• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A question about a question on TMS - beat Bearders

Not out at Hyde

Cricket Spectator
Hi CW

Can any of you beat Bearders? This has been bugging me for years and I even wrote to Bearders on the BBC but never got a reply. The question is vague, so apologies for that, but someone somewhere will surely know the answer?!!!!

A few years ago on TMS (I reckon between 10-15, so quite a few) they had a teatime quiz where, I think, you could win tickets to test matches. One of the questions related to a batsman who was very pleased that he was dismissed - and the question was why was he pleased? I am sure it was a first class match (English County League I think).

Any ideas? Virtual bottle of champagne to the winner!

Many thanks in advance

Not out at Hyde

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Afraid I don't know, but my first thought was that being dismissed gave him an average (that perhaps meant he topped the averages for that season) whereas if he'd remained unbeaten he wouldn't have had one, rather like Stuart Law in tests.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There were a lot of weird and sudden dismissals in County Cricket at ten to three on July 30th 1966 and most batsman left the crease with a big grin on their face.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was playing against Surrey at the Oval, the new ball was due and Sylvester Clarke had just been stung by a wasp