• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Flem274*

123/5
Forgetting the fact that aside from Bracken, Johnson has been Australia's best ODI bowler over the past year?

Flem, you've left out Bracken from your team, and after Ponting he's probably the first guy picked. :p
Haha woops. Stop picking lots of bowlers, I lose track of them all. When Ryan Harris debuted I was like "who?" and I thought I knew about most of the up and comers. :p

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still thinking on whether to go to the game or not. It's on a Friday and I'm working so probably can't get in until at least 5, so will miss most of the first session, if not all of it.

Predicting a quite close series tbh. Probably one of the better ODI clashes going around - Australia v N.Z.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha woops. Stop picking lots of bowlers, I lose track of them all. When Ryan Harris debuted I was like "who?" and I thought I knew about most of the up and comers. :p
Yeah I had only seen Harris in one domestic game and he didn't exactly blow my socks off.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Still thinking on whether to go to the game or not. It's on a Friday and I'm working so probably can't get in until at least 5, so will miss most of the first session, if not all of it.

Predicting a quite close series tbh. Probably one of the better ODI clashes going around - Australia v N.Z.
Yeah and Taylor and Oram are absolutely great in Australia.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm pretty sure that I heard Styris isn't going to be fit for the entire series. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if Oram doesn't recover in time. Therefore the team to Aus will most likely look like

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Broom
?
Elliot
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Gillespie/O'Brien/Patel

Really hard to think of who will fill that last spot. Options include Franklin (who's been in good, but not great form for Wellington), dropping Ryder or McCullum down the order and batting Flynn at 3 or bringing in someone completely new like Williamson or Nathan McCullum. I'd prefer the 2nd option personally.

Natman20

International Debutant
My squad would be:

Guptill
Ryder
Taylor
Elliott
Broom
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Patel

12th - Thompson.

Mixture of aggression v. ticking the score over works well here I think.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ah with Styris out and Oram probably not ft:

Ryder -Set in stone-
McCullum/Guptill
Guptill/Flynn
Taylor -set in stone-
Broom
Hay/N.McCullum/J.Marshall/Williamson/Franklin/McCullum
Elliot
Vettori -set in stone-
Mills -set in stone-
Southee
INSERT SUITABLE WELLINGTON BOWLER HERE

So really we only have Ryder, McCullum (though where he plays could change), Taylor, Vettori and Mills as set players in the current NZ lineup.

Johnners

Yeah I've said it before and I'll say it again, our guys like to hit Johnson.

Bracken on the other hand. Is a gun.
Too write Johnson off as a potential threat though, is pretty ridiculous. Especially considering he cleaned up your test team recently, and has vastly improved as an ODI bowler since he last played NZ (2 years ago).

Johnners

Johnners has a reasonable case to argue there as well. Has averaged about 19 since the CH series in Feb 07 iirc.

Flem274*

123/5
Johnson will probably either clean up or get smashed, or a mixture of both.

Athlai you're not serious, James Marshall? I'd bat Iain O'Brien ahead of him, he might last longer and get a nice 5 runs. Also Hay is in crap form.

If there is no Oram or Styris then Flynn gets his very last chance and goes in at three. If we drop him I'd go for...ummmmm......Fulton maybe? I'd have to look at who is doing well in the comp, think its mainly top order blokes though.

EDIT: actualy a lot of the good middle order players are guys from the U-19s like Williamson, Boam and Bracewell (wonder if he annoys people as much as his uncle, or going on what my grumpy neighbour says, his old man. Will he entertain us in the media like John Bracewell Jimmy? :p).

Actualy, Going on Warner logic, we could select Jimmy on potential. Who needs David Warner when we have James "JimmyGS" Neesham? :p

CW, nothing more than a site for extreme player bias IMO. :p

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Greg Hay can't even get into the CD side at the moment, god knows how he would get selected in the National side.

My team would be:

Guptill
McCullum
Taylor
Ryder
Styris/Broom
Oram
Elliott
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Boult/Arnel/Patel

As long as Gillespie doesnt play, i'm happy.

Flem274*

123/5
Greg Hay can't even get into the CD side at the moment, god knows how he would get selected in the National side.

My team would be:

Guptill
McCullum
Taylor
Ryder
Styris/Broom
Oram
Elliott
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Boult/Arnel/Patel

As long as Gillespie doesnt play, i'm happy.
Not sure Boult is the best bet yet. Not everyone is Tim Southee unfortunately.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Too write Johnson off as a potential threat though, is pretty ridiculous. Especially considering he cleaned up your test team recently, and has vastly improved as an ODI bowler since he last played NZ (2 years ago).
Even in the Tests we hit him around quite a bit just got out to silly strokes.

inbox24

International Debutant
Johnson's a mixed bag really. Theoretically I expect him to be hammered to all parts because his radar is always off and that extra pace is handy for the batsman to just use the pace, but somehow at times he pulls off quite decent figures. He's kinda like a left handed Gillespie with more luck and pace.

With our bowlers under the dosh this is a perfect opportunity for NZ to grab a sneak win, but definitely the big four Guptill, Taylor, Ryder and McCullum have to step up and really take it to the bowlers, especially the senior guys like Bracken and Johnson.