• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you select to replace Matthew Hayden as a Test Opener

Who do you think will be the Test Opener

• Total voters

john18

Cricket Spectator
Since Matthew Hayden anounced his retirement on Tuesday who do you think is going to replace him as a Test Opener? Vote in the Poll.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Phil Jaques, if fit.

If not, then Chris Rogers. Phil Hughes is a decent candidate, as well, although Rogers has strung together more good seasons.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think Rogers should be next in line after Jaques but I reckon Jaques after being groomed for the spot deserves his place in the lineup.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I don't think Rogers should be next in line after Jaques but I reckon Jaques after being groomed for the spot deserves his place in the lineup.
Well, that's a different issue.

If Jaques was able to stay in the opener's spot for a couple more years without getting injured or dropped, then I'd bring in Hughes. Rogers would be 34 by that stage.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well, that's a different issue.

If Jaques was able to stay in the opener's spot for a couple more years without getting injured or dropped, then I'd bring in Hughes. Rogers would be 34 by that stage.
Point I was trying to raise.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jaques is the incumbent, essentially. If he's fit it has to be him. I wouldn't mind them giving Hughes a go if Jaques can't play, but Rogers is the safer call.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Always confusing when one question states who you think will replace Hayden and the other one says who would you replace him with.

Went with Jaques, would love Hughesy to be given a crack.

Evermind

International Debutant
How can you look past rogers. He is having a stellar year.

Must be cuz hes a vic now.
The guy is 32 already. What's the point? I guess it's not fair to him to pass him over, but if Australia don't want another Dad's Army with superstars all retiring at once, there's only Hughes to consider. If they really want to go with someone older, it's obviously gotta be Jaques - he has proven himself at the highest level.

Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Waugh - these guys were playing when they were still kids. Australia shouldn't make the same mistake again.

Craig

World Traveller
How can you look past rogers. He is having a stellar year.

Must be cuz hes a vic now.
For crying out loud, get over it. Explains the selections of Peter Siddle, Andrew McDonald, and Cameron White then. That said at least to an extent Siddle and McDonald justified their selections, White did not.

Voted for Jaques anyway with regards to this thread.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The guy is 32 already. What's the point? I guess it's not fair to him to pass him over, but if Australia don't want another Dad's Army with superstars all retiring at once, there's only Hughes to consider. If they really want to go with someone older, it's obviously gotta be Jaques - he has proven himself at the highest level.

Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Waugh - these guys were playing when they were still kids. Australia shouldn't make the same mistake again.
If Jaques weren't fit, I could see the possiblity of them picking Rogers over him because they believe that he'd be more effective from the get-go; being a temporary solution.