• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian team(s) from 1989 to 2006?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Might be one of the least interesting of the lot, but an absolute must to go with Eng, WI and SA. Have to go back a bit further than for the others, as the period fits so neatly with the dominance of the team.

Given the fact that the presence (or otherwise) of 1 player would be likely to derail such a thread substantially, and the fact that there's such a surfeit of quality, I reckon the best bet would be to pick two teams: 1989-2001 and 2001/02-2006/07. If players played lots in both periods they are, of course, available for both.

So:
1989-2001:
MA Taylor (c)
MJ Slater
DC Boon
AR Border
ME Waugh
SR Waugh
IA Healy (w)
SK Warne
CJ McDermott
MG Hughes
GD McGrath
Squad members: TM Alderman, PR Reiffel, JL Langer, MTG Elliott, PA Emery.
2001/02-2006/07:
JL Langer
ML Hayden
RT Ponting (c)
MEK Hussey
DS Lehmann
DR Martyn
AC Gilchrist (w)
SK Warne
JN Gillespie
SR Clark
GD McGrath
Squad members: BJ Haddin, SCG MacGill, BJ Hodge, MS Kasprowicz, PA Jaques.

Who else fancies it?

inbox24

International Debutant
Might be one of the least interesting of the lot, but an absolute must to go with Eng, WI and SA. Have to go back a bit further than for the others, as the period fits so neatly with the dominance of the team.

Given the fact that the presence (or otherwise) of 1 player would be likely to derail such a thread substantially, and the fact that there's such a surfeit of quality, I reckon the best bet would be to pick two teams: 1989-2001 and 2001/02-2006/07. If players played lots in both periods they are, of course, available for both.

So:
1989-2001:
MA Taylor (c)
MJ Slater
DC Boon
AR Border
ME Waugh
SR Waugh
IA Healy (w)
SK Warne
CJ McDermott
MG Hughes
GD McGrath
2001/02-2006/07:
JL Langer
ML Hayden
RT Ponting (c)
MEK Hussey
DS Lehmann
DR Martyn
AC Gilchrist (w)
SK Warne
JN Gillespie
SR Clark
GD McGrath

Who else fancies it?
The 2nd team is a destroyer of universes, including the England Ashes team of '05.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's a little easy that way though, isn't it? The teams go close to picking themselves. I'll just pick one for the whole period.

Taylor (c)
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
S. Waugh
Border
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Clark
McGrath

Second opening spot was a tricky one. Taylor has a strong case but his batting went downhill pretty badly when he was captain, which sort of negates the benefit of picking him as a captain in the first place. Still has a slightly stronger case than Slater and Langer though, IMO.

Hussey at 4 was a tough one too. He hasn't played as much cricket as some guys so I can see the argument against it. Also considered Martyn, Waugh and Boon.

And the third seamer was a tough one too. Like with Hussey, Clark hasn't finished his career so it's a bit hard to judge, but I do think he's better than Lee, McDermott and Hughes, who were the other candidates.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain
No way in hell you could take Clark over Lee (despite the average) IMO.

2001-onwards (From when I first started watching cricket...)
1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Mark Waugh
5. Steve Waugh
6. Martyn
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Lee
10. Gillespie
11. McGrath

Hussey, Clarke and MacGill (despite not liking him...) unlucky to miss out.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
1. Taylor (c)
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. S. Waugh
6. Border
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Gillespie
10. McDermott
11. McGrath

Almost put Langer in at 4 just because no-one else really has a 100% case for it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Since 1989 my team would be.

1 M Hayden
2 M Taylor
3 R Ponting
4 M Hussey
5 S Waugh
6 A Border
7 A Gilchrist
8 S Warne
9 J Gillespie
10 C McDermott
11 G McGrath

I think that the hardest choice was picking the opener partner for Hayden. Langer and Slater were both in with a chance, but I went for Taylor who was good at seeing off the new ball and when he was hot, he never looked like getting out and terrific slip fielder.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon mine would be:

MA Taylor (c)
ML Hayden
RT Ponting
ME Waugh
AR Border
SR Waugh
AC Gilchrist
SK Warne
JN Gillespie
CJ McDermott
GD McGrath

If you put Hussey in for Junior I'd have no problem, and Marto could count himself unlucky too. Billy just edges out Lee and Merv, while if Clark can come back strongly and continue to perform at the level he has been then he's in with a real shout. In English conditions Alderman would have to come in for either McDermott or Gillespie.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
hayden
langer
ponting
waugh
waugh
border
gilchrist
warne
fleming
gellispie
mcgrath

wow, what a team. potentially the best batting line-up EVER. actually, scratch that, can't think of a better one.

iamdavid

International Debutant
1.MJ Slater
2.ML Hayden
3.RT Ponting
4.ME Waugh
5.SR Waugh*
6.AR Border
7.AC Gilchrist+
8.SK Warne
9.JN Gillespie
10.D Fleming
11.GD McGrath

They all picked themselves really besides numbers 4 and 10. I went for ME Waugh narrowly over Hussey, Martyn and Lehmann, on the basis of his longevity and catching.
While for the third seamer position Damien Fleming pips Clark, McDermott and I suppose Brett Lee, as being a genuine swing bowler he nicely complements the other two and lends a bit of variety to the attack.

The squad would also include McDermott, MacGill and Hussey.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Question for everyone who's replied so far:

Is Border from 1989 onwards really better than Damien Martyn or Michael Hussey in the nominated period? In that period he scored 4 centuries in 56 matches, as opposed to 23 in the preceding 100 matches, and averaged 47. Not saying he was bad, he scored a lot of 50s in that time, but there's a case for including either Martyn or Hussey over him, for this period specifically.

Link

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
I would still rest easier with Border's name at 6 than either of Hussey or Martyn.

And I know the decline in bowling standards, flatter pitches etc etc argument has been done to death, however it's very relavent here. I think either of Hussey or Martyn would've been very happy to average 47 from 1989 to 1994.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'd take:
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
S. Waugh*
Border
Gilchrist+
Warne
Gillespie
McDermott
McGrath

Taylor misses out by the proverbial, as does Hussey. Fleming, and Hughes also in the squad of 16.

EDITED: iamdavid makes a fair point. Hussey is at a bit of a cross roads - if his returns continue their recent slump, we'll have to conclude the last couple of years represent a peak that while remarkable, is no more impressive than the peaks of many other players. If on the other hand he continues in the way he has for most of the past couple of years, he'd be in ahead of Martyn or Border.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If the game was being played in England, Terry Alderman would have to play. What a magnificent bowler he was. I can't remember ever seeing a bowler better suited to English conditions. If he hadn't got injured in 1982/3 he would be recognised as an all-time great. McGrath and Warne obviously get in alongside him, and Gillespie would get the 4th bowler slot for me.

So:

Taylor (c)
Hayden
Ponting
M Waugh
Hussey
S Waugh
Gilchrist (w)
Warne
Gillespie
Alderman
McGrath

Beleg

International Regular
seriously tho

second xi from the era'd be

slater
taylor
boon
martyn
hussey
lehmann
healy
lee
mcgill
mcdermott
kaspa

that team'd beat most first XIs

wow

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

So:
1989-2001:
MA Taylor (c)
MJ Slater
DC Boon
AR Border
ME Waugh
SR Waugh
IA Healy (w)
SK Warne
CJ McDermott
MG Hughes
GD McGrath
2001/02-2006/07:
JL Langer
ML Hayden
RT Ponting (c)
MEK Hussey
DS Lehmann
DR Martyn
AC Gilchrist (w)
SK Warne
JN Gillespie
SR Clark
GD McGrath

Who else fancies it?
Haha. Richard conveniently forgets Brett Lee again.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Team A
1 M Hayden
2 M Taylor [vice captain]
3 R Ponting
4 M Hussey
5 S Waugh
6 A Border [captain]
7 A Gilchrist
8 S Warne
9 J Gillespie
10 C McDermott
11 G McGrath

Team B
1 J Langer [vice captain]
2 M Slater
3 D Boon [captain]
4 M Waugh
5 M Clarke
6 D Martyn
7 I Healy
8 P Reiffel
9 M Hughes
10 S MacGill
11 T Alderman

Wow, the bowling attack is tough.

Reid, Fleming, Clark, Miller, Lee all were considered but miss out.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. Richard conveniently forgets Brett Lee again.
I didn't forget him, he crossed my mind a good few times - in that he wasn't remotely worth a place. I just see absolutely no reason to consider him anywhere near as good as McGrath, Warne, McDermott, Hughes, Alderman, Reiffel, Clark, Gillespie, Fleming or Kasprowicz. Or even Reid, who hardly played after '89.

Lee's claim to fame before 2007/08 was 9 superlative Tests in 1999/2000 and 2000/01. Aside from that, he was exceptionally poor. In 2007/08 and 2008 he was exceptional, but since then he's been diabolical again.

Do you see anyone else clamouring for his inclusion? Why do I get singled-out?