• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke not considered for either Test or ODI squads

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6630315-23209,00.html

Well looks lik the Aussie selectors have taken what I think is the smartest route. Particularly poignant is this part:

Hohns claimed that while Clarke had performed well in one-day matches, this was not the same as succeeding in the Test arena.

"There is no doubt he is the shining light for the future," Hohns said. "He must continue to perform."

There you have it. The selectors arent rushing him and are having a long look at him before they rush him into a team which is not really desperate for change yet.

Cloete

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6630315-23209,00.html

Well looks lik the Aussie selectors have taken what I think is the smartest route. Particularly poignant is this part:

Hohns claimed that while Clarke had performed well in one-day matches, this was not the same as succeeding in the Test arena.

"There is no doubt he is the shining light for the future," Hohns said. "He must continue to perform."

There you have it. The selectors arent rushing him and are having a long look at him before they rush him into a team which is not really desperate for change yet.
unlike the england selectors on rikki clarke 'ey?

Andre

International Regular
Good call here. I'd say keep him scoring consistent runs until he forces the selectors to pick him. At this stage of his career, he has not done that yet.

Jimmy Maher left out of the ODI squad was kind of interesting I thought....

Eclipse

International Debutant
Andre said:
Good call here. I'd say keep him scoring consistent runs until he forces the selectors to pick him. At this stage of his career, he has not done that yet.

Jimmy Maher left out of the ODI squad was kind of interesting I thought....
meh... I cant say I have been very impressed with Jimmy's form latley.

dezzygillespie

Cricket Spectator
When you look at the ages of some of the current Oz team it makes you realise that a program of new. younger players like Clark should be on the agenda.

Martyn - 31
Gilchrist - 31
Lehmann - 33
Langer - 32
Hayden - 31
Bichel - 32
McGrath - 33
Warne - 33
Hogg - 33
Love - 29
Waugh - 38

And some of these players will have birthdays before next summer.....

You can't see many of these still going at 38 like Steve Waugh.

I think they might find ourselves back with the pack in a few years time if so many players are retiring in a short space if time.

The ideal thing is to introduce young players at regular intervals and allow them to develop within an established well-performed side. Thats not going to happen with the Australian side given the current age profile.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
dezzygillespie said:
When you look at the ages of some of the current Oz team it makes you realise that a program of new. younger players like Clark should be on the agenda.

Martyn - 31
Gilchrist - 31
Lehmann - 33
Langer - 32
Hayden - 31
Bichel - 32
McGrath - 33
Warne - 33
Hogg - 33
Love - 29
Waugh - 38

And some of these players will have birthdays before next summer.....

You can't see many of these still going at 38 like Steve Waugh.

I think they might find ourselves back with the pack in a few years time if so many players are retiring in a short space if time.

The ideal thing is to introduce young players at regular intervals and allow them to develop within an established well-performed side. Thats not going to happen with the Australian side given the current age profile.
Exactly my thoughts........it is imperative that some youngsters are brought in in the next 2 years.
Clarke for Lehmann NOW, and then another youngster for Stephen Waugh when he decides to go.

Australia will end up as a struggling team if this team is not refreshed on a gradual basis.

krkode

State Captain
Given the Aussis' position in world cricket, right now, they don't need to push, I guess.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the only pushing going on in the next couple of years if they don't get some youngsters blooded will be in the line for the toilet.

Sorry. Ageist joke, but as I'm a geriatric, I'm allowed.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I think the only pushing going on in the next couple of years if they don't get some youngsters blooded will be in the line for the toilet.

Sorry. Ageist joke, but as I'm a geriatric, I'm allowed.
Off topic, but age related.......guy suffering from alzheimers goes to a nightclub. Sees a pretty girl standing by the bar, so he walks up and says "Do I come here often?" ..........

Simon

Clarke wasnt picked because he simply isnt in the elite players at the moment. Im sure if Martyn isnt passed fit for the one day series Clarke will come in.
And as far as the test squad goes, Love is still in front of him, so thats why he wasnt picked there.

Eclipse

International Debutant
We still have plenty of good players who would make alot of other test & ODI sides in our FC system problem is they will soon be getting to old as well.

I remember when Hussey, Hodge etc.. were touted as the next big thing's along with many other players and they really have not done anything wrong other than not be selected.

basicly a whole generation of good young players are going to miss out on ever playing for Australia.

We do have an old side and IMO it's not to late to fix the problem that is likley to arise over the next five years when half the team retires basicly we have just got to start blooding the new kids even if they dont get a game imediatly.

It's not like there is not enough young talent but it's going to be hard if they all have to come into the team at once.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
ofcourse clarke will not get picked in front of love for the test series, love was the top runscorer in the 4 dayers this year, Clarke however should be in the ODI squad, young players need to be playing for Australia and he is definatley good enough already, as he has shown in the few ODI's hes already played. and he will be around for the next 15 years (if he stays as long as steve waugh)

the next youngest batsman is Ponting, and hes the only one under 30 years old. this is a problem!!!!!

Simon

i dont see it as a problem at all, the side is still winning, so they deserve to still be there.
Also the A side has been giving it to touring sides for the last couple of years, theres young back up there when we need it.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
broncoman said:
i dont see it as a problem at all, the side is still winning, so they deserve to still be there.
Also the A side has been giving it to touring sides for the last couple of years, theres young back up there when we need it.
Bronco, by that estimation then Mark Waugh should still be there shouldn't he? The side was still winning when he was there........

We are going to get to a situation where Lehmann, Hayden, Langer, Martyn and in the nearer future, Steve Waugh are all going to go in the next 3-5 years.

The selectors have two options IMO. One is what they have done so far, like promoting Darren Lehmann as a 32 year old player trying to establish himself in the test side. The other is to push guys like Michael Clarke in there while there are still experienced and hardened test players around him.

The way we are going right now we are going to face a situation like the mid 80's again in a couple of years.

I don't have a problem with any of the curent players continuing at the moment except for Lehmann. The selectors had a golden oppurtunity to freshen up the side, but this perception of "He's scored a lot of runs in pura cup over the last ten years" and some kind of loyalty within the team structure has seen a player now 33 years of age trying to establish himself, with limited success it has to be said.

Hohns should go as well, he pushes Queensland players too much. Noffke and Hauritz are not as good as their selections imply.
As Sam Kekovich says, "You know it makes sense".

Langeveldt

Soutie
Clarke being a victim of Australias success, he would get in any other team.....

Congrats to the aussie selectors for picking a full strength squad for the Bangladesh rout.... Its going to be carnage, :bird:

Simon

Kenny said:
Bronco, by that estimation then Mark Waugh should still be there shouldn't he? The side was still winning when he was there........

We are going to get to a situation where Lehmann, Hayden, Langer, Martyn and in the nearer future, Steve Waugh are all going to go in the next 3-5 years.

The selectors have two options IMO. One is what they have done so far, like promoting Darren Lehmann as a 32 year old player trying to establish himself in the test side. The other is to push guys like Michael Clarke in there while there are still experienced and hardened test players around him.

The way we are going right now we are going to face a situation like the mid 80's again in a couple of years.

I don't have a problem with any of the curent players continuing at the moment except for Lehmann. The selectors had a golden oppurtunity to freshen up the side, but this perception of "He's scored a lot of runs in pura cup over the last ten years" and some kind of loyalty within the team structure has seen a player now 33 years of age trying to establish himself, with limited success it has to be said.

Hohns should go as well, he pushes Queensland players too much. Noffke and Hauritz are not as good as their selections imply.
As Sam Kekovich says, "You know it makes sense".
I agree Noffke is rubbish, he has no right to be picked above countless other fast bowlers.
But the selectors were looking for a young spinner with potential, Haurtiz fits the bill better than anyone, Hogg has been a revelation, but hogg himself is 33. Australia has a number of good spinners at the moment, but Hauritz will be out best in about 5 or 6 years.
he just needs to cut down his economy a bit and learn how to bowl a bit better on flat tracks.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Australia have been Lucky ( is this the right word?) to have brilliant Players Like Ponting,Waugh,Warne, McGrath all come in at the same time

But i raised the question before? which Youngster are near the test side for Australia only Clarke and Perhaps Braken. So they need to find some moore

Mr Mxyzptlk

chris.hinton said:
Australia have been Lucky ( is this the right word?) to have brilliant Players Like Ponting,Waugh,Warne, McGrath all come in at the same time
They didn't actually come in at the same time though. They were spaced out by a few years.