• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket and Education

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm not familiar with the system of education in India, but isn't an MBA an advanced degree such that you need an undergraduate degree to start?

I know MBBS in India (or the British system) doesn't work that way and you start right after 12th, but I figured MBA was universally post-graduate education?
It is, which is one of my main gripes with it; that it haughtily considers itself such an advanced course that all others are mere primers towards achieving it. If I had my way, an MBA would be unified with a basic economics or commerce course or its constituents split up and incorporated as auxiliary subjects in high school.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cricket is probably a bit "posher" on average in the south than, say, football.

I don't think being a graduate is necessarily the best barometer of class tho. I mean, I'm one and am common as the commonest muck you could imagine. Went to a comprehensive and old man was a motor mechanic. It's probably more illuminating to check who went to independent (fee-paying) schools. Of the current squad this includes Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Prior, Broad, Panesar & Patel. Pretty much anyone vaguely southern except Bopara & Shah in fact. Given those who attended fee-paying schools make up about 7% of the population there's a clear over-representation there.

krkode

State Captain
It is, which is one of my main gripes with it; that it haughtily considers itself such an advanced course that all others are mere primers towards achieving it. If I had my way, an MBA would be unified with a basic economics or commerce course or its constituents split up and incorporated as auxiliary subjects in high school.
Not to hijack the thread by continuing this discussion but I guess I see what you mean. In the US, generally, I believe the vast majority of MBAs do the degree after 4-5 years of working which is supposed to give them the experience necessary to proceed with learning about managing businesses. I guess those who start doing an MBA right after undergrad are kind of short-changing themselves or maybe not learning anything meaningful.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I don't think being a graduate is necessarily the best barometer of class tho. I mean, I'm one and am common as the commonest muck you could imagine. Went to a comprehensive and old man was a motor mechanic. It's probably more illuminating to check who went to independent (fee-paying) schools. Of the current squad this includes Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Prior, Broad, Panesar & Patel. Pretty much anyone vaguely southern except Bopara & Shah in fact. Given those who attended fee-paying schools make up about 7% of the population there's a clear over-representation there.
Look, I have encountered some of the commonest muck and they don't even know a word such as illuminating exists :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Panesar wasn't - Bedford Modern.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Thought that was independent and wiki seems to back me up. Might be wrong, but I think he went there for sixth form only on some kind of scholarship.
Ah. It's never come up on my radar. Having looked it up, it's bloody massive, and far bigger than Bedford School, which was the one I had heard of, and the one with pictures of Alastair Cook all over its pavilion...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not to hijack the thread by continuing this discussion but I guess I see what you mean. In the US, generally, I believe the vast majority of MBAs do the degree after 4-5 years of working which is supposed to give them the experience necessary to proceed with learning about managing businesses. I guess those who start doing an MBA right after undergrad are kind of short-changing themselves or maybe not learning anything meaningful.
Yeah, thats a very good point. One of the main functions of an MBA is to fill in the deficiences that are keeping one from realising the full potential of an existing business. Group discussions with fellow students are an integral part of an MBA education, and the discussions are much more productive when one can bounce ideas off the others and fill in his blanks with the experiences of the other students. That wouldn't be possible if the student has no idea what exactly he needs from the MBA since he hasn't stepped outside a classroom all his life.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
As a black/mixed raced English cat. Cricket is definately seen as 100% posch. Can't get to much girls playing cricket i'll tell ya.

But f*** THEM hoes, i love my cricket ya figg..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As a black/mixed raced English cat. Cricket is definately seen as 100% posch. Can't get to much girls playing cricket i'll tell ya.

But f*** THEM hoes, i love my cricket ya figg..
I don't mind you posting, just try not to say anything in future then we can be spared the embarassment of you and your lingo

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't get to much girls playing cricket i'll tell ya.
Have to say the quality of female fan at cricket is higher than football in my experience. Rugby Union the market lead for team sports tho, but horse racing miles ahead of anything else generally.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
On a mildly related note, was watching a video which chronicled Ishant Sharma's childhood and early career and it noted that although he has not completed schooling, it is necessary that he does in order to become a well rounded person. It was posited that cricketers look down on those from different careers and that education is needed to combat this.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
On a mildly related note, was watching a video which chronicled Ishant Sharma's childhood and early career and it noted that although he has not completed schooling, it is necessary that he does in order to become a well rounded person. It was posited that cricketers look down on those from different careers and that education is needed to combat this.
I think the current generation of cricketers realises that. RP Singh reportedly carried along his books on the Australian tour, and MS Dhoni is keen to complete the commerce course he's applied for.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to say the quality of female fan at cricket is higher than football in my experience. Rugby Union the market lead for team sports tho, but horse racing miles ahead of anything else generally.
Rugby-watching girls aren't interested in my 5"7 frame and having went to Norn Iron's biggest rugby school i can exclusively reveal that they are also really, really annoying. I'm yet to meet a girl who feels anything but utter contempt towards cricket but look forward to the day i do. Therefore, the Middlesborough season-ticket holder i live with has this one down for the football fans. She doesn't know a lot about football (i.e. thinks Stewart Downing is a footballer) but you would.

krkode

State Captain
Rugby-watching girls aren't interested in my 5"7 frame and having went to Norn Iron's biggest rugby school i can exclusively reveal that they are also really, really annoying. I'm yet to meet a girl who feels anything but utter contempt towards cricket but look forward to the day i do. Therefore, the Middlesborough season-ticket holder i live with has this one down for the football fans. She doesn't know a lot about football (i.e. thinks Stewart Downing is a footballer) but you would.
Sadly cricket players don't quite fit the bill of "athletic macho men" - guess it comes from being a sport where one doesn't have to be that physically gifted to be good/decent at. There's a few exceptions like KP and Hayden who are quite buff and you could look at them and go, "oh yeah, he's probably a professional athlete." But you probably wouldn't look at an Ishant Sharma or a Tendulkar and say the same.

Probably also has to do with unflattering dress code, compared to say footballers or swimmers who are always strutting their stuff.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Probably also has to do with unflattering dress code, compared to say footballers or swimmers who are always strutting their stuff.
You've just mentioned the lack of visual athleticism in the average cricketer. I think we should be thankful they're keeping as well covered up as they are :ph34r:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sadly cricket players don't quite fit the bill of "athletic macho men" - guess it comes from being a sport where one doesn't have to be that physically gifted to be good/decent at. There's a few exceptions like KP and Hayden who are quite buff and you could look at them and go, "oh yeah, he's probably a professional athlete." But you probably wouldn't look at an Ishant Sharma or a Tendulkar and say the same.

Actually i've heard quite flattering comments about cricketing attire. Obviously only in tests, no girl is attracted to fools in pyjamas dancing on a field.