• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Championship and FTP

Do you support some form of a Test chamionship where the two best teams play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Athlai

Not Terrible
pool 1
Aust.
Sri Lanka
WI

pool 2
India
England
NZ

pool 3
RSA
Pakinstan
Bang
**** a 3 match home and away series in those pools would be soooooo gun.
Aust at home W 2
Sri Lanka at home W 2
WI at home is a tricky one.

India at home would beat NZ and maybe England.
England at home would be a good double series.
As would NZ at home.

Saffies at home should win both.
Pakistan should also do relatively well at home.
And Bangers at home have been a handful.

Giving you the better teams as
Australia
India
South Africa
England/Sri Lanka

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just what we need, another set of games in an already massively over-crowded programme. tbh what's the point of it anyway? Either we already know who the best side is, or this sort of thing is meaningless because it can be thrown by too many variables. imho, anyway.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Just have 8 teams in Tier 1.

4 bilateral series per team each year means we'll have one full round of home and away matches in 3.5 years.

The last half of the 4th year could function as the semifinals and finals stage between the top 4 teams based on the rankings of the past round. Semis could be 3 test series, 2 tests at the home of the higher ranked team and 1 test at the home of the lower ranked team. Finals could be 5 a test series with a 3-2 split in hosting between the finalists to crown the World Champion.

Similar structure for the 8 teams in Tier 2.

Bottom ranked team of Tier 1 then plays Top ranked team of Tier 2 to decide promotion/relegation for the next round of 4 years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just what we need, another set of games in an already massively over-crowded programme. tbh what's the point of it anyway? Either we already know who the best side is, or this sort of thing is meaningless because it can be thrown by too many variables. imho, anyway.
Yeah, agreed. Winning it wouldn't make the winners the quote-unquote "best" team; the best team would still be the best team. Does anyone really think Italy are the best football team in the world?

Test cricket doesn't lend itself to neat little tournaments because of its length, which for me is its glory too. A five test series lives and breathes like no other sporting competition I know of.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, agreed. Winning it wouldn't make the winners the quote-unquote "best" team; the best team would still be the best team. Does anyone really think Italy are the best football team in the world?
In a way, yes. Or at least, they were in 2006. IMO, teams that win when it matters are fundamentally better than teams that don't, so winning the world cup overrules all other criteria.

susudear

Banned

Test cricket doesn't lend itself to neat little tournaments because of its length, which for me is its glory too. A five test series lives and breathes like no other sporting competition I know of.
Tour de France. :ph34r:

Indipper

State Regular
How else could an Englishman see the World?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How else could an Englishman see the World?
I don't think I'm overly chauvinistic in my Englishness, certainly not when compared to some of my countrymen.

I genuinely believe Italy were the worst world champions ever. Had the US not had a perfectly good goal disallowed they might even have gone out in the group stages. Their only vaguely meritorious result was beating Germany in the semis and that was only achieved with two goals at the arse-end of extra time.

pskov

International 12th Man
I don't see the point in a test match tournament. It just wouldn't work and wouldn't create exciting cricket imho. A bilateral tours programme similar to the FTP with some type of ranking points system is perfectly fine. The only stipulation I would add is a minimum length of a test series between top 8 sides is three matches and between top 4 sides is four matches.

Indipper

State Regular
I don't think I'm overly chauvinistic in my Englishness, certainly not when compared to some of my countrymen.

I genuinely believe Italy were the worst world champions ever. Had the US not had a perfectly good goal disallowed they might even have gone out in the group stages. Their only vaguely meritorious result was beating Germany in the semis and that was only achieved with two goals at the arse-end of extra time.
Was speculating on the ways Ængelunders deal with defeat, not questioning your manners my good Lord Brumberston. With regards to said World Cup, I only remember that the Neds played like ****e and that after the semifinal I couldn't wear my Italy shirt anymore. Also, when talking about 'worst world champs ever' do you mean by team strength or by World Cup performance?

susudear

Banned
Was speculating on the ways Ængelunders deal with defeat, not questioning your manners my good Lord Brumberston. With regards to said World Cup, I only remember that the Neds played like ****e and that after the semifinal I couldn't wear my Italy shirt anymore. Also, when talking about 'worst world champs ever' do you mean by team strength or by World Cup performance?
Could be Matterizzi I think.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

:ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of both, really. It was no surprise Italia adopted their normal cowardly/defensive (delete according to taste) formation, but usually they have the odd player with something about him. Aside from their centre-half & captain tho, in 2006 their most effective players were Gattuso & Camoranesi, whose job is basically to stop others playing. Luca Toni had come in off a season when he'd scored bagfulls, but his first touch and chance/goal ratio were so woeful one wondered if domestc Italian football had suddenly thrown caution to the wind.

:laugh:

Was thinking more of Scaly, tbh.

Indipper

State Regular
Bit of both, really. It was no surprise Italia adopted their normal cowardly/defensive (delete according to taste) formation, but usually they have the odd player with something about him. Aside from their centre-half & captain tho, in 2006 their most effective players were Gattuso & Camoranesi, whose job is basically to stop others playing. Luca Toni had come in off a season when he'd scored bagfulls, but his first touch and chance/goal ratio were so woeful one wondered if domestc Italian football had suddenly thrown caution to the wind.
I'd have to rewatch those matches again in order to give you a qualified answer and I'm really not up to that in my current football apathy. From memory though, you're selling Pirlo and Gattuso too short.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I struggle to raise any enthusiasm for a Test Cup tournament. Knock-out tournaments are so much the product of chance that (the Football world cup excepted) I don't see them as carrying as much weight as most people do.

Equally I don't have much regard for the existing ICC Test rankings. Where do the various national teams currently stand? Is my country ahead of, say, Pakistan? I don't know and couldn't care less.

There is TOO MUCH TEST CRICKET and it's only made worse by this sort of competition.

Tests should be about a national team touring another country, playing local teams and playing a proper series of, where possible, 5 Tests during which the story of the series can unfold, and the home supporters can develop a knowledge of the touring team. A handful of ODIs as curtain-raisers, and Bob's yer uncle.