• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo Awards 2008

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where's Steyn's 5-24 against India?

In its absence i went for Sehwag's 201*, Panesar vs. New Zealand, Sachin's 117 and Mendis's 6-13.

krkode

State Captain
Obviously my view is limited to matches I've followed and so probably there's a hint of bias towards India.

My votes would be:

Test Batting: Sehwag's 201* vs SL (runner up: Sehwag's 83 vs. Eng) - Sehwag almost single-handedly won this test for India in a tour that was otherwise quite dismal.

Test Bowling: Shakib's 7-fer vs. NZ - Ban's one solid chance at actually winning against a decent test-class team. Vettori's performance in this game also deserves some sort of all-rounder performance if such a thing existed.

ODI Batting: Tendulkar's 117* vs. Aus in the CB series - winning this was just an awesome feeling, that too 2-0 in a final - Brett Lee's beamer to Tendulkar and their making up immediately after was also a good feeling, especially considering the heated test series that preceded the ODI series.

ODI Bowling: Mendis 6-13 vs. India in the Asia Cup. I hadn't seen Mendis bowl before this match but the sheer ass-kicking he handed India was just painful to watch. I remember Sehwag was proceeding at break-neck speed and then Mendis had him out stumped with a neat delivery. Everything just went downhill from there. :(

Evermind

International Debutant
Duminy, hands down. Come on, guys! The rest aren't even close. He won that game for SA.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
I was surprised at the absence of Sehwag's triple, despite it not being a matchwinning effort it was phenomenal to watch.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In Test Batting: definitely Sehwag vs Sri Lanka
In Test Bowling: I'm not sure
In ODI Batting: Sachin vs Australia
In ODI Bowling: Mendis vs India

One might sense a bit of bias towards India from some choices; but those who are fairly familiar with my posts know for sure that my posts are never biased towards India...

ozone

First Class Debutant
Test batting: Graeme Smith 154* v England at Edgbaston
Test bowling: Dale Steyn 5-67 v Australia at Melbourne
ODI batting: Yuvraj Singh 138 v England at Rajkot
ODI bowling: Ajantha Mendis 6-13 v India at Karachi
These for mine, although had it happened last year, 'Graeme Smith 3 from 17' would have been a strong contender.

Evermind

International Debutant
And Sehwag didn't win that game for India?
Yeah, the difference is that in JP's case he was the last batsman in, and he batted with the tail-enders against the best team in the world. Sehwag's innings are usually relatively pressure-free because he's an opener. In context, I would rate JP's innings as the more valuable one - an almost-miraculous turn of the tide.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Personally would give the bowling award to Michael Clarke for his 3 wickets off the penultimate over at Sydney. I still harbour disgust for the dishonest bugger, and India didn't deserve to be placed by the combination of circumstances into that position on the final day, but you don't see a dramatic finish like that in even a decade of cricket.

haroon510

International 12th Man
for me everything the same but i would change Yuvraj to Sachin against Aus " first final century" in ODI..

test cricketer of the year should go to Smith for his amzing captiancy and bating performance.

biased indian

International Coach
In Test Batting: Sehwag vs Sri Lanka
In Test Bowling: Styen vs Australia (took his batting in that test into consideration :) )
In ODI Batting: Sachin vs Australia
In ODI Bowling: Mendis vs India