• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best India Batsman..

Durham_CCC

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sehwag, Dravid or Tendulkhar.

Majority will probaly go Sachin, but I loved watching Dravid on top form.

masterblaster

International Captain
I don't think India will ever produce another cricketer like Sachin Tendulkar. Had Rahul Dravid been playing in any other era, he would be considered India's greatest batsman quite easily. But Sachin Tendulkar is in a league of his own and should rightly be regarded as India's greatest batsman ever.

FRAZ

International Captain
I don't think India will ever produce another cricketer like Sachin Tendulkar. Had Rahul Dravid been playing in any other era, he would be considered India's greatest batsman quite easily. But Sachin Tendulkar is in a league of his own and should rightly be regarded as India's greatest batsman ever.
Gavaskar for my liking then Dravid and then Sachin and then Mahindra Singh Dhoni .....

Chimpdaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dravid is a little too "technically good" for my liking. He doesn't really like to invent new shots or change it up. He plays every ball on their merits, so he puts bad balls away, and blocks out the good ones.
I prefer Sehwags flashiness. He punishes bad balls, and sometimes good balls as well. Not as rock solid in defence, but a very destructive player when he gets going.
Tendulkar is a once in a life time player. Great player. So if I had to choose:
Tendulkar, Sehwag then Dravid.

-Chimpdaddy-

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In my lifetime: first Azharuddin, then Tendulkar, then Dravid, then

Exact timespans of Azhar to Tendulkar I'd need to take a bit of a closer look at the figures before telling you when it was. Dravid took the mantle from Tendulkar in 2003 and since 2006/07 it's hard to give a conclusive answer. Possibly Tendulkar again; possibly Laxman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At test level, Sehwag is probably the wicket oppositions teams want the most. Whether that makes him currently our best or not, I guess it depends on one's viewpoint.

susudear

Banned
Azhar and Tendulkar

In my lifetime: first Azharuddin, then Tendulkar, then Dravid, then

Exact timespans of Azhar to Tendulkar I'd need to take a bit of a closer look at the figures before telling you when it was. Dravid took the mantle from Tendulkar in 2003 and since 2006/07 it's hard to give a conclusive answer. Possibly Tendulkar again; possibly Laxman.
I will give you the timespan when Azhar was > Tendulkar. It is none.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
laxman, on pure talent alone, tendulkar has been the best, dravid has probably been better, and the fortunes of sehwag really set the team off, but if laxman could have performed consitently throughout his career, and not just against australia, he would waltz it in, the australians reckon in full flight during their period of dominance, they had no idea where to bowl to him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I will give you the timespan when Azhar was > Tendulkar. It is none.
Hmm, I can't help feeling that Azharuddin was better than Tendulkar between 1984 and 1990 TBH. Given that Tendulkar was aged 11 to 17 at that point.

I was born in 1985, remember, much as I'd quite like to have been born in 1990 these days.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
laxman, on pure talent alone, tendulkar has been the best, dravid has probably been better, and the fortunes of sehwag really set the team off, but if laxman could have performed consitently throughout his career, and not just against australia, he would waltz it in, the australians reckon in full flight during their period of dominance, they had no idea where to bowl to him.
Laxman has performed against all opposition all his career from his 281 game onwards, just not quite as well as he's performed against Australia.

susudear

Banned
We don't know for sure

Hmm, I can't help feeling that Azharuddin was better than Tendulkar between 1984 and 1990 TBH. Given that Tendulkar was aged 10 to 16 at that point..
Extrapolating Tendulkar's dominant record back to 1984 would still make him the better batsman imho.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Extrapolating Tendulkar's dominant record back to 1984 would still make him the better batsman imho.
I'm sorry, but there is no way on Earth that Tendulkar was remotely as good, as a 10-year-old, however many schoolboy batting records he was breaking, as Azharuddin was aged whatever Azhar was in 1984.

masterblaster

International Captain
This whole arguement comparing Mohammad Azharuddin to a 10 year old Sachin Tendulkar is somewhat ridiculous.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This whole arguement comparing Mohammad Azharuddin to a 10 year old Sachin Tendulkar is somewhat ridiculous.
Indeed!

As for a time when both were playing, I saw both Azhar and Tendulkar bat a lot in 1990 and would have no hesitation in saying that Azhar was the better player at that stage. This is not particularly controversial - Azhar was one of the best players in the world at this point and Tendulkar was basically still a child.

susudear

Banned
I'm sorry, but there is no way on Earth that Tendulkar was remotely as good, as a 10-year-old, however many schoolboy batting records he was breaking, as Azharuddin was aged whatever Azhar was in 1984.
8-)

Tendulkar was 12 when Azharuddin debuted.

Given that he matured very early relatively as a world class batsman, and peaked atleast 4-5 years before the normal batsman, there is nothing to suggest that had he debuted at that age, he'd be test class, though not averaging in the 50s, certainly in the higher 30s, around 37 to be exact.

(10 to 1 : Warning, 15 to 1 : Thread closed)