• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting Vs. Sachin Tendulkar - As Captains

Who is the better Captain, Tendulkar or Ponting ?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well remembering the match. Australia's pace trio was equally as dangerous as India's spinners. That was one weird pitch.
I would like you to tell us the performance of Aussie pace trio in the second inning .

Ponting was always in his rights to back his seamers to fold IND in the second innings.
On a spinning track like the one in Mumbai, it makes sense to at least try all your spinners when the other team's spinners are creating havoc.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
exactly, its like saying allan border won the frank worrell trophy in '95 after he just retired
What?. Border retired in what, march/april 04.

Taylor had a full year to lead the side & developed his own Aura over the Australian side which was different to the way Border lead.

Unlike 04 tour to India , Taylor had no significant plan of how they would have would defeat the WI. They just went with the belief that they had a good side & they could defeat the windies. Very similar to how Border went into the 90/91 tour as well.

Plus it can be argued that although Australia won in WI 95, they really secured their position as the world's best ATT, in the return series in 96/97.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I would like you to tell us the performance of Aussie pace trio in the second inning.
Yes they weren't as destructive as in the first innings. But India's batting improved slightly in the second innings. Especially that partnership with Laxman/Tendy.

But i doesn't disqualify the fact that the Mumbai pitch back then had equal major assistance for both the quicks & the spinners. That was even the case back in 01 as well.

On a spinning track like the one in Mumbai, it makes sense to at least try all your spinners when the other team's spinners are creating havoc.
Yea but thats the thing. Clarke & probably Katich where really "part-timers". Ponting going to them was always going to be a last resort. It would have been like if Dravid bowled Sehwag, totally a last resort, ya digg..

He obviously knew the spinners where getting big turn because he opened the bowling with Hauritz if i remember right, so Ponting was right on his game. No captaincy blunder.