• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden Cricketer

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was just wondering(sorry if this has already been discussed) what people think about the merger of the two cricketing magazines. Personally i'm not that happy. I am a huge fan of WCM and think it is an excellently written and produced magazine. However out of interest at the future merger i bought the Cricketer to see waht i might be expecting. I have to say im a bit worried. Seeing Peter Roebuck writing was just about the worse start possible(how can anyone be paid for being so wrong everytime he writes!).However on the whole i got the impression that the magazine is well, too much in the EW Swanton school of cricket writing. Im not a fan frankly, its 2003 now the game has moved on since the 1950's. Interested to know what everyone else thinks but im hoping it goes in the same vain as WCM myself.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
We did discuss it elsewhere, and we came to the conclusion that they are terrified of CricketWeb.:D

Seriously, I don't read either any more because I think that they are, well, rubbish - very poorly written in the main.

WCM 3/10
Cricketer -3/10

Average - 0/10

But that's just my opinion.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
WCM did have a superb report the other month though...
No doubt.

I used to get both mags on occasion (usually when travelling), but I lost quite a bit of interest in buying magazines with the advent of the internet.

Now, the only monthly I get is Mensa - and that's free to members.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I must admit to getting both still, there are some good articles - Marcus Berkmenn always raises a smile, and there's a contact for him - LE, think he might like, and push forward into worldwide fame, the duck?

Also get that new PCA mag - anyone else get that?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a thought.

When we've been going a few more weeks, there's a possibility I might look along those lines.

I'm not sure whether they (Wisden) would look upon us as fellow cricket lovers or rivals.

I'll dip my toe in, as I've said, in a few weeks. If we get rebuffed, fine - then it'll be open Berkmann season.

Rain Men indeed. John Kettley will be turning in his grave (if he were dead, hadn't been cremated and had been impaled on a rotisserie).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah Marcus Berkmann is funny, and the writing isnt bad in WCM... The cricketer is bigger and better, with more news from around the world and english leagues, so hopefully the merger will make a happy medium

Deja moo

International Captain
what seems silly is Wisdens insistence on according the status of cricketer of the year on any single player only once....

Sample this..."this year it was a toss up between Michael Vaughn and Rahul Dravid.But Rahul Dravid had already been cricketer of the year ni 2000....."

Langeveldt

Soutie
orangepitch said:
what seems silly is Wisdens insistence on according the status of cricketer of the year on any single player only once....

Sample this..."this year it was a toss up between Michael Vaughn and Rahul Dravid.But Rahul Dravid had already been cricketer of the year ni 2000....."

What the hell is that on your signature????? Could you possibly make it any bigger? :lol: sheesh im goin to have to get broadband

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:

It's tradition, and if greats like Bradman only won it once, I see no reason to change it now.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It's tradition, and if greats like Bradman only won it once, I see no reason to change it now.
If the tradition is stupid(and it definitely is), there's all the more reason to change it....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But why is it stupid?

And why should it change?

To me it is disrespectful to the greats over the years if you get today's cricketers gaining this award on multiple occasions.