• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Sledging

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I was the number 11 batsman usually for my side (University side) . But my liking to bash spinners once given me a chance to bat at 7. When I walked in to the middle the opposition captain (a certain SL national player) came to short cover. When I took guard he remarked "hey, you a**sehole, you are going to hit the ball right here in the air". I got cranked up a bit, a leggie was bowling, I went down the track first ball and took it as a full toss and hit it inside out past short covers head for one bounce four. Then I looked at him and retorted "Save your f*cking head, and get back to cover"

matts20891

Cricket Spectator
I personally never sledge I think it's for idiots that can't actually play but the best one I heard was in a final a few years back.. we were playing against some teenagers..

Captain comes out he's in his late 30's- a bit of grey in the hair.. first slip pipes up second ball..

"Hey do you think he's got grey hair in his ar*ehole?" General laughter all round..

Needless to say we smashed the little loud mouths.. taught them to concentrate on their cricket not on their sledging..

Okay, a few things:
1. No, our team can't play cricket, thats what makes these funny
2. We all pretty much know each other, so that makes it twice as fun
3. And finally, this thread is for sledging and while I appreciate anyone who has some good ones to say or some constructive criticism to offer, I would rather that the crap about sledging being unsportsmanlike or its only "for idiots" is left out thankyou.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
(after a 'precision leave'/play-and-miss)

He's fishing more than Andrew Symonds.

Our school team's midget leggie came up with it.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Okay, a few things:
1. No, our team can't play cricket, thats what makes these funny
2. We all pretty much know each other, so that makes it twice as fun
3. And finally, this thread is for sledging and while I appreciate anyone who has some good ones to say or some constructive criticism to offer, I would rather that the crap about sledging being unsportsmanlike or its only "for idiots" is left out thankyou.
I'm sorry didn't realise that I couldn't sledge sledging 8-)

But again anyone who sledges is to me a total tool and should be playing a different sport.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Something instead of sledging I just do stuff to annoy the batsmen, not actually say too much, just repeat things and stuff.

But again anyone who sledges is to me a total tool and should be playing a different sport.
Why is that?

Sledging is a big part of the game and great to get involved with.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Something instead of sledging I just do stuff to annoy the batsmen, not actually say too much, just repeat things and stuff.

Why is that?

Sledging is a big part of the game and great to get involved with.

I disagree.. I don't think it was ever originally intended to be part of the game to comment derogatively about a persons appearance or ***ual preference just so they nick the next ball. Fine line between encouraging the bowler and insulting the batsman.

I've had experiences where I'm half way through congratulating a bowler on the excellence of a delivery when I get a mouthfull a crap spat in my face by the bowler & the slips. It just isn't a fun way to spend your day.

Likewise the original niceties of cricket have died off.. ie "Good shot mate" when you get hit to the boundary.. or "well batted" when you get someone out not a big "F*** Y**" and screaming like an idiot in some z grade match where nothing is at stake.

It just brings the game down for everyone. By all means have a laugh but not at the expense of having fun.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Likewise the original niceties of cricket have died off.. ie "Good shot mate" when you get hit to the boundary.. or "well batted" when you get someone out not a big "F*** Y**" and screaming like an idiot in some z grade match where nothing is at stake.
TBH, when I'm standing at slip and someone plays a nice shot, I instinctively comment on it by saying 'nice shot' or something so I don't really think its true that the niceties of the game have died off.

For me, sledging is a big part of the game at every level, and has always been. It is quite rare for a batsman to be given a proper big send off in lower levels of cricket (unless theres reason).

Back on topic, 'He's not as good a hooker as his sister' always goes down well.

matts20891

Cricket Spectator
I disagree.. I don't think it was ever originally intended to be part of the game to comment derogatively about a persons appearance or ***ual preference just so they nick the next ball. Fine line between encouraging the bowler and insulting the batsman.

I've had experiences where I'm half way through congratulating a bowler on the excellence of a delivery when I get a mouthfull a crap spat in my face by the bowler & the slips. It just isn't a fun way to spend your day.

It just brings the game down for everyone. By all means have a laugh but not at the expense of having fun.
You are right, but only to a certain extent. It may not have been intended to be a part of the game, but guess what? In some cases it has. Okay, yes, it is degrading and disappointing when it is said out of hatred to actually put someone down, insult them and throw them off target, especially in your case where you were complimenting the bowler. However, I believe there is a certain context of the game (for example, mine) where it is okay to throw in the odd comment for reasons that I have previously discussed with others who share your opinion.
Firstly, we all know each other in our comp. We expect to receive comments from other players we have a laugh about it, then go out there and give it right back to them. We enjoy it and in our small comp there is no need to take the game so seriously.
Secondly, a joke is a joke. If we see a batsmen is taking it to heart or we accidently cross a line, we back right off and give him his space. I, nor my team, are out to hurt anyone's feelings, just to enjoy the game a bit more.
Thirdly, I disagree completely with the 'niceties of cricket'. They have not disappeared at all. It is quite common to hear compliments between teams both on and off the field. Being a wicket keeper, I love having a chat to the batsmen and telling him that kind of stuff, like he timed that last one really well.
Fourthly, I never have, and hope I never have to resort to saying such comments as F*** Y**. That is just unsportsmanlike and totally against the spirit of the game.

I'm not sure if you said it but someone else mentioned sledging is for people who can't play cricket. What about the greats such as Allen Border and Shane Warne? Are you saying they can't play cricket? But they were just two of the best sledgers I've ever heard.

Sledging can bring the game down for everyone, that is why you need to think about what ur about to say and the context you are about to say it in.

I think i've just about covered it all...

Precambrian

Banned
I'm not sure if you said it but someone else mentioned sledging is for people who can't play cricket. What about the greats such as Allen Border and Shane Warne? Are you saying they can't play cricket? But they were just two of the best sledgers I've ever heard.

Sledging can bring the game down for everyone, that is why you need to think about what ur about to say and the context you are about to say it in.

I think i've just about covered it all...
Depends on the sports culture of the person. A seemingly harmless banter in Australia like that sister comment could invoke huge trouble in the subcontinent.

As I would say, a common ground is inevitably no talk on the pitch when it comes to International cricket.

And for a Border or a Warne, there are Tendulkar and Dravid who always let the willow talk.

matts20891

Cricket Spectator
Depends on the sports culture of the person. A seemingly harmless banter in Australia like that sister comment could invoke huge trouble in the subcontinent.

As I would say, a common ground is inevitably no talk on the pitch when it comes to International cricket.

And for a Border or a Warne, there are Tendulkar and Dravid who always let the willow talk.
haha okay that is also true

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that there is a specific set of circumstances where it is OK to sledge. It should not just be done willy nilly whenever you feel like it, and it should not be done in excess. And most importantly, should never cross the boundary of a joke and getting personal.

Does this make it clearer??

Precambrian

Banned
haha okay that is also true

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that there is a specific set of circumstances where it is OK to sledge. It should not just be done willy nilly whenever you feel like it, and it should not be done in excess. And most importantly, should never cross the boundary of a joke and getting personal.

Does this make it clearer??
Agree with that.

And wherever one is not certain what the boundaries are, the best option is to keep shut.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Mate thanks for your explanation it has cleared up somewhat a few misconceptions from my end.

When I look back at the 20 odd years of cricket that I've played I remember vividly those games where we were very serious and sledging wasn't even bothered with. And when played in that feeling of mutual respect cricket is the very best game in the world.

Shame of it is that younger blokes take from their role models a different form of cricket that I just cannot stand. And that kind isn't fun.

matts20891

Cricket Spectator
Mate thanks for your explanation it has cleared up somewhat a few misconceptions from my end.

When I look back at the 20 odd years of cricket that I've played I remember vividly those games where we were very serious and sledging wasn't even bothered with. And when played in that feeling of mutual respect cricket is the very best game in the world.

Shame of it is that younger blokes take from their role models a different form of cricket that I just cannot stand. And that kind isn't fun.
haha well I'm glad you feel that way now and I can understand how someone can feel as you did before.

But like I said, your were right in what u said before, its just that it is possible for there to be a time and a place for these things to occur in a good natured spirit.

Thanks

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Haha nah i'm a big fan of Warney and Border's sledges. I'd hate all the craic to be taken out of cricket cos some stuffy subcontinentals don't like it. If someone looks like the Sherminator it's okay to tell him so.

The punchline is the fourth paragraph.

But Bell, 24, had the last laugh as he was unbeaten at the end of the fourth day with England 59-1 ? a lead of 97 in the Second Test at Adelaide.
:unsure: