• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fate of 2011 World Cup

Keeping in view the recent tension between India and Pakistan, what would be the fate of 2011 world cup which was supposed to be played in subcontinent?

susudear

Banned
Attendance

Just host a tournament in Australia ffs. It's been long enough.
The reason for cancelling the Tri-series was the paucity of crowds for non-Australia matches. Wonder how in this situation they can conduct a multi nation tournament.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By hosting the non-Australian games at smaller grounds that don't often get international cricket. Worked brilliantly in the '92 World Cup in both Australia and NZ.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Imagine WC games would be better attended than tri-series matches anyway? :unsure:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Still doesn't alter the fact that non-Asutralians would like to watch the matches at some earthly hour.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, would be nice.

Although I guess you mean Northern Hemisphere. Watching WC games during the day remains only a figment of my imagination for now.

susudear

Banned
Still doesn't alter the fact that non-Asutralians would like to watch the matches at some earthly hour.
Assuming subcontinent, they can solve it to an extent by scheduling day night matches.

Assuming England, well, they are in a wretched time zone anyway to care for.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Day-nighters in Australia aren't too bad, from memory they are pretty similar to day matches played in India IIRC

I say this because I remember watching us win the CB series and it was light outside, but I may have been up early as my then newborn twins had just come home

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Assuming subcontinent, they can solve it to an extent by scheduling day night matches.

Assuming England, well, they are in a wretched time zone anyway to care for.
Its not the English who are in a wretched time zone, its the Aussies and the Kiwis. England is in the perfect timezone for viewers from the Windies in the West to Bangladesh in the East.

Jakester1288

International Regular
It would be nice to have it staged in Australia, but it's so far away it could still be held on the sub-continent somewhere.

Anything is possible at the moment, but I'm hoping Australia gets it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia really should have got it in the first place. Won't have been a WC here for almost 20 years by the time it rolls around.

But regardless it's way too far off to speculate about.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was rubbish that we were robbed of it any way.
Agree with this, tbh

Anyhow, people are saying it's too soon to think about - but is it? A WC in Australia/NZ would presumably be played around this time of year, two years from now. Given the amount of planning involved in hosting a WC, I'd say it would need to be assessed fairly soon as to whether Asia is going to be able to host the tournament and whether the other teams will want to participate if it does.

Swapping round Asia & Aus would make a lot of sense, as it would give six years for the situation in Pakistan to stabilise.

pup11

International Coach
I think considering the general tension in the sub-continent atm, ICC are much better off holding the WC somewhere else, because you don't want a similar situation like the CT in Pakistan where there was no clarity about the tournament till the last moment and eventually the tournament had to be called off, obviously we would be better off not having a similar situation regarding the WC, so i think the ICC should just bite the bullet and move the tournament somewhere else, because people might think its too early to do that, but you have gotta give the other nation(s) too some time to prepare for the mega-event.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If it was staged in Australia, I wonder how we'd perform? History shows that we struggle at home in World Cups, think it would likely happen again.