• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's ODI squad

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some very big injuries to the Australian team will keep three key players out of our ODI squad. Symonds, Lee & Watson will all be out. So what do you think will be (or should be) our ODI squad?

Personally I think this should be the squad:

Marsh
Hopes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Bracken
Siddle

Hilfenhaus
Tait
North

If Clark is fit he should come in for one of the quicks. Also, Tait may not be fit so someone like Bollinger or Noffke (if he regains fitness) should come in.

There's also a chance Hayden could keep his ODI spot, but I really think it's time for him to give up the colours no matter how awesome he was last year and this year at the ODIs.

inbox24

International Debutant
Hopes is too much of a bits and pieces player for me, can't do a good enough role against quality opposition.

Mister Wright

Hopes is too much of a bits and pieces player for me, can't do a good enough role against quality opposition.
Hasn't really been given a good go at the opening spot, which is where he performs at his best for QLD. Think his bowling is what Australia will need most.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't heard Symonds is out TBH. But otherwise given the injury woes thats the best possible XI Mister Wright. Hopefully the selectors pick it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's hard to believe that Siddle is the best right arm ODI option available.

I think the selectors may go for the Tasmanian's Geeves or Hilfenhaus over Siddle

I'm also finding it hard to find an open to partner Marsh..

1 Shaun Marsh
2 Simon Katich
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Michael Clarke
5 Michael Hussey
6 David Hussey
7 Brad Haddin
8 James Hopes
9 Mitchell Johnson
10 Brett Geeves
11 Nathan Bracken

12 Nathan Hauritz
13 Doug Bollinger
14 Adam Voges
15 Shaun Tait/Ben Hilfenhaus/Peter Siddle.

**Probably a bowler short**

Last edited:

Mister Wright

It's hard to believe that Siddle is the best right arm ODI option available.

I think the selectors may go for the Tasmanian's Geeves or Hilfenhaus over Siddle

I'm also finding it hard to find an open to partner Marsh..

1 Shaun Marsh
2 Simon Katich
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Michael Clarke
5 Michael Hussey
6 David Hussey
7 Brad Haddin
8 James Hopes
9 Mitchell Johnson
10 Brett Geeves
11 Nathan Bracken

12 Nathan Hauritz
13 Doug Bollinger
14 Adam Voges
15 Shaun Tait/Ben Hilfenhaus/Peter Siddle.

**Probably a bowler short**
Hard to find an opener? You've got Hopes in your squad who opens domestically. It's time to give him a go, an extended run at the top and see how he goes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I see Hopes basically as a make-shift opening option. Can't see him being have great success at the top of the order.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hard to find an opener? You've got Hopes in your squad who opens domestically. It's time to give him a go, an extended run at the top and see how he goes.
Yes, hard to find a good opener.

I opted for Katich, he'll be able to help out Marsh.

If Hopes does open, Dave Hussey would have to be dropped IMO with Hauritz in.

Anyone else think that Brad Haddin has the potential to open? The side would be far more balanced with him up the top of the order. I know he doesn't do it for NSW anymore.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes, hard to find a good opener.

I opted for Katich, he'll be able to help out Marsh.

If Hopes does open, Dave Hussey would have to be dropped IMO with Hauritz in.

Anyone else think that Brad Haddin has the potential to open? The side would be far more balanced with him up the top of the order. I know he doesn't do it for NSW anymore.
Think that answers your question.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
****ing Christ no. His scores would be like this:

0, 1, 0, 5, 6, 2, 4, 5, 175*, 3, 12, 0, 0, 1, 0, 7, 4, 9, 11.

He plays too freely outside off stump to be able to play the swinging white ball.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
2 Questions:

(1) Why is Marsh automatically the opener?

(2) Have you not heard of Hughes?
1 - He's not exactly an automatic selection, I just think he deserves to retain his spot at the start of the summer.

2 - Yes, I have.

Flem274*

123/5
2 Questions:

(1) Why is Marsh automatically the opener?

(2) Have you not heard of Hughes?
Didn't Hughes play for the U-19s last year? Do youreally want a teenage opener against SA? Give him a bit of time eh, no need to rush with Marsh, Katich, Hopes and er...Hayden available.

Katich
Marsh
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Hopes
Haddin
Johnson
Bollinger
Siddle
Bracken

pup11

International Coach
My ODI squad would be like this
1.S.Marsh
2.P.Hughes
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Clarke
5.M.Hussey
6.D.Hussey
7.B.Haddin
8.J.Hopes/N.Hauritz (depending on the conditions)
9.M.Johnson
10.N.Bracken
11.B.Hilfenhaus

12.D.Bollinger
13.P.Siddle
14.M.Henriques

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My ODI squad would be like this
1.S.Marsh
2.P.Hughes
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Clarke
5.M.Hussey
6.D.Hussey
7.B.Haddin
8.J.Hopes/N.Hauritz (depending on the conditions)
9.M.Johnson
10.N.Bracken
11.B.Geeves

12.D.Bollinger
13.P.Siddle
14.B.Hilfenhaus
Great team, looks very similar to my side, only Hughes vs Katich the difference.

pup11

International Coach
Why, he's been much better in ODIs than tests in the last couple of years, unless your suggesting they need to rebuild
Yup there is no point of having Hayden around in the limited format of the game as he is clearly not gonna make it to the 2011 WC, so the right way to go would be to groom a bloke in that position, but Hayden had earlier said he wants to go on playing all forms of the game, so won't be too surprised if he is there in the ODI squad.

pup11

International Coach
Great team, looks very similar to my side, only Hughes vs Katich the difference.
But i then realised that Geeves is out with an injury so replaced him with Hilfenhaus, and brought in Henriques, would have also had Tait in there had in not been for his injury woes.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Didn't Hughes play for the U-19s last year? Do youreally want a teenage opener against SA? Give him a bit of time eh, no need to rush with Marsh, Katich, Hopes and er...Hayden available.

He's 20 for starters

Surely if they're good enough, they're old enough?

Yes, he played U19s - but this year he's opened the batting for NSW and scored a mountain of runs at 55 - including 3 centuries.
Then he peels off a cool and unbeaten 80 under pressure to steer home NSW in a 20/20 game.

No doubt Marsh has some skills - but his record is less than a pimple on the backside of Hughes. One day are a great place to blood a youngster on the big stage of international cricket - and if he can open against the white ball, why not against the red?

We've got Hayden struggling to find any runs - even after a hot curry with off milk! A short glimpse to the future sees the name 'Hughes' shining brightly. Why should he wait when his first class record is already shouting so loudly? 4 centuries in his 16 games alongside 9 50s. The kid doesn't miss out on the runs for long - SURELY that's what we want at the top of the order for the next 15 years?

And he fields in the slips too.