• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Injuries

Langeveldt

Soutie
Feeling like Nasser Hussain at the moment (although not as good)....

Ive cracked my left thumb five times (ive only been playing four years), cracked my right thumb at the beginning of the season, and ive just cracked my ring finger... all done while fielding...

Bowling legspin was the most painful thing imaginable, couldnt feel much by the end of it, although i took 2-44..

Anyone else suffering at the moment, whats your worst or weirdest sporting injury? Or dont you get them?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
LE's sporting catalogue of disaster

Aged 9 - cracked rib playing rugby. Pain factor 7/10, 9/10 every time I breathed for a month.
Aged 10 - went off 5 metre diving board, hit 3 metre diving board on the way down. Hospital, skin grafts. Pain factor 2/10 at the time, 9/10 after I woke up, 10/10 whenever they changed the paraffin gauze dressings every day for 6 weeks.
Aged 15 - torn knee cartilage playing football. Pain factor 6/10
Aged 16 - broken big toe playing 5-a-side football. Pain factor 4/10
Aged 21 - broken thumb playing cricket. Pain factor 4/10
Aged 25 or so - broken collar bone playing football. Pain factor 6/10
Aged 25 or so - broken index finger (cricket) - Pain factor 2/10
Aged 30 or so - a beaut. 5 breaks and 2 dislocations in my right hand (fabulous one-handed catch left-handed, hit the ground with my right hand and fell on it, totally smashing 2 fingers. Pain factor 0/10 at the time (I just put a wicket-keeping inner glove on and soaked it, finished the match and went to hospital later). Pain factor after I'd seen the X-rays - 9/10
Aged 40 - broken ankle (my last but one cricket match). Pain factor 5/10
Aged 40 - dislocated shoulder (my last cricket match). Pain factor 3/10 until our umpire put it back, then 9/10 for the car drive to hospital (I was driving).
Aged 45 - snapped tendon (finger) - tenpin bowling. Pain factor 4/10.
Aged 48 - torn cartilage again (tenpin bowling). Pain factor 6/10

I might have missed a few.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ouch!

That beauty where you dived on your right hand and broke everything, well pretty much the same thing happened to our opening bowler two weeks ago, although he didnt look like having a pain factor of 0/10

I broke my nose playing rugby, a godsend because it meant i could justify giving the damn sport up :P

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Ouch!

That beauty where you dived on your right hand and broke everything, well pretty much the same thing happened to our opening bowler two weeks ago, although he didnt look like having a pain factor of 0/10

I broke my nose playing rugby, a godsend because it meant i could justify giving the damn sport up :P
The hand just went totally numb - shock, I suppose.
Forgot about breaking my nose twice.

Once playing football, and once whilst playing with my daughter who was 3 at the time ('get that stitched' she said as she nutted me)

Do drinking injuries count? A pal of mine spoke to me when we were in a wine bar in Bristol in about 1985. I turned round - and walked straight into the neck of a wine bottle he was offering.
Broke my eye socket.

Yes, my philosophy IS 'Drink hard, skive hard'.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I cracked my thumb one day before my club final this year and was at the doctor until about 30 minutes before the games started..

But I played my best game ever.. fielding awesome and scoring 88*

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i got my first ever half century batting with a broken thumb.
the day before the game i broke is wicketkeeping in practice. Then in the game on 40* i got hit on it and retired hurt, when i came off they told me i was on 40 so i went back out and make another 17 to finish with 57* and i declared.

Worst one i did was batting in the nets, nit my ankle with the bat and cracked something in there, i was supposed to miss 4 weeks, but i battled on bravely.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
Worst one i did was batting in the nets, nit my ankle with the bat and cracked something in there, i was supposed to miss 4 weeks, but i battled on bravely.
Is that supposed to say "hit"?

If so, how did you do that?!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
cricket

Many, many, many jarred fingers

sprained both wrists 3 or 4 times each

sprained both ankles, right twice, left twice

broke a collar bone

broken right thumb and index finger

cracked 2 ribs

and plenty of bruises

non cricketing

touch football - Ruptured anterior cruciate ligament

tennis - sprained ankle - left and sprained wrist, right

Simon

marc71178 said:
Is that supposed to say "hit"?

If so, how did you do that?!
I was playing a flick off my legs, but instead of hitting the ball i hit my ankle. it really did hurt.

Cloete

International Captain
i'm glad to say i've never really had a bad injury in my life. although i think i might have done something to the muscle/bone in the side of my foot. i came down the stairs and when i put my foot onto the ground at the bottom i twisted it(dunno if this has happened to n e 1 else, but you know when sometimes ur walking and u sort of stumble and land with ur foot on the side?) well that's wat happened only this time i had all my weight on it. it hurt a fair bit. i did it about 2-3 weeks ago but i haven't got it checked or n e thing, it still hurts on occasions. i can;t be stuffed going to the doctor for sumthin so minor.

also on teh subject of broken noses, my friend has broken his 7 times. he says it doesn't hurt it just fells like as sore as when u cut urself(not a deep cut).

i guess i've been pretty lucky. considering i was in a car accident with my family when i was 3. my dad broke his ribs and nose and ended up in a wheelchair(he's out now). my mum passed out and broke sumthin. my sister had glass in her face and her colalr bone snapped and came out of her skin(yeah it actually came out of her skin:O). i remember the whole thing. but i was left with an oval shaped cut about the size of a toffee on the top of my wrist. so i guess i'm pretty lucky with injuries. also i seem to land well. the number of times i've been slamemd down in rugby are unbelievable. and every1 is like OMG is he dead has he broken sumthin. and i normally get up and start playign again.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dislocated my shoulder hiting a six once :O that was really painfull because the bat renched my arm around backwards in the follow through.

I was also hit in the face with a beamer once as well but thats a bit vage I was out cold for about 2-3 minutes I cant remember it happening but I do have a small scar on my nose to prove it .

Lesson I learned dont about that? dont try and play the hook shot to fast head high beamers lol.. Just get out they way thats if you pick them up at all.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
broncoman said:
I was playing a flick off my legs, but instead of hitting the ball i hit my ankle. it really did hurt.
I did that once, the bowler was a slow trundler, I was trying to heave the ball out of the ground, put my front leg forward, bat came down heavily and crashed on my left ankle....... my whole leg went numb for half a minute before it hurt me so badly i had to leave practice.

In only my third ever outing with the bat I got a hip-high full toss from a very fast bowler which hit my hand and really really hurt.

A year ago I dislocated the joint at the base of my right little finger, 'till this day it really hurts when I take a catch.

Just a week ago whilst practising for the U-19 national trials, I badly twisted my left knee and had to miss the trials because I couldn't run, jog, or bend the knee at all, it really was annoying.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Years ago when I used to my "Bradman" training, I banged my knee several times playing the flick shot.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
R_Powell_fan said:
I did that once, the bowler was a slow trundler, I was trying to heave the ball out of the ground, put my front leg forward, bat came down heavily and crashed on my left ankle....... my whole leg went numb for half a minute before it hurt me so badly i had to leave practice.

Ah, cricket comedy at its finest.
It happens in tenpin quite a lot. Many novices bowl 'off the wrong foot' and give their ankle a resounding whack. Funny when it's an 8lb ball.
Hysterically funny when it's a 15lb ball.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
It must be hard to distinguish between a red sphere racing towards you and a part of your body attached to your leg!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
June 99 - Cricket Nets, top edged medium pacer playing a hook shot, straight into front tooth. Still haven't found my tooth.

Nov 00 - Cross Country, collided with someone, fell, landed on left elbow. Breakage. Complete rest of course. Arm in cast all through GCSE Mocks (good thing it was my left!)

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yes. God forbid that you should be forced to miss an exam. :P
Nope, they get you a scriber.. who you have to dictate the whole paper to while they write it down for you... Well that's what they did at my school.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
June 99 - Cricket Nets, top edged medium pacer playing a hook shot, straight into front tooth. Still haven't found my tooth.

Have you looked behind the fridge? (obscure Red Dwarf reference).

Alternatively, ask Killer Harbhajan - he's in the business of knocking teeth out (even more obscure World Cup 2003 DD story)