• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was your first cricketing icon?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ok, I'm going to cheat slightly and give 2, for reasons given below.

First icon was the great Brian Charles Lara, although my admiration for him wasn't based on seeing him play. I started playing cricket around about 1994, right at the time when Lara's batting exploits were making him headlines. When you're an impressionable 9 year old and you see headlines about Lara making the highest Test score, then the highest ever score, it's natural to think that this man must be the greatest cricketer ever. That, combined with the fact that it was his name on the cricket game you play on your friend's Mega Drive, meant that it was Lara who I would always pretend to be when playing.

My first icon based on seeing them play however, was Lance Klusener. The 1999 World Cup is the first proper cricket I can remember watching (though I've got memories of watching Dominic Cork's hat-trick vs the West Indies c. 1995), and it just seemed that everytime I saw Klusener stride to the crease, he would just effortlessly smash the bowling all over the park, as if it was the easiest thing in the world to do. When you combine that with the fact that not only could he bowl fast, he took wickets for South Africa as well, it's easy to see why at the time I thought he was easily the best cricketer around.

Who were your first cricketing idols?

thierry henry

International Coach
It was Martin Crowe, I think. I started following cricket as a 6/7 year old, during the 1991/1992 season and then particularly during the World Cup where Crowe dominated. I obviously thought he was the man back then.

I think I was more keen on being a fast bowler back then, and it was the rather unglamorous (in retrospect) Danny Morrison who was the man at the time, and I think I tried to copy his action. I also liked Waqar Younis.

Strangely though, when it comes to cricket I've never really been prone to hero worship, in contrast to the other sports I follow (particularly football and rugby league) where I tend to be obsessed with individuals.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Martin Crowe when I was 5-10
Cairns afterwards.

Jeets is basically my main man these days.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Slater actually, coming from the same town and school as he did. He was just starting his international career when I was about 7 or 8 so he was all the rage.
Matt Hayden then became my favourite player around 95/96 and have stuck with him ever since, although Clarke is about equal with him now.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
I used to like Slater because first game i ever saw he scored a double hundread. Then from later in the series its has to be Sanath

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Harris for me I think. He was just awesome at everything in ODIs, which was the form of cricket I got into first.

99*

International Debutant
Chris Cairns when I was still learning.

Warne as I got older, and tried spin bowling.

When that failed and I began opening, Fleming.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I used to like Slater because first game i ever saw he scored a double hundread. Then from later in the series its has to be Sanath
Yep. My strongest early memory was the game at the WACA where Slater hit 219 and Ponting hit 97 on debut.

Slater was my favourite until he retired and then it became Ponting. Then I realised that Ponting is a **** and now there's no-one I'm particularly loyal to (apart from Lee Carseldine)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Growing up in the '80s in Pakistan, there wasn't a kid who didn't idolize Imran Khan. I was no different.

biased indian

International Coach
till 90's it was Gavaskar

then it was tendulkar and is the same up to know and don't think any one will take his place now

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Liked Cricket beforehand, but after watching Mark Waugh's superb century at Adelaide on debut it was him.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
As an Indian who started following cricket in the mid 90s, I'd have to have been living under a rock if my answer wasn't Tendulkar.