• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you select to replace Matthew Hayden as a Test Opener

Who do you think will be the Test Opener

• Total voters

Evermind

International Debutant
If Jaques weren't fit, I could see the possiblity of them picking Rogers over him because they believe that he'd be more effective from the get-go; being a temporary solution.
Though aren't Jaques, Clark, MacGill all temporary solutions? When was the last time Australia debuted a < 25 year old out of genuine optimism and not desperation (therefore Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, Siddle etc don't count)?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Though aren't Jaques, Clark, MacGill all temporary solutions? When was the last time Australia debuted a < 25 year old out of genuine optimism and not desperation (therefore Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, Siddle etc don't count)?
On Sunday, David Warner. :dry:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Michael Clarke would be the last one.

greggyb

Cricket Spectator
Next opener for Australia?

Has to be my little brother, not dismissed in 23 innings, scored more runs then the rest of his team combined, developing dangerous legspinner.

Is 9yrs old too young?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I was referring to him as a temporary solution, because he'd only be keeping the seat warm for Jaques.

And why doesn't Siddle count? Because someone else got injured for him to get a game?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure. Probably North. Another candidate? Maybe White could come back into calculations, as a batting all-rounder rather than a bowling one.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd really doubt White will get a guernsey, unless it's in place of McDonald (going from the last Test). Can't see them going with White and Symonds/Watson/McDonald.

pup11

International Coach
Jaques if he is fit and scoring runs for Blues, otherwise it has to be Hughes, Rogers is 32 and i really don't think he is a long term option, feel bad for him though as he has been a consistent performer but i think he has missed the bus.

Shaun Marsh seriously doesn't have the technique to be a test opener, so he should stop trying to convert himself into one, he should rather concentrate of getting into the middle-order of the Aussie test side.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Why so little vote of confidence for Marsh ? Looking at his performances in recent times, I think he should be the first one in the consideration Q.

pasag

RTDAS
Why so little vote of confidence for Marsh ? Looking at his performances in recent times, I think he should be the first one in the consideration Q.
Has an FC average in the mid 30s overall and one in the 20s for this season.