• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian team(s) from 1989 to 2006?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Border
S. Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
McDermott
McGrath

Most of the side picks itself but I found three positions very difficult.
First was the openers with a difficult choice between Hayden, Langer, Slater and Taylor.
Second was whether Hussey, Mark Waugh and Martyn - If this side is up to the start of 2006 then Hussey obviously has to make way for lack of matches
Lastly the 3rd seamer, would have gone for Clark but as has been mentioned he had not played much by the end 2006

Last edited:

stephen

Team A
1 M Hayden
2 M Taylor [vice captain]
3 R Ponting
4 M Hussey
5 S Waugh
6 A Border [captain]
7 A Gilchrist
8 S Warne
9 J Gillespie
10 C McDermott
11 G McGrath

Team B
1 J Langer [vice captain]
2 M Slater
3 D Boon [captain]
4 M Waugh
5 M Clarke
6 D Martyn
7 I Healy
8 P Reiffel
9 M Hughes
10 S MacGill
11 T Alderman

Wow, the bowling attack is tough.

Reid, Fleming, Clark, Miller, Lee all were considered but miss out.
AWTA almost completely, right down to captaincy choices. Only change is junior for hussey. And obviously Alderman for McDermott overseas.

andyc

I'm Surprised you picked Langer ahead of Taylor or Slater.
Would pick him ahead of Slater every time. Taylor would only nudge him out for his captaincy, and maybe fielding. A slips cordon with Taylor, Hayden, Warne and possibly Mark Waugh to chose from :blink:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor was a very good test opener at his peak. Probably better than Langer on batting alone IMO. Fielding and captaincy is just a bonus.

Agreed that Langer is > Slater though. Hayden the best of the lot.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
He wasn't really, because he was poor in the 2005 Ashes and poor in the 2006/07 one, even though his figures in 2006/07 flattered him enormously.

Lee bowled decently in 2005/06 and very well indeed in 2007/08 AFAIC. And that's it. I don't have a problem with someone claiming he had some ill-luck in a home Test against SA or two, but I do have a problem with them claiming that if they don't then admit that his 2006/07 figures flattered him considerably.
I hate you, wake up to yourself.