• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which commentators irritate the pits out of you?

Something_Fishy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Was watching the Warriors vs Titans T20 game on TV but after a while I had to switch to Sky because of Kepler Wessels. "So ya..."
I can't stand the guy. But, amazingly, there are worse guys than him, namely:
Ranjit Fernando
Ian Botham
Geoff Boycott
James Brayshaw
Ian Healy
Bill Lawry
Tony Greig
Paul Adams (he is CRAP)
And that Zim oke, dunno his name.
These guys either bore me to death, have no idea what they are talking about, or are biased as hell!!!

Having said that, there are a few really good guys that know what they are talking about. My favourite is a three-way tie between Pommie Mbangwa, Ian Bishop and the no-so-current Mike Haysman.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Nasser Hussain
Charles Colville
Mark Nicholas
Ian Botham
Ian Healy
Michael Slater

Not necessarily bad commentators, just the annoying ones IMO.

Xuhaib

International Coach
haha...the quality keeps on dropping listening to Dominac Cork and Russel Arnold has been excruciating.

Evermind

International Debutant
I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: all Australian and Asian commentators are terrible. Mark Nicholas is insufferable.

The English are the best, followed by the West Indians. Boycott is an ornery old fart, but he's entertaining.

I enjoy David Lloyd's commentary.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: all Australian and Asian commentators are terrible. Mark Nicholas is insufferable.

The English are the best, followed by the West Indians. Boycott is an ornery old fart, but he's entertaining.
Agree with that.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I cannot stand Mark Nicholas. He always sounds like he's having intimate relations with the players he's commenting on.

Also I'm not a big fan of Nasser Hussain in the commentary box. He has an annoying habit of stating the bleeding obvious. I'm sure most will disagree with me on Nass though.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Nasser does state the obvious, but he also reads the game quite well and so makes an OK commentator (although not one of the best). Personally, don't mind Beefy or Mark Nicholas either but its obvious why a lot of people find them irritating.

Ian Healy and Tony Grieg both annoy the bejesus out of me, as does Bob Willis although he can also be entertaining when he's just slagging everyone off for everything.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Ranjith "sort of" Fernando
dont know why they keep paying him,

Ian Healy I cannot stand this man,
one just has to listen to his commentary at the end of the one dayer at the MCG other day

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's Rodney Hogg's verdict on Richie Benaud's commentating these days:

"He is like a great LP from the '60s or '70s that you can't play anymore because it has a scratch on it."

David Lloyd pisses me off most.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Healy's the worst, although he has tempered the rank ocker chippiness a bit of late. Botham is a dunderhead of some distinction, one only has to listen to him to realise why he was toss as a captain.

I think Mark Taylor knows his onions, but can't be doing with that voice. He talks like he's on a bonus for how quickly he finishes a sentence and has a bad case of the RAI, so everything hangs like a question, even when it isn't.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The Channel 9 team. With them it always seems like their chummy banter is what they're paid for, and the actual game is a secondary distraction.

Natman20

International Debutant
The Channel 9 team. With them it always seems like their chummy banter is what they're paid for, and the actual game is a secondary distraction.
Seconded. Of course Ian Smith. Just stick with rugby ... some times he never shuts up, makes early result predictions, has a lot of bias and talks about absolute rubbish.

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bill Lawry and Tony Coezier(sp?) are shocking. I can't stand to listen to either of them for long.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
terrible - biggest disappointment is that there is a time lag between the ABC (radio) and TV. Much prefer listening on the radio.

I can't stand biased commentary and the Aussies are pretty appalling.
Always enjoyed the supersport team when in Africa for their lack of bias.

krkode

State Captain
Honestly, I can't place most commentators by voice because I haven't watched live cricket regularly for a long time, but Sunil Gavaskar is someone I find fairly annoying. And Ramiz Raja to an extent.

As for people I enjoy listening to: probably Ravi Shastri and Tony Greig.