• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England axe Test for South Africa tour

biased indian

International Coach
England didn't want to play the third test in india and now they have dropped the fifth test in SA .. Link

and interestingly the ODI /T20 hungry BCCI have gone and asked NZC to increase the 2 test series to a 3 test one :cool:

howardj

International Coach
Mate, that's pretty disappointing. I love 5 Test series, and England v SA is certainly, in my mind, an icon series worth preserving.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Had this in Grinds my gears, it's the PE test they have axed and I'm fuming about it. I hate the IPL and all other bull**** that gets fed this way..

What grates even more is that they schedule two tests within about half an hour of each other (Johannesburg and Centurion), where they can expect to fill about, say 20% of the stadia, and yet we in PE, which AFAIK is bigger than Centurion/Pretoria, have to drive 784km for our nearest test match.. That must be further than any other nation, unless you live in say, Alice Springs

And then you get the elements who yadder on about test cricket being sacred and there is no way that this hit and giggle BS can touch it.. Well bro's, it's happening already and I'm sick of it

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Obviously I'd rather have five Tests than four, but it's not the end of the world IMO. The schedule is rammed so it does kinda make sense to do this, although if the players are tired then they shouldn't be going to the IPL. Colly did say himself that they had no right to complain IIRC.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa shouldn't play test cricket in P.E., 'bogey ground'.

**** about losing a 5th test though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do we really normally play 5 tests against SA? I thought it was normally three or four anyway.
They passed a ruling on it over the summer to say that it will always be 5 tests in future due to its standing. Unfortunately, it seems these rulings can be overturned as quickly as they're made.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Damn I wanted to do my patented "damn the BCCI" thing when England **** things up, but its already done.

So...

England dropped a test vs. India
England are having a best of 7 ODI series with Australia
England dropped a test vs. South Africa

The irony is gold.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just me or are England showing severe signs of being over cricket and each other at the moment. The blow up with Pietersen and Moores, players seemingly demanding that tours away get shortened. Just reading Gilly's account of how the Aussie team was feeling in the lead up to and during the 05 Ashes and there seem to be some parallels...

Uppercut

Just me or are England showing severe signs of being over cricket and each other at the moment. The blow up with Pietersen and Moores, players seemingly demanding that tours away get shortened. Just reading Gilly's account of how the Aussie team was feeling in the lead up to and during the 05 Ashes and there seem to be some parallels...
Hmm, nah i'm not having that. A stray cricket ball, an inspired England attack, Freddie Flintoff, Michael Kasprowicz's glove, Warney dropping KP, Ponting having a bowl, reverse swing and Vaughan's captaincy I will accept. "We were over cricket and over each other", not a chance.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
They passed a ruling on it over the summer to say that it will always be 5 tests in future due to its standing. Unfortunately, it seems these rulings can be overturned as quickly as they're made.
Huh... oh well, I'm not too bothered. Four tests is good... it's the two-test series that really annoy me.

Matt79

Global Moderator
tbf, I'm not saying that Gilchrist said that they lost in 05 because they were over cricket. He said that it was a contributing factor that meant that they didn't respond well when things like reverse swing started happening. He was really just saying that that attitudinal problem meant that they were especially vulnerable when a team did step it up against them.

Uppercut

tbf, I'm not saying that Gilchrist said that they lost in 05 because they were over cricket. He said that it was a contributing factor that meant that they didn't respond well when things like reverse swing started happening. He was really just saying that that attitudinal problem meant that they were especially vulnerable when a team did step it up against them.
Yeah i know, but i don't even think it was a legitimate factor. Who exactly should have "stepped it up"? Glenn McGrath was injured. Brett Lee played very well anyway. Tait, Gillespie and Kasprowicz weren't great players at that stage anyway, it's debateable whether they even had an extra gear to go to. Shane Warne was unreal. Gilchrist was done by a fantastically executed plan. Katich was new to tests. Ponting and Langer played pretty well. Hayden and Martyn were out of form. Katich and Clarke were still pretty new to test cricket. Which of those players would have responded better had there not been an "attitude problem" preceding the series? I don't believe any of them would have made a difference itbt.

For me it's a non-factor. Something that sounds logical in itself, but when you look in more detail didn't really appear to contribute.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England dropped a test vs. India
England are having a best of 7 ODI series with Australia
England dropped a test vs. South Africa

The irony is gold.
You can add in there that the BCCI asked for an extra test away in New Zealand when

(i) There'll be little money in it
(ii) India historically hate playing in NZ