• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was your first cricketing icon?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Bevan. Always liked that way he never looked like he was going for a target, but he'd always get there with 2 or 3 balls to spare.

One of the first ODIs I was ever exposed to was the New Year's ODI in 1995/96. Might have set expectations a bit high.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dennis Lillee

I remember hearing when I was really young that the optimal height for a fast bowler (old science I think haha) was 6'1" and so I wanted to be that tall.

Good thing about my cricket obsession when I was little was I went from being terrible to pretty good in an off-season. Bad thing was sore back in my teens.

Evermind

International Debutant
Mark Greatbatch. I was 10 years old during the '92 world cup, and he set the whole thing alight. Loved watching him bat!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Viv. I was very very small, I think 2-3 years old when I started watching cricket and this great man batting just rocked my interest at such a young age, enough so that I'd remember him. I come from a footballing (soccer) family so loving cricket has been hard to do since when I was younger I wasn't given the few hours to watch cricket whilst everyone else thought it was boring. I moved to NZ when I was still very young 4-5 years old and for a few years it was Chris Cairns and his poster adorning my room

Later I moved to Australia and a blonde spinner named Warne emerged. Ever since he's been mesmerising me, the opposition and his own team.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
W G Grace for me, Never forget watching him blazing the ball to all parts as a young fella :whistling

Matt79

Global Moderator
Steve Waugh, circa 87 World Cup. The fact he could never quite get his maiden test ton just sealed the deal.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman remains my first and greatest, despite missing his playing career by several decades. In fact many of my greatest idols played before I was born.

Of those I saw live, Sir Viv and Greg Chappell were probably the first two. Though over the following years AB played a bigger role.

Last edited:

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
Brendon McCullum (before he was cool to like) remeber him and Papps debuting and scoring 50's against RSA.

I think it must've been because he had the 'same' GM bat as me and when he changed to Puma I remember telling my mum that maybe I should too:laugh:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Tony Grieg - this was in the mid-late 70s when I was about 3.

Botham obviously in the early 80s, although I'd like to think that while recognising his brilliance I always thought he was a bit of a pillock.

But my first proper cricketing hero was David Gower.

And I had favourites from reading about the history of the game, most notably Maurice Tate - partly because he played for Sussex and partly because of the nice things that Bradman wrote about him in the Art of Cricket.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Growing up in the '80s in Pakistan, there wasn't a kid who didn't idolize Imran Khan. I was no different.
btw Fusion you are a lucky guy that you are old enough to remember the 80's Pakistani team probably the best Pak side in history:)

masterblaster

International Captain
When I was younger I was a huge fan of Kapil Dev and David Boon. Both of them were probably my first two cricketing icons. Later on as I grew up it became Anil Kumble and Sachin Tendulkar.