• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TWC quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wondering if anyone on CW is taking part in this year's Wisden Cricketer Christmas Quiz? Theres only a week or so to get entries in I believe. I'm finding it much harder than last year's quiz - have probably spent twice as long already and only have 43 answers I'm happy with out of 55 questions. If theres anyone else on CW doing the quiz, how many answers have you managed to find?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It looked too tough for me so i didn't bother but if you tell me the twelve you're not convinced about you'd be welcome to the benefit of my opinion, for what it's worth

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I have most of the questions from 1-34, missing question 4 (who broke a world record in 2008 and said "if it hadn't been pointed out I wouldn't have known"), 9 (what was good enough for Action Man and Dr Who but not Vaughan [in 2008]), and 32 (what test record did Hoggard break at Hamilton, overtaking Underwood and Saqlain).

The quotes are where I'm really struggling - am missing 35, 36, 38, 39 and 40.

Also haven't been able to find a link for 43 (what links Atherton, Botham, Jardine and Symonds) or 45 (what links Agnew, Croft, Caddick and Dexter). I have an answer for all of the pictures but am not yet 100% convinced over the Jabba the Hut or Forrest Gump pictures.

biased indian

International Coach
4 has to be sehwag after the fastest triple

and hoggard thing any thing to do with batting ??? night watch man some thing like that ?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
4 might be him, I haven't found him say that quote anywhere yet but will keep searching.

I also thought that Hoggard's record might be night watchman related but haven't found any record that he might've broken from coming in as the night watchman.

biased indian

International Coach
4 might be him, I haven't found him say that quote anywhere yet but will keep searching.

I also thought that Hoggard's record might be night watchman related but haven't found any record that he might've broken from coming in as the night watchman.
anything to do with dismissing left handers ???

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
anything to do with dismissing left handers ???
Possibly also, but haven't found anything as yet. It seems such a strange match to achieve a record in, given he was aweful with the ball (picked up one wicket), and scored only a few runs with the bat.

archie mac

International Coach
Possibly also, but haven't found anything as yet. It seems such a strange match to achieve a record in, given he was aweful with the ball (picked up one wicket), and scored only a few runs with the bat.
Put a link up mate, I am not too bad on quotes (if they are old ones!)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The question above was:
Who broke a world record in 2008 and said "if it hadn't been pointed out to me I wouldn't have known"?

Thats obviously a recent one but some of the other quotes are from a while back, not sure how far back as dates are not given but the Hutton quote and Illingworth's quote that was quoted by Atherton are presumably a few decades old - they are about who is being described rather than who said them (that name is already given):
"A most contented cricketer. I can visualise him on a sheep farm in Tasmania, sipping lager on the verandah, the ideal temperament for dealing with fast bowlers" - by Len Hutton
"Even Ray Illingworth said he was tremendous. For him to say that about somebody with three initials who had a southern background and went to public school, he must've been good" - by Mike Atherton
"The future of England batsmanship has the technique of Geoff Boycott, the patience of Mike Atherton and the face of a ferret" - by a county member
"Hes not by nature a grafter. One suspects that he'd rather order new crockery than do the washing up and, if one day he couldn't see through his back window for weeds, he'd either employ a gardnerer or simply move" - by Martin Johnson
He celebrated that day as he had all season, "with the visual expression of someone who had just been issued with a parking ticket" - by Martin Johnson

fredfertang

... and, perhaps not surprisingly, the other Martin Johnson quote is about *********

Last edited:

fredfertang

... and a couple of guesses - Saqlain and Deadly were regular nightwatchmen so could it be as simple as most innings as nightwatchman? CBA to check but 15 mins on cricketarchive should crack it

and the ferret quote I have never seen but Ian Bell is a dead spit for one don't you reckon?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I have most of the questions from 1-34, missing question 4 (who broke a world record in 2008 and said "if it hadn't been pointed out I wouldn't have known")
AB De Villiers broke the record for most Test innings without a duck in 2008 :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Where did you find your answers for the quotes Fred? I presume from books because I haven't found any source on the internet.

Agreed that Ian Bell is the likely candidate for the final quote but hes the answer to another question so I was hesistant at putting him down for two answers. Ditto with de Villiers. ;)

fredfertang

I found the quotes in "Can't Bat, Can't Bowl, Can't Field" which is a collection of Johnson's writings

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fantastic, that certainly sounds reliable. :) Unlike last year's quiz where almost all of the answers were available by searching the internet, I've only been able to locate about 2/3 on the net this year. And not having access to the books such as that above isn't helping me complete the quiz!

Is there any chance you could edit your posts and put astricks where the names of those two players were? I have a feeling it won't take long for everyone else doing the quiz to google this page and grab those answers. ;)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for editing those names out and many thanks for taking the time to search those quotes for me, I have a feeling that somewhere between 45 and 50 correct answers may be enough to score a prize this year. :)

fredfertang

No problem

As for that record Andrew Strauss became the holder of the record for the most successive innings without a not out during 2008 but I have no idea whether anyone told him

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I was not even aware of that record - will definitely investigate as given the large proportion of English players as answers so far that could well be the answer.

fredfertang

He definitely took the English record for that in the summer - counting is not a particular talent of mine but I am pretty confident he did enough in India to sneak past the overall record that Rohan Kanhai held

Status
Not open for further replies.