• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Hussey

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would the real Mike Hussey please stand up?

I can remember late 90's, early this Millennium Hussey would have a wonderful season where he would average 50+, then back it up the next season with a below 30 season. This is the reason I think it took him so long to play for Australia.

I think we are seeing the real Mike Hussey now at test level. When he's 'On Song' he is a classy player, but when he loses confidence he's all over the place.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the side or he's not test class, but I think we're finally seeing both sides of the Hussey tale.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not so concerned about the early dismissals, but throwing away a solid start is a real worry, and very unlike his earlier test performances. He was always going to come down to earth to a degree, but some runs soon would be nice.

Hopefully in the return series in SA, when it matters.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A victim of what I think is called "reversion to the mean". His form at the start of his test career was so very exceptional (out of all proportion to his first-class record previously) that it was almost inevitable that he'd have a slump of the kind he now appears to be in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think we are seeing the real Mike Hussey now at test level. When he's 'On Song' he is a classy player, but when he loses confidence he's all over the place.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the side or he's not test class, but I think we're finally seeing both sides of the Hussey tale.
I guess the only surprise is that it took so long.

susudear

Banned
Aye

I think we are seeing the real Mike Hussey now at test level.
His figures were inflated by playing on Aussie backyards for almost all the time in his early years in test cricket. Coupled with his peak form, the figures reached an obscene level.

His first real blip came on the tour to West Indies early last year. That seems to have affected his confidence to a good degree. Plus, teams have figured out his percentage shots, the cover drive and the pull. Inhibit those shots, make him work hard for the runs, and you have got him.

howardj

International Coach
Loving the fact this slump is bringing his average way down.

Never deserved to average above 60.

Irks me when casual observers say: "where was he all these years"?

To which I always reply: "nicking anything that moved in the Sheffield Shield".

luffy

International Captain
When he's 'On Song' he is a classy player, but when he loses confidence he's all over the place.
But, doesn't that apply to everyone that has scored a couple of low scores and needs to regain confidence?

Some examples:

* Andrew Symonds- when he made his debut he wasn't scoring many runs, right? Than he had that one big innings, and he continued on with good form there, and now what has happened to him, his confidence is low due to all the off-field dramas, and he's been batting shocking.

* Matthew Hayden- Is batting poorly at the moment, but just needs one performance to get him back to consistently scoring runs.

Basically, what i'm trying to say from all this is, Hussey is a very good batter, and once his confidence is regained, his shot timing, etc, will also return, to which he will be back to how he was before this slump.

krkode

State Captain
A victim of what I think is called "reversion to the mean". His form at the start of his test career was so very exceptional (out of all proportion to his first-class record previously) that it was almost inevitable that he'd have a slump of the kind he now appears to be in.
This pretty much sums it up, I think. This slump was almost too well expected, he wasn't going to average 60+ for the rest of his career. He's still a decent batsman, and I am fairly sure he'll end up with a 50+ average when he retires, but he's been on an almost fairy tale high so far - and it was only a matter of time.

The last game against South Africa was the first time Hussey's average has been below 60 since debut. Unreal!

pup11

International Coach
Would the real Mike Hussey please stand up?

I can remember late 90's, early this Millennium Hussey would have a wonderful season where he would average 50+, then back it up the next season with a below 30 season. This is the reason I think it took him so long to play for Australia.

Frankly speaking if this is Hussey' worst form then many players around the world wouldn't mind having a lean patch like the one he is having, he has effectively had three bad tests in a row which has been something unusual for him, but i think he is too good a player to suffer from this slump for too long, i personally would back him to soon get that average of his above 60, because i think you can be rest assured about one thing with Hussey that once he gets going he would more then make up for his lean patch.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think it is very unlikely that he will finish his career with an average of above 60, players better than Hussey have failed to do this in recent years and I would be amazed if he was the exception. Not to say that he wont recover his form but will finish in the mid to low 50's like so many others are at the moment.