• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TWC quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swisj

Cricket Spectator
I have 47 answers which I'd be surprised if I got wrong. The other eight I have an element of doubt over or are pure guesses - I have no idea what the answers to the Hoggard record or a couple of the links questions are. As I said earlier in the topic, I think a score of 50 may be enough to earn a prize this year, I'm hoping so anyway because theres no way I'll be getting a perfect score! Am sending my answers in now as I won't have any more time to work on getting the last few questions before the deadline. Are you entering the quiz by the way?
I am going to enter.

The questions I have had to guess at

4. Who didn't care he had broken a world record in 2008 - If it hadn't been pointed out to me I would not have known? - Guess Hoggard?

40 . The future of english batsmanship, the technique of Boycott, teh paitence of Atherton and the face of a ferret - Guess I an Bell but not convinced.

45. Link between Jonathion Agnew, Andrew Caddick, Colin Croft and Ted Dexter - No idea really

I am sure a few people will get 100%

47 Who is associated with Jabba the Hutt (picture question) - Again no idea

Brears

Cricket Spectator
Gents - anyone got any ideas on 31 - At The Oval Andrew Flintoff won the Test with a six. Who was the previous England batsman to do this in a home Test?

I think Bell is right on 40 but no idea on 41 "it's a good job your father wasn't a West Bromwich Albion supporter", Jim Laker

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Gents - anyone got any ideas on 31 - At The Oval Andrew Flintoff won the Test with a six. Who was the previous England batsman to do this in a home Test?

I think Bell is right on 40 but no idea on 41 "it's a good job your father wasn't a West Bromwich Albion supporter", Jim Laker
I have answers to 31 and 41, the Laker quote I'm 100% sure on and the six to win question fairly sure as well - I will let you know what I put down after the 26th. :p

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I am going to enter.

The questions I have had to guess at

4. Who didn't care he had broken a world record in 2008 - If it hadn't been pointed out to me I would not have known? - Guess Hoggard?

40 . The future of english batsmanship, the technique of Boycott, teh paitence of Atherton and the face of a ferret - Guess I an Bell but not convinced.

45. Link between Jonathion Agnew, Andrew Caddick, Colin Croft and Ted Dexter - No idea really

I am sure a few people will get 100%

47 Who is associated with Jabba the Hutt (picture question) - Again no idea
Yup those are basically the ones I had to guess at too, along with 32 - I'm guessing you have an answer you're happy with for that question?

Brears

Cricket Spectator
4 i am 99 % sure is sehwag he said it on a tv interview on next days play i think
Also mind gone blank on

8 What faux pas upset traditionalists on Australia's Caribbean tour?
9 What was good enough for Action Man and Dr Who (Peter Davison) but not Michael Vaughan?

Any one got any clues on these?:wacko:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Also mind gone blank on

8 What faux pas upset traditionalists on Australia's Caribbean tour?
9 What was good enough for Action Man and Dr Who (Peter Davison) but not Michael Vaughan?

Any one got any clues on these?:wacko:
I know question 8. The Aussies didn't wear their baggy greens in the first class match leading into the Test Match.

They wore a blue cap with a sponsors logo on it, can't remember the sponsor. The reason for this was that some of the players didn't have a baggy green cap yet and wanted to receive it on their Test debut. Haddin was one of the players.

Brears

Cricket Spectator
Cheers - I'd guessed inappropriate clothing without getting the specific. Do you have any clues on any of the other open questions?

Brears

Cricket Spectator
I have answers to 31 and 41, the Laker quote I'm 100% sure on and the six to win question fairly sure as well - I will let you know what I put down after the 26th. :p
OK - put me out my missery! I've just sent mine in and guessed Arthur Wellard and Everton Weeks, so many guesses this year, I agree it's been the hardest for years.:wacko:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
4 i am 99 % sure is sehwag he said it on a tv interview on next days play i think
If I had known that you were 99% sure that Sehwag was the answer to question four I probably would've gone with him over Strauss...bit worried with that question now.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I know question 8. The Aussies didn't wear their baggy greens in the first class match leading into the Test Match.

They wore a blue cap with a sponsors logo on it, can't remember the sponsor. The reason for this was that some of the players didn't have a baggy green cap yet and wanted to receive it on their Test debut. Haddin was one of the players.
Yup that was the answer I had for question eight. Apparently as Brad Haddin hadn't been awarded his baggy green cap, the Australians wore blue VB caps in the warm-up match, rather than the traditional baggy green.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
OK - put me out my missery! I've just sent mine in and guessed Arthur Wellard and Everton Weeks, so many guesses this year, I agree it's been the hardest for years.:wacko:
I also went with Everton Weekes for the Laker quote. I'll let you know my answer for the other question shortly as I think people still have until the end of the 26th to submit their answers - my answer wasn't Arthur Wellard though.

Brears

Cricket Spectator
I also went with Everton Weekes for the Laker quote. I'll let you know my answer for the other question shortly as I think people still have until the end of the 26th to submit their answers - my answer wasn't Arthur Wellard though.
OK - thanks, Wellard was the biggest hitting batter I could think of pre 1962 (when my books ran out!).

To be fair I guessed a lot of the quotes, in particular 38 & 39 - so let me know what you put for those. Other main guess was the Dr Who / Actionman question.

You'll have a great chance if you got 50+ - will you fly over for the test? or e-bay the tickets?

Good luck!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gooch and Gower - you could have had them before but Somerset made me edit my posts by threatening to do unspeakable things to me and I'm a coward at heart

Brears

Cricket Spectator
Gooch and Gower - you could have had them before but Somerset made me edit my posts by threatening to do unspeakable things to me and I'm a coward at heart
Fair enough - I guessed Gooch, but not Gower. I suspect my answer re nickname of Biggles as Gower may now be wrong as I doubt they had Gower twice.

Did you know the Biggles answer?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No not really - Gower and Morris are obvious candidates on one level - the likes of Farnes, Chalk and Keith Miller on another - and then it may be rather more cryptic still - that's the sort of question that puts me off doing it - although basic laziness is as much to blame

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
OK - thanks, Wellard was the biggest hitting batter I could think of pre 1962 (when my books ran out!).

To be fair I guessed a lot of the quotes, in particular 38 & 39 - so let me know what you put for those. Other main guess was the Dr Who / Actionman question.

You'll have a great chance if you got 50+ - will you fly over for the test? or e-bay the tickets?

Good luck!
I don't think I'll get more than 50 questions right, it'd be brilliant if that happened but I'd be extremely happy just to pick up one of the runner-up prizes. In the unlikely event I do win the tickets, I'd have to sell them or give them away to someone in the UK, but as I say, I doubt that'll be the case.

I put Len Hutton for the sixes to win test matches question. I looked through all of the England wins by wickets and the only test in which it was stated or otherwise that an England player hit a six to win was in this match:
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/62674.html

The almanack reports says "At Leeds, July 26, 28, 29. England won by ten wickets. A hit for 6 by Hutton towards the end of the third day brought England their third successive victory over South Africa and decided the rubber. Hutton's stroke gave the match an appropriate finish, since his magnificent bad-wicket batsmanship played a leading part in England's success and completely atoned for his previous low scores against South Africa."
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/152880.html

The Action Man and Doctor Who question was the last answer I got that I was confident about. I said that the answer was woolen v-neck sweaters. The fifth Dr Who wore a traditional cricket sweater and Action Man toys contained woolen sweaters. Remember this year about the new England jumpers which contained no wool and were more of a sweatshirt than cricket sweater? I found a quote from Michael Vaughan that he much prefered the new jumpers, therefore the old woolen v-neck sweaters were no longer good enough for him.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for that, if I get a prize by one or two marks I'll know who to thank. :happy:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough - I guessed Gooch, but not Gower. I suspect my answer re nickname of Biggles as Gower may now be wrong as I doubt they had Gower twice.

Did you know the Biggles answer?
I put David Gower for the Biggles picture and for the quote that Fredfertang helped me with. I was initially a bit sceptical that the same player would be the answer for two different questions but went with Gower for both anyway. I think that Johnny Briggs could be the answer to two answers as well - the shortest batsman to score a century for England (I went with Bobby Abel though) and the Victorian cricketer that was shared the name of an actor in a British soap (I went with Briggs on that one).

Wikipedia states Abel's height at 5' 4'' and this is backed up by a post I found from Bill Frindell. Frindell puts Briggs' height at 5' 5'' but his wikipedia page indicates he was 5' 4'' or less - I trusted Frindell on that one but may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.