• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A lesson in this story

jeevan

International 12th Man
I'm no expert on the things, but I fail to see how something is unfair if all are allowed to do it. I basically just support the use of anything that improves performance. As long, obviously, as it doesn't do long-term damage. And there are many things that improve performance - I've never remotely understood how some are deemed legal and some illegal.
Would the same logic apply to removing restrictions on ball tampering, wicketkeeping gloves and on the construction of bats?

Other sports that embrace drugs or are incredibly dangerous to the human body are non-arguments. We are not followers of those sports, and don't need to take cues from them any more than we need to take cues from, say , Saudi Arabia and ban women from driving cars.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would the same logic apply to removing restrictions on ball tampering, wicketkeeping gloves and on the construction of bats?
Pretty much. Not that I'd be unequivocally in favour of all of those. I'd prefer it if wicketkeeping gloves made the job as easy as possible, but those who like wicketkeeping to be as difficult as possible, thereby meaning only those with a considerable aptitude for it can do it well, disagree. I just want to see as few dropped catches and fumbles by wicketkeepers as possible, I don't really care about the skill levels involved. I don't mind technology being used to make bats more powerful and less easily breakable, but I feel similar technology should be applied to balls to make them swing more and I think the current ball-"tampering" regulations are ridiculous. I don't favour use of knives and bottle-tops on balls, but I see no reason why rubbing dust on it should be outlawed, any more than rubbing saliva or sweat on it should.

However, as long as you allow everyone to do the same, there's nothing unfair about them.
Other sports that embrace drugs or are incredibly dangerous to the human body are non-arguments. We are not followers of those sports, and don't need to take cues from them any more than we need to take cues from, say , Saudi Arabia and ban women from driving cars.
I don't think we do. I just think we need to take a cue from common-sense.

Mind, cricket is far from un-dangerous to the human body, let's add.