Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Team Draft - ODI edition

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I think you have 60 seconds before it registers as an edit, someone might want to confirm that though.
    2-5 mins I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Weldone has had 12 hours.

I chose Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua.

Pretty sure Viv will dominate here, so to will his fellow West Indians and all my team really.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

1 ozone -
    2 NUFAN - Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua.
    3 Weldone -
    4 pskov - The Oval, London.
    5 Simon - Manuka Oval, Canberra
    6 G.I.Joe - Chinnaswamy, Bangalore
    7 Matt79 - MCG, Melbourne
    8 Goughy - SuperSport Park, Centurion
    9 GeraintIsMyHero - Lords, London
    10 Jamee999 - Grace Road, Leicester
    11 Dazza_20 - R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
    12 HeathDavisSpeed - Pukekura Park, New Plymouth, Taranaki
    13 Nnanden -
    14 pup11 -

Everyone who hasn't picked can pick.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Adelaide Oval, Adelaide.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Adelaide Oval, Adelaide.
    Damn i wanted that one....

Anyways, its SCG, Sydney for me then.

Bourda, Georgetown, Guyana, West Indies

All of Haynes, Ambrose, Bishop and Walsh has had great performances here. My pace bowling attack will enjoy home conditions, and they will love to play in front of home crowd. All others will also play well.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Old Trafford, Manchester
    There's only one Dimitri Mascarenhas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's surely a piss take that in the country who gave us Robert Nesta Marley, King Tubby & Jimmy Cliff that we're tortured with Chumba-fuggin'-Wamba between overs?

Grounds
    1 ozone - Old Trafford, Manchester
    2 NUFAN - Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua.
    3 Weldone - Bourda, Georgetown, Guyana.
    4 pskov - The Oval, London.
    5 Simon - Manuka Oval, Canberra
    6 G.I.Joe - Chinnaswamy, Bangalore
    7 Matt79 - MCG, Melbourne
    8 Goughy - SuperSport Park, Centurion
    9 GeraintIsMyHero - Lords, London
    10 Jamee999 - Grace Road, Leicester
    11 Dazza_20 - R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
    12 HeathDavisSpeed - Pukekura Park, New Plymouth, Taranaki
    13 Nnanden - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide.
    14 pup11 - SCG, Sydney

Okay so all the teams and grounds are set, hoping my players are good at beach cricket by the way..

Should we get a seperate thread and does anyone want to bother writing about their teams?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I'm quite happy to do a piece on my side. Want to make a maximum for it so we don't get uneven, long-winded drivel?

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Should we get a seperate thread and does anyone want to bother writing about their teams?
    Will just quote this, to be honest:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Ok, finally in front of a proper computer, so if I haven't bored everyone enough with the wherefore and how-comes of my team, here we go.

Full team:
    Justin Langer (160 runs @ 32, SR 88.88) (List A, 7603 runs @ 38.79)
    Adam Gilchrist+ (9619 runs @ 35.89, S/R: 96.94)
    Brad Hodge (575 runs @ 30.26, S/R 87.51) (List A, 7586 runs @ 41.22, inc. 21 centuries)
    Allan Lamb (4010 runs @ 39.31, SR 75.54 - in 1980s, eqv. to higher with modern bat, boundary ropes I'd hope)
    Steve Waugh* (7569 runs @ 32.9, SR 75.91. 195 wickets @ 34.67. S/R 45.5, ER: 4.56)
    Scott Styris (3715 runs @ 32.56, SR 78.89. 122 wickets @ 34.49, SR 43.5, ER 4.75)
    Kapil Dev (3783 runs @ 23.79, SR 95.07. 253 wickets @ 27.45, SR 44.1, ER 3.71)
    Brad Hogg (790 runs @ 20.25, SR 78.68. 156 wickets @ 26.84, SR 35.6, ER 4.51)
    Tony Gray (44 wickets @ 18.97. SR 28.8, ER 3.94) (List A, 128 wickets @ 23.06, SR 34.8, ER 3.96)
    Shane Bond (125 wickets @ 19.32, SR 27.5, ER 4.2)
    Shaun Tait (38 wickets @ 25.28, SR 28.4, ER 5.33) (List A, 139 wickets @ 22.17, SR 26.9, ER 4.93)

My team doesn't have the dazzling middle orders of some other teams. However in Waugh, Lamb, Styris, Langer and Hodge, it has a core of tough, professional, guys who reliably do the job of batting in partnerships and keeping the scoring going at near 5 an over. I've got two of the alltime greatest master-blasting allrounders at either end of my line-up in Gilchrist and Kapil Dev, who both had long careers scoring at strike rates above 90. They provide the X-factor that transforms my solid base from that core middle order into a winning score. Kapil will float in the batting line up dependent on the circumstance of the game. I'm confident that line up should be able to consistently deliver scores of 250-300.

My bowling is hopefully my team's stronger suit. I tried to avoid any straight out containment bowlers - I think taking wickets and knocking teams over is the best way to contain their scoring. And as guys who were both tight and dangerous quickly became scarce, I've gone for at least one risky proposition to pursue that line of thought.

Shane Bond is one of the best ever ODI bowlers, he's tight, he's fast, and he takes wickets with a strike rate in the 20s. Brad Hogg is a brillant ODI spinner, who strikes in the 30s, and can be relied to rattle off 10 overs in a row being quite economical and probably taking a wicket or two. Kapil Dev was a very solid ODI bowler and was both economical and a wicket taking option. Tony Gray was one of the many great West Indian bowlers in their heyday, and whenever he got a chance he also showed he could produce his long term excellent List A form in ODIs, also striking in the 20s, while being quite economical.

Tait is the great gamble in my bowling attack. In his career to date he's had a strike rate in the 20s, and has repeatedly torn the head off batting line ups. He regularly produces unplayable deliveries that dislodge the best batsmen. The flipside is that he's expensive and when he has a bad day, its a shocker. My strategy to manage this would be that he bowls short spells, a la WC2007, and if he hasn't met with success after 3-4 overs, he takes a shower for the day and my much more steady, albeit less dangerous, 6th and 7th bowlers, Steve Waugh and Scott Styris bowl out his overs. I opted for Styris to provide a 7th option in recognition that Tait, if he doesn't provide a match-winning shift in momentum for me early in the innings or coming back near the end, might be a problem. This redundancy means I'm comfortable I can cope if Tait has a bad day. On the up side, if Tait and Bond fire together, followed by Hogg bowling to batsmen fresh to the crease and under scoring pressure, I'll regularly bowl teams out within 40 overs.

Steve Waugh is my captain, and he'll perfectly embody the tough, never-say-die, attitude I hope my team has.

I agree with the point that you can't pick guys on List A records, but in the case of some of my guys who I think did show that they could succeed well at ODI level, but have limited records, I've included their List A records to show that they do/did possess a consistency of performance as well.
    Last edited by Matt79; 13-02-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    I'm quite happy to do a piece on my side. Want to make a maximum for it so we don't get uneven, long-winded drivel?
    It's your call, you can do it however long as you like, but I think too much more then Matt's and it'll get a bit boring.

Very diplomatic there nufan I'm feeling more awake tonight than I was when I wrote that, so I might even go back through and edit it to try to shorten it a bit for ease of reading..

Excellent, will do it now.

Nice one, does anyone mind if I change my ground?

I seriously don't want this current fiasco to impact my side and I doubt anyone after me was that gutted that I chose the ground I did.

Sabina Park, Jamaica would be better for me.

Haha, sounds fair. The matches would need to go ahead, after all.

Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread Information