• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hauritz vs Krejza

The better option?

• Total voters

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Shakib > Giles
shakib > lots of other spinners, not that i've seen him, but so far his 7 for and runs isn't a one off, and from all reports he's a talent, and very unbangladesh like in that he seems to be performing consistently and not being erratic and wasteful (see ashraful).

at his age its almost worth offering him a fat CA contract and letting him wait out the four year qualification period.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think that while Clark is out of the side, that Hauritz fits into the side better. He helps create some pressure, and didn't do too bad a job in Melbourne. Krezja is worth the risk when the other three bowlers are settled and bowling well. But until that occurs, Hauritz is the "safer" option, and I have no problem with him playing.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
me neither, he doesn't get the credit he deserves, in fact neither does krejza, there's a lot of 'but look at his first class record, it sucks' going around, but really the selection wasn't that bad, the selection of cameron white and the treatment of casson on the other hand..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interestingly enough so did Adam Sanford. And I dont think that Hauritz career is going to go any differently.
Wasnt it you that rated Haurritz as the worst ever test spin bowler (or words to that effect)?

Unfortunately for you, he has proven himself to be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than that and is a more than capable international class bowler

People get caught up in stats generated by playing on places like the Gabba (Murali would be lucky to average under 40 in Oz fc cricket playing there) and dont bother actually watching the guy bowl

pup11

International Coach
I think that while Clark is out of the side, that Hauritz fits into the side better. He helps create some pressure, and didn't do too bad a job in Melbourne. Krezja is worth the risk when the other three bowlers are settled and bowling well. But until that occurs, Hauritz is the "safer" option, and I have no problem with him playing.
Krejza is only worth the risk on rough dry surfaces that are likely to crumcble and offer him some bite and grip, because otherwise he just ends up being a guy who tosses the ball up to the batsman asking to be hit.

I think this is something that is pretty clear if one looks at how Krezja went for runs at Nagpur and then at Perth, at Nagpur due to the nature of the pitch he was getting massive turn and was making it very hard for the batsmen to play him from the crease, but the Indian batsmen were good enough to use their feet against him to score runs and still whenever they tried to play him from the crease they paid the price, but at Perth he wasn't getting the same purchase which made it easy for the South African batsmen to just work him into the on-side either of the back or front foot without having to take much risk, because to be effective on receptive pitches Krejza doesn't have any other variation other than his stock ball to mix things up.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nathan Hauritz by far (I'm a huge Hauritz fan). Quite simply Krejza is a liability anywhere other than the SC. I like both of them and I see no problem in them both playing when we go to the SC but for the next year I'd like Hauritz to be given an extended run in the side.

Have a look at Hauritz's average ;) 25.92.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Wasnt it you that rated Haurritz as the worst ever test spin bowler (or words to that effect)?

Unfortunately for you, he has proven himself to be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than that and is a more than capable international class bowler

People get caught up in stats generated by playing on places like the Gabba (Murali would be lucky to average under 40 in Oz fc cricket playing there) and dont bother actually watching the guy bowl
unfortunately for murali he bowled a bit negatively last time in australia, and the australians played him well, particularly clarke, we may never see the best of murali in australia.

Krejza is only worth the risk on rough dry surfaces that are likely to crumcble and offer him some bite and grip, because otherwise he just ends up being a guy who tosses the ball up to the batsman asking to be hit.

I think this is something that is pretty clear if one looks at how Krezja went for runs at Nagpur and then at Perth, at Nagpur due to the nature of the pitch he was getting massive turn and was making it very hard for the batsmen to play him from the crease, but the Indian batsmen were good enough to use their feet against him to score runs and still whenever they tried to play him from the crease they paid the price, but at Perth he wasn't getting the same purchase which made it easy for the South African batsmen to just work him into the on-side either of the back or front foot without having to take much risk, because to be effective on receptive pitches Krejza doesn't have any other variation other than his stock ball to mix things up.
krejza is much like a mo matthews in that he tries to take a wicket every ball, note that matthews also did well in india. krejza i feel bowled well in perth but the south africans played him well combined with a little bit of ill luck he went wicketless on the last day.

i don't agree that he needs anything other than his stock ball to succeed, finger spinners from years gone by get wickets from far more sublte variations of flight, speed and width of spin, although an arm ball wouldn't hurt. where he falls down is his inability to hold the batsmen for any length of time to help out the bloke at the other end, but that happens when you're being so agressive sometimes

Nope

Haurritz is more accurate than Panesar whilst Krezja would be every bit as effective on a turner
panesar has been killed by one day cricket apparently, i think he's quite accurate, but he's become flatter, and not having had much of a run up to the recent india series led to him losing his optimum length, it would be fair to say that hauritz is probably bowling better at the moment. as much as i rate all 3 of them, none of them seem to be able to bowl those unplayable balls that harbhajan bowls, as far as comparing fairly like finger spinners goes (murali isn't really comparable)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Hauritz is extremely poor, always has been, and if he plays a decent number of Tests bowling like this will eventually see his average balloon up toward the 50 mark, no doubts about that. Whether those two things (bowling the same; playing a decent number of matches) will happen is moot, of course, and as has already been said you could wish to see bowlers (like Krejza) who'd mostly do a worse job in Tests in Australia and most other places so Hauritz's selection right now isn't diabolical.

But there is absolutely no way Hauritz is remotely close to being an international-standard bowler and nor is he ever remotely likely to be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
EDIT: is their any other spinners in state cricket who have not been mentioned ? And could possibly be the answer to Warne/McGill
If there is anyone likely to be the next Warne (or even MacGill) they'd be doing something of note somewhere. And they aren't.

Warnes are once-in-several-generation bowlers and there's not likely to be another any time soon. If Australia insist on a spinner, Hauritz is as good an option as any currently, but it'll very likely be a long, long time before they have another Warne and very probably quite a while before another MacGill-esque wristspinner (and that's really not that good) appears either.

howardj

International Coach
I like both Krejza and Hauritz, Krejza is obviously the more attacking spinner gets good number of revs on the ball and tosses the ball up nicely, but sadly enough the hardness of Aussie tracks won't assist his bowling much, but on sub-continental tracks, or even in England he can prove to be a very attacking option.

Hauritz is the best suited spinner for Australia atm, given MacGain ain't fit, Hauritz mixes caution with aggression very well, even in the MCG test he bowled tightly for most of the time and every now and again tossed the ball to entice the batsmen into a false shot, that's where i think Krejza is a bit behind Hauritz atm, as unlike Krejza he mixes up deliveries quite well, so would stick with Hauritz at this point of time.

Very much agree with that.

With an offspinner, all you want is what Hauritz did in the 1st innings against South Africa (i.e. keep it tight and pick up the odd crucial wicket). With Krejza's big haul in India, let's not forget that even someone like Clarke bagged a heap of wickets on that pitch four years earlier. I'd like to see Krejza pick up some wickets and keep it tight on less helpful tracks back here in the Weet Bix Cup competition. That said, I do like the revs he puts on the ball; though there is far more to being a spinner than that.

tooextracool

International Coach

Indeed, and that statement is no longer valid. Im convinced that there is a spinner worse than Hauritz and that only happened after I watched Cameron White bowl.
As far as Hauritz is concerned, I have watched him bowl, and he is still pretty atrocious. If he plays more than a handful of test matches, Id expect his average to go all the way above 50.