View Poll Results: Do you support some form of a Test chamionship where the two best teams play?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 58.33%
  • No

5 41.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Test Championship and FTP

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Test Championship and FTP

I know it is being discussed, and I am wondering who is for it. I think it's a great idea, along with other changes to the FTP. It doesn't make sense to play a country in four test matches, then play them again in three months for four more.

They all need to be on a cycle like the Ashes, home and away every x years, it creates excitement, and allows you to build up to the next series.

It seems India and England are against the Test championship, and for good reason - the proposal by Australia has the TV revenues being equally shared, which doesn't make any sense for India or England - the two biggest markets. Other than that, I think the proposal is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

what is ftp? the only ftp i know is file transfer protocol...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

School Boy/Girl Captain
    future tours programme

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I'm for it, rankings don't do it for me, I want a proper championship
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by completeNZer View Post
    future tours programme
    ah...thanks!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    the only ftp i know is file transfer protocol...
    Spot the Indian.

I'd love to see a Champions League style Home and Away even based on the Rankings in which the final would be played on predetermined location

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    If it's based on rankings, I'm not for it, and I really don't see how it could be done otherwise. It would inevitably be out of season (as neither England, Australia nor India can risk losing any of their home Tests during their domestic season), and you might not get the best two teams anyway, resulting in a severe threat of a damp squib of a mismatch.

Better to have the FTP occasionally throw up a 1 v 2 (or 3) series in peak interest times for cricket in a country, which causes the media and the world to recognise it as such, like we've had with the Aussie series this year and we'll have when SA go to India in 2010.

If you'd want a maverick idea, my best effort would be a FIFA-style public draw of the fixtures, perhaps six or eight months in advance, with tours from the last two years taken out of the draw, instead of having them subject to haggling among the boards.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I think the current Test Championship (which isn't a championship and is merely a ratings system) is a waste of time. However, Test cricket has been for at the very least 80 years (since the 1930s) organised the way it is currently, even if the FTP where it's fixed that certain teams must play certain other teams within certain dates is only a very recent phenomena. I don't like the idea of a Test competition which starts and finishes at a finite date and am quite happy with a rolling Championship. All it needs is a nice, simple system, which we had briefly in 2002: two points for a series win, one for a draw, none for a defeat, count only the most recent home and most recent away series between two teams.

Yes, that does lead to some series' which are as good as irrelevant to current events (eg, Sri Lanka vs New Zealand in 2002/03) still being counted. But this is inevitable. Test cricket by nature is cyclical and you're never going to get away from that.

I'm not a fan of the way the FTP has worked-out, ideally all series' would be evenly spaced. That, however, is the ideal - it's just that, unfortunately, it hasn't always worked-out as planned due to the overcrowded nature and the inclusion of international Twenty20, Bangladesh and too many ODIs.

Australia vs South Africa is the exception here and I do like to see them play six Tests, three in each country, in the same season as that's always been the way since readmission. Feels weird to see England and West Indies, and England and New Zealand, doing it though.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

the ftp is rubbish.. the thing has taken like for ever.. and still wont be fully completed to 2012 and what did it prove that only the concept (method) is flawed ie when countries have political or dangerous situations.. ie Sri Lanka Pakistan or Zimbabwe it puts a a halt to its progress and shape.. .. im all for a champions type comp.. but this in itself has to be fair and just.. i think if they want to keep Test cricket alive it has to have real goal .. for countries to aim for not no lame ranking system that no one really understands.. you have to create a comp that normal joe public gonna understand ... and instantly see how their or what their team needs to be win... just like wc in any sports there is pools there is quarters there is simis there is finals.....

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Have you ever made a post that doesn't contain about 10 ...s? Sentences are generally helpful.

no...........

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Have your rankings for 4 years. Then have 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 and then the winners play off against each other.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Eight teams, one host, straightforward knockout, no Bangladesh. Everybody wins.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Even if Bangladesh are in the 8? Harsh.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information