• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Johan Botha's action

Do you think Johan Botha's action is suspect?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
What do you think of it - as do you think he is suspect or is totally fine? I guess he is bowling so he would of been cleared, but to the naked eye it looks a bit suspect, or at least to me, and I'm no expert so I am willing to be proven wrong.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I said this after the England-South Africa ODI series - his action just looks diabolical.

edit: poorly worded poll. I don't think it's suspect in the sense that I think he chucks it. It's like Murali's action AFAIC - it just looks terrible.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeh it looks bad, but if Murali doesn't chuck then he doesnt. But imo they both do, so yes it's suspect.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its not pretty, but I'm personally more concerned about another player's action that looks just as bad, but has far worse consequences, i.e. shattering a guy's hip!

Top_Cat

Its not pretty, but I'm personally more concerned about another player's action that looks just as bad, but has far worse consequences, i.e. shattering a guy's hip!
You must be kidding. Not seriously suggesting Tait's a chucker?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You must be kidding. Not seriously suggesting Tait's a chucker?
a) No I'm not kidding.
b) I'm hardly alone if you read the SA in Aus thread (although that obviously doesn't make me right, it hardly makes the suggestion ludicrous. Also see Vettori...)
c) I think the actions with his effort ball is horribly ugly. Not every ball, and this is common with many fast bowlers with suspect actions.

I just find it weird, whinge about Botha (and Murali), but let's ignore Lee and Tait's effort balls, which do not look pretty, or have not in the past.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

a) No I'm not kidding.
b) I'm hardly alone if you read the SA in Aus thread (although that obviously doesn't make me right.
c) I think the actions with his effort ball is horribly ugly. Not every ball, and this is common with many fast bowlers with suspect actions.

I just find it weird, whinge about Botha (and Murali), but let's ignore Lee and Tait's effort balls, which do not look pretty, or have not in the past.
Off the planet on this one, Lee and Tait have been tested (and cleared, like Murali) and Lee has even been reported. If you don't like the look of the action, fine, but the science has cleared them. No-one is ignoring anything.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Off the planet on this one
Got much more hyperbole in you? Fair enough disagreeing, but Jesus.

Just like players, umpires and coaches have voiced opinions of Murali and Akhtar, they have with Tait (see Vettori). There's obvious concern, and if you read the thread, many posters thought Tait's specific effort ball action looked far different to his regular action.
No-one is ignoring anything.
You might not be ignoring anything, but there are bucketload of fans who will call Murali a chucker, yet go gaga over Tait's bouncer that nearly rips a batsman's head off.

I don't mind Tait being allowed to bowl. Mainly because he's exciting and his pace is good for the game, and he's mentally ordinary anyway so its not like he's going to become a world beater with a dodgy action, but there's inconsistency among those who claim dodgy actions amongst some, and not others. That's undeniable.

Craig

World Traveller
If we are mentioning Tait, then I will mention Aaron Bird, **** me he looks dodgy when he bowls.

luffy

International Captain
I honestly don't reckon it's dodgy at all.

But really, every fast/medium bowler chucks it.

Most you don't notice because it's not much, but the like of Akhtar, Tait, Lee, etc, they look like they chuck it more.

Polo23

International Debutant
Tait's action is terrible, and while I don't think he is chucking, it still looks terrible. As does Botha's, it doesnt mean he is chucking though. I'm happy for him to bowl if he has been cleared.

Top_Cat

Got much more hyperbole in you? Fair enough disagreeing, but Jesus.

Just like players, umpires and coaches have voiced opinions of Murali and Akhtar, they have with Tait (see Vettori). There's obvious concern, and if you read the thread, many posters thought Tait's specific effort ball action looked far different to his regular action.
People in a position to have a close look at him and actually make decisions about him have cleared him. Much like Murali, I listen to them far more than fans, such as in the other thread.

I've seen his effort ball and much like Lee's, it looks jerkier. But surely it doesn't take a degree in biomechanics to realise that the faster you are able to bowl, the more hyper-extension will be visibly apparent in joints so it will 'look' worse? Shoaib is a more extreme example of what I'm talking about and it's no coincidence that Tait has his ankle strapped every game; the pressure put on the joint means he needs support.

Every bowler who has had their effort ball queried has had it cleared. Pretty confident that Tait, if tested again, will be just fine.

You might not be ignoring anything, but there are bucketload of fans who will call Murali a chucker, yet go gaga over Tait's bouncer that nearly rips a batsman's head off.
Good for them. They're stupid. You're not. Don't be them.

pup11

International Coach
My belief is every bowler can easily chuck during a spell and get away with it unless his action is horribly wrong, the bio-mechanic test only works if the bowler has got an action that is beyond any doubt and something he can't correct during the test, otherwise i don't think it takes much for any bowler to bend his elbow a tad more than usual to get that extra leverage during the game every now and then, Botha' action is almost same as it was before, he might have made some minor changes and got himself cleared during the bio-mechanic tests, now if his action still looks like this after getting cleared by the ICC, then one can say there isn't much that can be done in this regard.

Precambrian

Banned
My belief is every bowler can easily chuck during a spell and get away with it unless his action is horribly wrong, the bio-mechanic test only works if the bowler has got an action that is beyond any doubt and something he can't correct during the test, otherwise i don't think it takes much for any bowler to bend his elbow a tad more than usual to get that extra leverage during the game every now and then, Botha' action is almost same as it was before, he might have made some minor changes and got himself cleared during the bio-mechanic tests, now if his action still looks like this after getting cleared by the ICC, then one can say there isn't much that can be done in this regard.
What an expert observation!! A pity all the International jokers called umpires didn't notice it, Captain Obvious!! 8-)

pup11

International Coach
If we are mentioning Tait, then I will mention Aaron Bird, **** me he looks dodgy when he bowls.
The notion of the 15 degree rule is that once the flex is that great it is visible to the naked eye, now who are we kidding, Bird, Malinga, Tait, Akthar, Murali, Botha, Harbhajan might all look dodgy when they are bowling, but get them tested in a bio-mechanics lab and almost everyone of them would come out clear, so i mean what is the point of holding this whole charade, it think it was Warne who suggested that all bowlers should be made to wear a device during the game, that records of degree of their flexes, and tbh as unreal it may sound this is the only fool-proof way of overcoming this problem.