• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dents and Scratches in edges?? What to do??

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys i'm in the process of knocking my bat in and taking a look at the edges its got little scratches and dents in the edge? And because i can't knock that bit of the edge in.. And the back of the bat has scratches.. What can i do?
Cheers

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Buy a new bat.

Na, seriously, I'd get keep knocking it in and not worry too much about it.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sand the edges back a little bit. If you have a bath tub, roll the edges over the edge of the bathtub - it helps compress the wood. It's nothing to get too concerned about as it doesn't affect the performance of the bat. If the edges get worse, sand them back and put a thin coat of aralydyte over the edges, that should stop them from getting much larger.

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
haha yes i guess your right spacemonkey.. I'm getting extartec on it wednesday so should stop marks on edges.. And hopefully this bat will be a run scorer.. :laugh: :laugh:

Polo23

International Debutant
What do you mean by "little scratches and dents"? When knocking in a bat the aim is to dent the edges (when striking on a 45 degree angle with mallet) then round off the whole edge, each time you strike the bat with the mallet, it should leave a little dent.

Whatever you do though, do not strike the edge flush...always at a 45 degree angle.

As long as the bat doesnt crack, it should be fine. Cracking is the main concern, dents and scratches are little imperfections which don't detract from the performance of a bat at all, so you shouldnt worry about them.

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
What do you mean by "little scratches and dents"? When knocking in a bat the aim is to dent the edges (when striking on a 45 degree angle with mallet) then round off the whole edge, each time you strike the bat with the mallet, it should leave a little dent.

Whatever you do though, do not strike the edge flush...always at a 45 degree angle.

As long as the bat doesnt crack, it should be fine. Cracking is the main concern, dents and scratches are little imperfections which don't detract from the performance of a bat at all, so you shouldnt worry about them.
Yes i knock the edges in at 45 degrees but sometimes the mallet slips and scraps the edge which leaves dents on the flush edge.. I dunno how to scratches are getting on there?/

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
What are you saying? Try not to get scratches or dents on the face?? Or do the most knocking in on the face?? :huh:
Where did you get your bat? I just get my bats rolled at my local cricket shop, then knock them in with throw downs with old, softer balls.

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Where did you get your bat? I just get my bats rolled at my local cricket shop, then knock them in with throw downs with old, softer balls.
Greg Chappell cricket store in Melbourne City.. I thought if you get it rolled you still have to do 4-6hours.. Or that might be if you get it pressed is it??
How much it cost to get it rolled mate??

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Greg Chappell cricket store in Melbourne City.. I thought if you get it rolled you still have to do 4-6hours.. Or that might be if you get it pressed is it??
How much it cost to get it rolled mate??
I don't actually know to be honest, mine just come all done. I would think it'd only be like 20 bucks though.

You can knock bats in by doing throw downs with older balls. Does the same thing as using a mallet just isn't as tedious and repetitive.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, lots of throw downs, use it for fielding practice, etc.

Tend to give it an hour before doing that, myself, just to get a feel of how far away it is.