Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Sledging

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by matts20891 View Post
    I'm not sure if you said it but someone else mentioned sledging is for people who can't play cricket. What about the greats such as Allen Border and Shane Warne? Are you saying they can't play cricket? But they were just two of the best sledgers I've ever heard.

Sledging can bring the game down for everyone, that is why you need to think about what ur about to say and the context you are about to say it in.

I think i've just about covered it all...
    Depends on the sports culture of the person. A seemingly harmless banter in Australia like that sister comment could invoke huge trouble in the subcontinent.

As I would say, a common ground is inevitably no talk on the pitch when it comes to International cricket.

And for a Border or a Warne, there are Tendulkar and Dravid who always let the willow talk.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Depends on the sports culture of the person. A seemingly harmless banter in Australia like that sister comment could invoke huge trouble in the subcontinent.

As I would say, a common ground is inevitably no talk on the pitch when it comes to International cricket.

And for a Border or a Warne, there are Tendulkar and Dravid who always let the willow talk.
    haha okay that is also true

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that there is a specific set of circumstances where it is OK to sledge. It should not just be done willy nilly whenever you feel like it, and it should not be done in excess. And most importantly, should never cross the boundary of a joke and getting personal.

Does this make it clearer??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by matts20891 View Post
    haha okay that is also true

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that there is a specific set of circumstances where it is OK to sledge. It should not just be done willy nilly whenever you feel like it, and it should not be done in excess. And most importantly, should never cross the boundary of a joke and getting personal.

Does this make it clearer??
    Agree with that.

And wherever one is not certain what the boundaries are, the best option is to keep shut.

Cricket Spectator
    Agree with that.

And wherever one is not certain what the boundaries are, the best option is to keep shut.
    For sure...

Mate thanks for your explanation it has cleared up somewhat a few misconceptions from my end.

When I look back at the 20 odd years of cricket that I've played I remember vividly those games where we were very serious and sledging wasn't even bothered with. And when played in that feeling of mutual respect cricket is the very best game in the world.

Shame of it is that younger blokes take from their role models a different form of cricket that I just cannot stand. And that kind isn't fun.
    "There isn't any such thing as a crisis, only the next ball"
    Geoffrey Boycott

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    Mate thanks for your explanation it has cleared up somewhat a few misconceptions from my end.

When I look back at the 20 odd years of cricket that I've played I remember vividly those games where we were very serious and sledging wasn't even bothered with. And when played in that feeling of mutual respect cricket is the very best game in the world.

Shame of it is that younger blokes take from their role models a different form of cricket that I just cannot stand. And that kind isn't fun.
    haha well I'm glad you feel that way now and I can understand how someone can feel as you did before.

But like I said, your were right in what u said before, its just that it is possible for there to be a time and a place for these things to occur in a good natured spirit.

Thanks

Heard a racist one not long ago.

This guy drives like an asian.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylez View Post

Nice one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylez View Post

Still Lolworthy. Harmless.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Haha nah i'm a big fan of Warney and Border's sledges. I'd hate all the craic to be taken out of cricket cos some stuffy subcontinentals don't like it. If someone looks like the Sherminator it's okay to tell him so.

The punchline is the fourth paragraph.

But Bell, 24, had the last laugh as he was unbeaten at the end of the fourth day with England 59-1 ? a lead of 97 in the Second Test at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Still Lolworthy. Harmless.

No I still thought it was funny. Just thought some people could get offended.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    I was the number 11 batsman usually for my side (University side) . But my liking to bash spinners once given me a chance to bat at 7. When I walked in to the middle the opposition captain (a certain SL national player) came to short cover. When I took guard he remarked "hey, you a**sehole, you are going to hit the ball right here in the air". I got cranked up a bit, a leggie was bowling, I went down the track first ball and took it as a full toss and hit it inside out past short covers head for one bounce four. Then I looked at him and retorted "Save your f*cking head, and get back to cover"
    Hahaha awesome. Taught an awesome lesson to that di**head. I hate those who play better cricket and still try to take down on players which are at a lower level. Same thing happened at my coaching centre. Have replied them back with my batting or bowling skills rather than doing any talking.

I never sledge anyone until I am totally frustrated or on fire but not being successful to some extent.
    It's In Teh Game !!! - My Little Cricket Blog !

Poking at it like his first root my personal favourite
    Demon fast bowler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    1.This guy has more leaves than a tree
    2. I have better blocks in my lego set
    3. This fielder couldn't even catch a cold.
    4. The batsmen drives like a taxi
    5. The batsman got his bat from a cave

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by jathu View Post
    1.This guy has more leaves than a tree
    2. I have better blocks in my lego set
    3. This fielder couldn't even catch a cold.
    4. The batsmen drives like a taxi
    5. The batsman got his bat from a cave
    Put your seat belts on because this guy can't drive
    He's like kids scissors, can't cut

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information