measly bowlers in history. In ODI cricket that is extremely valuable.

Amazing stat, that.