• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yes, you are allowed to your opinion on players. But you can't stereotype the whole country.
I personally found it offensive and I'm not even Pakistani.
Don't worry mate attacking Pakistan on these forums is a fashion statement these days. You are new you will get use to it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am joking.

But only half-joking. Sadly, the Pakistan team - with Afridi's drill into the pitch, Shoaib and Asif's ridiculous "pardon" from the PCB in spite of obvious guilt, Shoaib's questionable action, repeated drug offences, mafia connections, discipline problems, ball-tampering issues and routine match-fixing issues - has tarnished its own image beyond repair. There is little nobility in a team playing a game like that, all the more so because they obviously don't lack talent.

I find it pathetic and I'm allowed that opinion.
8-)

yup no other team seems to have any controversies.

And can you back up your comments on the points I have highlighted, its very easy to talk **** on an internet forum atleast give some credible evidence to your accusations.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I'm not stereotyping the whole country - I have a lot of lovely Pakistani friends. I'm only generalising the behaviour of the cricket team.

To me, Miandad's achievements, for example, mean very little - he's in bed with India's most wanted terrorist. Who knows how he achieved what he did: through talent or coercion?
Yeah the whole world knows PCB is funded by Dawood Ibrahim, so I suggest lets put a ban on PCB with all the other terrorist organizations.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't worry mate attacking Pakistan on these forums is a fashion statement these days. You are new you will get use to it.
It's pretty severe, particularly in the series of closed OT threads. Still, regarding cricket it just reflects the fact that there's next to nothing to like about them. currently

Xuhaib

International Coach
It's pretty severe, particularly in the series of closed OT threads. Still, regarding cricket it just reflects the fact that there's next to nothing to like about them. currently
I agree even I am not happy with the current state of the Pakistani team but despite this how can anyone justify this statement.

i will be rooting for pakistan to never play international cricket regardless of whether they get their **** together. good riddance to cheats and chuckers

Evermind

International Debutant
where is Shoaib's name in both the articles.
It's got nothing to do with Shoaib. I was talking about the team's match-fixing issues and mafia connections, not Shoaib's. Maybe it wasn't clear from the original post.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Sachin, Ishant and Munaf are needed for the NZ series, so they can give this one a miss. They've defeated a stronger SL team (possibly the strongest in some time) a little while earlier, so they need to be ready for the series they've never clinched.

The bottom five can have both Pathans, Harbhajan, Praveen Kumar and Dhawal Kulkarni, with Ravi Jadeja and Sreesanth in reserve. This should help the second line players assume a frontline role and those a little out of form to play themselves back to top form before the NZ series.
we dont have any practice matches in new zealand for us.so i dont think anybody is going to be rested.i hope sreesanth gets picked but i would rather he play in the duleep trophy to prove himself before the kiwi series.ravi jadeja is the highest wicket taker and 5th highest scorer(@72.9)in the ranji's.he could be our genuine all-rounder if he turns out to be a find.i would rather pick him than mishra for the 2nd spinner in the team.

Evermind

International Debutant
btw going by your Miandad story I say lets hang the entire Bin Laden family since they are related to Usama.
I didn't call for Miandad's hanging, did I? In any case, the Bin Ladens have repudiated Osama and condemned his actions, while Miandad has embraced Dawood and his background.

Dawood safe wherever he is: Miandad-Pakistan-World-The Times of India

I'm not interested in any of this ****-flinging, and this is my final post on this topic. A little bit of self-reflection and admission of wrongdoing would be wise on the part of Pakistani cricket and its fans, instead of constant defensiveness and playing the victim.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I didn't call for Miandad's hanging, did I? In any case, the Bin Ladens have repudiated Osama and condemned his actions, while Miandad has embraced Dawood and his background.

Dawood safe wherever he is: Miandad-Pakistan-World-The Times of India

I'm not interested in any of this ****-flinging, and this is my final post on this topic. A little bit of self-reflection and admission of wrongdoing would be wise on the part of Pakistani cricket and its fans, instead of constant defensiveness and playing the victim.
The defensiveness only came because you initiated the **** stirring. And keep your cliche statements to yourself because no one is playing the victim card over here.

Javaid has no documented criminal record against his name so this makes him eligible for any legal job be it the PCB, ISI or his local area canteen shop, so keep your conspiracy theories theories to yourself and stop the mud slinging.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
we dont have any practice matches in new zealand for us.so i dont think anybody is going to be rested.i hope sreesanth gets picked but i would rather he play in the duleep trophy to prove himself before the kiwi series.ravi jadeja is the highest wicket taker and 5th highest scorer(@72.9)in the ranji's.he could be our genuine all-rounder if he turns out to be a find.i would rather pick him than mishra for the 2nd spinner in the team.
The Duleep Trophy can be used for the players' own practice. This particular series in SL means absolutely nothing and the players can let this pass before the bigger picture in New Zealand. They can't risk an injury or slump in form of their key players before that tour.

Ravi Jadeja will be useful as a middle-order batsman who can also contribute fully (not in bits and pieces) with the ball, and he should be in as a Test all-rounder, not get into one-dayers so soon. His bowling resembles that of another left-arm spinner who played for India, and if a middle-order batsman can bowl so well as the stats suggest, he's surely a lot more useful than that other spinner. He can make a place for himself in Test matches away from India, where only one spinner may play, but Mishra surely is worth his place in the team, at least at home.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
The Duleep Trophy can be used for the players' own practice. This particular series in SL means absolutely nothing and the players can let this pass before the bigger picture in New Zealand. They can't risk an injury or slump in form of their key players before that tour.

Ravi Jadeja will be useful as a middle-order batsman who can also contribute fully (not in bits and pieces) with the ball, and he should be in as a Test all-rounder, not get into one-dayers so soon. His bowling resembles that of another left-arm spinner who played for India, and if a middle-order batsman can bowl so well as the stats suggest, he's surely a lot more useful than that other spinner. He can make a place for himself in Test matches away from India, where only one spinner may play, but Mishra surely is worth his place in the team, at least at home.
you make some good points except your disdain for limited overs cricket.as long as we play international limited overs cricket then we should try to win them all and play the best possible team if we can.we have another sri lankan series coming up this year and our batsmen can use the practice against mendis.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Given that the one-day series in Sri Lanka coincides with the Duleep Trophy, everyone will likely participate in one tournament or the other barring injury. That said, it may still be a good idea to pick the squad based on our priorities ahead of the tour of New Zealand. Essentially, there are three openings in the test squad: a reserve middle-order batsman (Badrinath, Sharma or Pujara) and two reserve seamers (behind Zaheer-Ishant-Munaf, so it's mainly down to Praveen, Irfan and Sreesanth), one of whom may be an all-rounder (small chance for Jadeja here). Hence, it makes sense to get these boys in the Duleep Trophy and send the rest for the one-day series.

Sehwag, Tendulkar, Gambhir, Raina, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Yusuf, Bhajji, Zaheer, Munaf, Ishant with Kohli, Praveen and Ojha as reserves.
They can split the team accordingly- those who are crucial before the NZ series (although, everyone is) should stay at home and play in the Duleep Trophy, while those who need a little more action and international experience should go to Sri Lanka.

As for the Test team, Jadeja has been a top-ten run-scorer in Ranji and should be in the race for a middle-order position; his wickets add value to his spot at six. Irfan needs to get back to wicket-taking form, and while he showed signs of it, the Baroda challenge was cut short because they didn't make the Ranji quarters. Praveen, strangely, looked off-colour in the Ranji final, with bat and ball. Sreesanth played some club games and appears to be in good form. RP Singh was a letdown in the Ranji final. These players need to play themselves back to top form, so that some of them can fill those vacant spots in the Indian frontline XI. Splitting the prospects, you can send-
  • For Duleep Trophy: Sachin, Kohli, Jadeja, Sreesanth, RP Singh, Ishant, Munaf, maybe Praveen
  • To Sri Lanka: Zaheer, Harbhajan, Yusuf, Irfan, Rohit, Badrinath, Raina, maybe Praveen and also Abhishek Nayar.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
you make some good points except your disdain for limited overs cricket.as long as we play international limited overs cricket then we should try to win them all and play the best possible team if we can.we have another sri lankan series coming up this year and our batsmen can use the practice against mendis.
I don't hate limited-overs cricket. I just feel there are too many limited-overs matches, of which some are merely exhibition or filler events- such as those in associate venues, two successive series in India before the World Cup, the Kitply Cup and now this one. This was a last-minute entry just to fill in for the Pakistan tour that was scrapped, possibly also to help Sri Lanka earn a little revenue, so this tournament isn't very important. The other issue is that there are some very useful players who have, unfortunately, fallen by the wayside, and this tournament may be used to get them back to form. On the contrary, you can't risk an injury or a slump in form happening to any of your key players.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
See above. Yay, another limited overs series just half a year after India last was in SL.

Could have played three Tests with England this side of Christmas instead. (Yes, I know England weren't too keen on that idea.)

adharcric

International Coach
They can split the team accordingly- those who are crucial before the NZ series (although, everyone is) should stay at home and play in the Duleep Trophy, while those who need a little more action and international experience should go to Sri Lanka.

As for the Test team, Jadeja has been a top-ten run-scorer in Ranji and should be in the race for a middle-order position; his wickets add value to his spot at six. Irfan needs to get back to wicket-taking form, and while he showed signs of it, the Baroda challenge was cut short because they didn't make the Ranji quarters. Praveen, strangely, looked off-colour in the Ranji final, with bat and ball. Sreesanth played some club games and appears to be in good form. RP Singh was a letdown in the Ranji final. These players need to play themselves back to top form, so that some of them can fill those vacant spots in the Indian frontline XI. Splitting the prospects, you can send-
  • For Duleep Trophy: Sachin, Kohli, Jadeja, Sreesanth, RP Singh, Ishant, Munaf, maybe Praveen
  • To Sri Lanka: Zaheer, Harbhajan, Yusuf, Irfan, Rohit, Badrinath, Raina, maybe Praveen and also Abhishek Nayar.
How is Kohli crucial for the tests in New Zealand? He needs more experience in ODIs and is not a test prospect at the moment. Sharma and Badrinath definitely need to be in the Duleep Trophy as they're the top contenders for a place in the test side. Finally, why do you have Sachin in the Duleep Trophy if Yuvraj is headed to Sri Lanka?

Precambrian

Banned
Bloody hell. Not another ODI series!! FFS. Get the boys to play some domestic cricket and get them in a plane to NZ atleast two weeks to get accustomed to the conditions and play an XI there.