• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket and Education

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Often around England people claim that cricket is a posh sport. Certainly not in Yorkshire though. It is still (pretty much) a working mans game.

I went to University and during my time with Yorks U'19s and afterwards I felt I was at a massive disadvantage as I hadnt left school at 16 and joined either the groundstaff the indoor school staff or the Yorkshire Academy.

It seemed on those that focused exclusively on cricket at an early were advanced (possibly with some justification as the Yorkshire system is second to none).

Then today I saw and read this. I found it very interesting. It is regarding Richard Dawson becoming a University graduate and playing for Yorkshire

article said:
This makes him the first graduate to play for Yorkshire in more than 20 years. The last was Stephen Coverdale, now the chief executive of Northamptonshire, who played a handful of matches for the county after winning a Blue and a degree at Cambridge.
No graduate to play for Yorks in 20 years :-O and those that did in the past were Oxbridge. That amazed me but didnt suprise me. I came through the system duing the middle of that 20 year period.

As a student and a graduate I knew that was looked down on as a little "poofy" in Yorks cricket but I had no idea it was so endemic.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Probably similar in Lancashire, the only current player is Mark Chilton (Durham) and the only players that have come through in the recent past i can rememer are Atherton and The Crawleys (all oxbridge).All of those 4 also went to my school. The other two i can remember are simon marshall,who left last year and Jason Gallian who were both Oxbridge.

There is also Iain Sutcliffe which is probably an interesting case..he went to Leeds Grammar School the Leeds University but ended up playing for Leicestershire.

So thats a few but a lot less than you'd expect, and I think its unlikely there will be more than the odd one in future. Though we have actually signed Adrian Shankar for next year, who went to Cambridge

In the current England side I think there is only Strauss(Durham) and maybe

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Probably similar in Lancashire, the only current player is Mark Chilton (Durham) and the only players that have come through in the recent past i can rememer are Atherton and The Crawleys (all oxbridge).All of those 4 also went to my school. The other two i can remember are simon marshall,who left last year and Jason Gallian who were both Oxbridge.

There is also Iain Sutcliffe which is probably an interesting case..he went to Leeds Grammar School the Leeds University but ended up playing for Leicestershire.

So thats a few but a lot less than you'd expect, and I think its unlikely there will be more than the odd one in future. Though we have actually signed Adrian Shankar for next year, who went to Cambridge

In the current England side I think there is only Strauss (Durham) and maybe
Monty went to Loughborough (as did Luke Wright), did something to do with computers.

And KP was enrolled at the University of South Africa.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Monty went to Loughborough (as did Luke Wright), did something to do with computers.

And KP was enrolled at the University of South Africa.
Forgot about Monty (didn't know about Wright). Any idea what KP did at UNISA, was it a distance learning course?

I actually forgot to finish off the post as evidenced by the random 'and maybe' which was going to refer to kp

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Here is a link to the article I referenced in the opening post.

Whilst other counties may be similar, Yorks appears to be in its own category. Up until, the now departed, Dawson graduated in 2001 the last graduate to play for Yorkshire with any regularity was Richard Hutton and he debuted in 1962.

Other counties may only have a few graduates but that massive gap and exclusion in Yorks cricket history tells us something (though Im not sure what)

To Richards possible chagrin, the article excludes Nasser from their 2001 England Graduates' XI

The 2001 County Graduates' Team is: M A Atherton (capt), S P James, R R Montgomerie, J P Crawley, E T Smith, W S Kendall, R J Turner, R S C Martin-Jenkins, P S Jones, A M Smith, R K J Dawson.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
In the current Pak team only Misbah is a graduate, he's done graduation in civil engineering and is also an MBA in marketing to boot. From the previous generation Imran was an Oxbridge chap also from what I have heard the Raja brothers and Majid Khan were pretty well educated.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Not regulars but I think Faisal Iqbal and bazid are also graduates, Iqbal is a BS in computers from some ****ty uni in Karachi while Bazid went to Brighton.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

In the current England side I think there is only Strauss(Durham) and maybe
David Varey and Kevin Hayes were Oxbridge - pretty sure Doug Beckett was a graduate too

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not even IIM.
If I'm not mistaken (and I might be actually), the majority of guys getting into IIM's are either IIT grads or engineers from other institutes. IIM's are just a means for engineers to jack up their pay packets :ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
If I'm not mistaken (and I might be actually), the majority of guys getting into IIM's are either IIT grads or engineers from other institutes. IIM's are just a means for engineers to jack up their pay packets :ph34r:
yup thats what I have heard but one of my friend got in despite having a bachelors in economics.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
yup thats what I have heard but one of my friend got in despite having a bachelors in economics.
Wow, good stuff from your friend. Its damn tough getting into those. Seems to be a changing trend nowadays. One of my batchmates is currently trying to get into an MBA program, preferably one of the IIM's, after having done his MBBS.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am sorry but does education means having some sort of Degree from so and so ?

krkode

State Captain
I think among recent Indians Kumble (and possibly Srinath) are university educated. Kumble is a computer programmer or something like that too.

Not sure how many other Indians have college degrees, but the Indian system of selection seems to really favor those who have been playing serious cricket from a very young age which would ultimately reduce the number of college grads who get into cricket.

krkode

State Captain
Really? :p Any form of engineering is good stuff in my books. Its the MBA nonsense I can't give credence to. :ph34r:
I'm not familiar with the system of education in India, but isn't an MBA an advanced degree such that you need an undergraduate degree to start?

I know MBBS in India (or the British system) doesn't work that way and you start right after 12th, but I figured MBA was universally post-graduate education?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To Richards possible chagrin, the article excludes Nasser from their 2001 England Graduates' XI

The 2001 County Graduates' Team is: M A Atherton (capt), S P James, R R Montgomerie, J P Crawley, E T Smith, W S Kendall, R J Turner, R S C Martin-Jenkins, P S Jones, A M Smith, R K J Dawson.
If it's supposed to be picked on cricketing skill and not some form of education-related matters, then yes, Hussain being excluded in favour of William Kendall is ridiculous. :laugh: At least Crawley, Richard Montgomerie, Steve James and Ed Smith were county-standard batsmen.