• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TWC quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Quickly counted and Kanhai took 95 innings before he recorded a not out, unfortunately Strauss only 85.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Have an answer for #9 (about Dr Who, Action Man and Michael Vaughan) and am happy enough with my answers for the two pictures I had doubts about before.

Does anyone want to have a guess at who the other quotes might be describing?
"Even Ray Illingworth said he was tremendous. For him to say that about somebody with three initials who had a southern background and went to public school, he must have been good" - by Mike Atherton
"A most contented cricketer. I can visualise him on a sheep farm in Tasmania, sipping lager on the verandah, the ideal temperament for dealing with fast bowlers" - by Len Hutton
""The future of English batsmanship has the technique of Geoffrey Boycott, the patience of Mike Atherton - and the face of a ferret" - by a county member (presumably Ian Bell)

Other than that its just the Hoggard record, world record in which the player did not know he'd achieved it, and a couple of links questions.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quickly counted and Kanhai took 95 innings before he recorded a not out, unfortunately Strauss only 85.
Kanhai was 83 according to my original source but I don't fancy checking it!

I'll have a look at my Hutton/Atherton autobiogs and see if I can find the quotes - if guessing I'd say Arthur Morris and Peter May

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
After 12 innings, Kanhai had two not outs. His third not out wasn't until his 96th innings: so he had 83 consecutive dismissed innings.

fredfertang

Can't find the Atherton quote but in one of his various autobiographies Illi rates Peter May as England's finest post war batsman - anyway Stumpski is generally right - nice to see you back David!

Swisj

Cricket Spectator
I would agree with Peter May and Arthur Morris

Who is the shortest Englishman to score a test hundred? Tim Ambrose?

stumpski

International Captain
:) I have been lurking, just not posting. While I'm aware that there's been some fantastic cricket over the last couple of months, most of it has been played while I was either working or sleeping.

Is the Trivia thread still going?

Swisj

Cricket Spectator
That is fantastic knowledge how do you know that.

I thought I knew my stuff but bow to your superior knowledge.

Only just found this forum might even get educated!!

fredfertang

That is fantastic knowledge how do you know that.

I thought I knew my stuff but bow to your superior knowledge.

Only just found this forum might even get educated!!
There are some who say I am a very sad man with an obsession - they are of course quite wrong :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Stumpski, how confident are you about your answer to the Illingworth/Atherton quote? If you believe its right, could you edit your post like Fred yesterday so that people googling this topic don't steal the answer? Your suggestion was one of my options as I considered three initials in the form of GOB Allen or JDP Oram rather than MCC (Cowdrey).

stumpski

International Captain
I wasn't particularly confident - May was just the first name I thought of. Illy wouldn't have played with Allen, and of course would've only seen Oram in retirement (and he doesn't fit the question anyway, does he?)

Sorry if I've missed the point somewhere, I've come to this thread late and haven't read it from the start. :ph34r:

Swisj

Cricket Spectator
Stumpski, how confident are you about your answer to the Illingworth/Atherton quote? If you believe its right, could you edit your post like Fred yesterday so that people googling this topic don't steal the answer? Your suggestion was one of my options as I considered three initials in the form of GOB Allen or JDP Oram rather than MCC (Cowdrey).

So how many do you to get now Somerset.

and how confident are you with the answers you have.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't particularly confident - May was just the first name I thought of. Illy wouldn't have played with Allen, and of course would've only seen Oram in retirement (and he doesn't fit the question anyway, does he?)

Sorry if I've missed the point somewhere, I've come to this thread late and haven't read it from the start. :ph34r:
I just used Allen and Oram (ABCD) as examples for the form of the answer I expected it to be in - rather than Cowdrey (ABC) which someone suggested. ;) I think I will use May as my answer as he seems to fit the criteria and I haven't found a better answer.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
So how many do you to get now Somerset.

and how confident are you with the answers you have.
I have 47 answers which I'd be surprised if I got wrong. The other eight I have an element of doubt over or are pure guesses - I have no idea what the answers to the Hoggard record or a couple of the links questions are. As I said earlier in the topic, I think a score of 50 may be enough to earn a prize this year, I'm hoping so anyway because theres no way I'll be getting a perfect score! Am sending my answers in now as I won't have any more time to work on getting the last few questions before the deadline. Are you entering the quiz by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.