• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Team Draft - ODI edition

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bourda, Georgetown, Guyana, West Indies

All of Haynes, Ambrose, Bishop and Walsh has had great performances here. My pace bowling attack will enjoy home conditions, and they will love to play in front of home crowd. All others will also play well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Grounds
1 ozone - Old Trafford, Manchester
2 NUFAN - Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua.
3 Weldone - Bourda, Georgetown, Guyana.
4 pskov - The Oval, London.
5 Simon - Manuka Oval, Canberra
6 G.I.Joe - Chinnaswamy, Bangalore
7 Matt79 - MCG, Melbourne
8 Goughy - SuperSport Park, Centurion
9 GeraintIsMyHero - Lords, London
10 Jamee999 - Grace Road, Leicester
11 Dazza_20 - R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
12 HeathDavisSpeed - Pukekura Park, New Plymouth, Taranaki
13 Nnanden - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide.
14 pup11 - SCG, Sydney

Okay so all the teams and grounds are set, hoping my players are good at beach cricket by the way..

Should we get a seperate thread and does anyone want to bother writing about their teams?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I'm quite happy to do a piece on my side. Want to make a maximum for it so we don't get uneven, long-winded drivel?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Should we get a seperate thread and does anyone want to bother writing about their teams?
Will just quote this, to be honest:

Ok, finally in front of a proper computer, so if I haven't bored everyone enough with the wherefore and how-comes of my team, here we go.

Full team:
Justin Langer (160 runs @ 32, SR 88.88) (List A, 7603 runs @ 38.79)
Adam Gilchrist+ (9619 runs @ 35.89, S/R: 96.94)
Brad Hodge (575 runs @ 30.26, S/R 87.51) (List A, 7586 runs @ 41.22, inc. 21 centuries)
Allan Lamb (4010 runs @ 39.31, SR 75.54 - in 1980s, eqv. to higher with modern bat, boundary ropes I'd hope)
Steve Waugh* (7569 runs @ 32.9, SR 75.91. 195 wickets @ 34.67. S/R 45.5, ER: 4.56)
Scott Styris (3715 runs @ 32.56, SR 78.89. 122 wickets @ 34.49, SR 43.5, ER 4.75)
Kapil Dev (3783 runs @ 23.79, SR 95.07. 253 wickets @ 27.45, SR 44.1, ER 3.71)
Brad Hogg (790 runs @ 20.25, SR 78.68. 156 wickets @ 26.84, SR 35.6, ER 4.51)
Tony Gray (44 wickets @ 18.97. SR 28.8, ER 3.94) (List A, 128 wickets @ 23.06, SR 34.8, ER 3.96)
Shane Bond (125 wickets @ 19.32, SR 27.5, ER 4.2)
Shaun Tait (38 wickets @ 25.28, SR 28.4, ER 5.33) (List A, 139 wickets @ 22.17, SR 26.9, ER 4.93)

My team doesn't have the dazzling middle orders of some other teams. However in Waugh, Lamb, Styris, Langer and Hodge, it has a core of tough, professional, guys who reliably do the job of batting in partnerships and keeping the scoring going at near 5 an over. I've got two of the alltime greatest master-blasting allrounders at either end of my line-up in Gilchrist and Kapil Dev, who both had long careers scoring at strike rates above 90. They provide the X-factor that transforms my solid base from that core middle order into a winning score. Kapil will float in the batting line up dependent on the circumstance of the game. I'm confident that line up should be able to consistently deliver scores of 250-300.

My bowling is hopefully my team's stronger suit. I tried to avoid any straight out containment bowlers - I think taking wickets and knocking teams over is the best way to contain their scoring. And as guys who were both tight and dangerous quickly became scarce, I've gone for at least one risky proposition to pursue that line of thought.

Shane Bond is one of the best ever ODI bowlers, he's tight, he's fast, and he takes wickets with a strike rate in the 20s. Brad Hogg is a brillant ODI spinner, who strikes in the 30s, and can be relied to rattle off 10 overs in a row being quite economical and probably taking a wicket or two. Kapil Dev was a very solid ODI bowler and was both economical and a wicket taking option. Tony Gray was one of the many great West Indian bowlers in their heyday, and whenever he got a chance he also showed he could produce his long term excellent List A form in ODIs, also striking in the 20s, while being quite economical.

Tait is the great gamble in my bowling attack. In his career to date he's had a strike rate in the 20s, and has repeatedly torn the head off batting line ups. He regularly produces unplayable deliveries that dislodge the best batsmen. The flipside is that he's expensive and when he has a bad day, its a shocker. My strategy to manage this would be that he bowls short spells, a la WC2007, and if he hasn't met with success after 3-4 overs, he takes a shower for the day and my much more steady, albeit less dangerous, 6th and 7th bowlers, Steve Waugh and Scott Styris bowl out his overs. I opted for Styris to provide a 7th option in recognition that Tait, if he doesn't provide a match-winning shift in momentum for me early in the innings or coming back near the end, might be a problem. This redundancy means I'm comfortable I can cope if Tait has a bad day. On the up side, if Tait and Bond fire together, followed by Hogg bowling to batsmen fresh to the crease and under scoring pressure, I'll regularly bowl teams out within 40 overs.

Steve Waugh is my captain, and he'll perfectly embody the tough, never-say-die, attitude I hope my team has.

I agree with the point that you can't pick guys on List A records, but in the case of some of my guys who I think did show that they could succeed well at ODI level, but have limited records, I've included their List A records to show that they do/did possess a consistency of performance as well.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm quite happy to do a piece on my side. Want to make a maximum for it so we don't get uneven, long-winded drivel?
It's your call, you can do it however long as you like, but I think too much more then Matt's and it'll get a bit boring.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Very diplomatic there nufan ;) I'm feeling more awake tonight than I was when I wrote that, so I might even go back through and edit it to try to shorten it a bit for ease of reading..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nice one, does anyone mind if I change my ground?

I seriously don't want this current fiasco to impact my side and I doubt anyone after me was that gutted that I chose the ground I did.

Sabina Park, Jamaica would be better for me.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
1) Shivnarine Chanderpaul (capt) - 7858 runs @ 41.14, S/R @ 70.96
2) Matthew Hayden - 6133 runs @ 43.80, S/R @ 78.96
3) Shakib Al Hasan - 1559 runs @ 33.31, S/R @ 70.34, 68 wickets @ 30.05, Econ @ 4.02
4) Jacques Kallis - 10057 runs @ 45.30, S/R @ 71.71, 246 wickets @ 31.72
5) Mohammad Yousuf - 9242 runs @ 43.18, S/R @ 75.34
6) Jonty Rhodes - 5935 runs @ 35.11, S/R @ 80.90
7) Andrew Flintoff - 3391 runs @ 32.60, S/R @ 89.02, 163 wickets @ 24.69, Econ @ 4.38
8) Rodney Marsh (wk) - 1225 runs @ 20.08, S/R @ 82.26, 124 dismissals
9) Umar Gul - 83 wickets @ 25.24, S/R @ 30.7
10) Nathan Bracken - 153 wickets @ 22.60
11) Ajantha Mendis - 61 wickets @ 12.01, S/R @ 19.0

12) Allan Border - 6524 runs @ 30.62, S/R @ 71.42, 73 wickets @ 28.36

Adelaide Oval, South Australia, Australia

First up I have to say, I really couldn't be happier with my side. I thought about this a huge amount and made sure I could find no holes in my tactics, all the way down to the ground chosen.

I chose Adelaide, as I believe it's the ultimate cricketer's ground - that it demands skill and that lesser cricketers fall away and are found out very quickly. It is a ground where bowlers with a lot of pace or spinners with a lot of turn can do nothing without a smart cricketing brain, accuracy and skill. Likewise with the high quality of bowling on display from opposition bowlers, I have chosen the most superb techniqued, intelligent and proven cricketers. I honestly do not see another side selected that could be at all dominant against mine at this ground.

I believe in the strength of the modern ODI player - better fitness, better coaching, more knowledge, etc. This particularly imo refers to bowlers. There can be no doubt that the bowlers of today have it extremely tough - powerplays, small boundaries, better bats, etc. Which is why my bowling line-up has a distinctly modern flavour. Nathan Bracken would open with Umar Gul, Andrew Flintoff at first change, Ajantha Mendis alongside Jacques Kallis and Shakib Al-Hasan in the middle and then Bracken, Gul and perhaps Flintoff at the death.

Bracken is simply one of the best ODI Bowlers the game of Cricket has ever seen. Always chosen by his captain to perform the most difficult of tasks, whether that be an early breakthrough, being brought on to get a wicket or bowling at the death, he almost always succeeds. Adding to that Gul's amazing skill with the ball - particularly at the death - and getting the ball away would be so, so difficult.

Flintoff is just sublime. He is such a big game player and rarely gets taken for runs. With a great average and thirst to prove himself, he is someone you want in your side and know will provide his best and something special. Mendis. Oh Mendis. What a cricketer. There is little doubt in my mind that the older style batsmen in the game would be pretty clueless against him and we all know his amazing record against modern day sides. He is a crucial part of the side.

The crucial, crucial fifth bowler role is shared fantastically by Kallis and Shakib. What a duo for such a role. In the middle overs, there will be no relief here, with testing line and length, movement and quick overs.

I love the depth and talent of my batting. Hayden and Chanderpaul opening is unbelievably formidable. With two of the best averages in the history of ODI Cricket, their records stand for themselves. While Hayden provides aggression and dominance, Chanderpaul is sturdy and unmoving. A great start here is almost guaruanteed.

Shakib, Kallis and Yousuf are three admired and respected players. Shakib again is a big game player, with style and flair and a great talent to either holdfast or up the run-rate, I like him at three. And then we have Kallis and Yousuf. Two delightful accumulators that just churn out the runs in the middle overs. If Chanderpaul/Hayden is great, Kallis/Yousuf is sublime. It just does not seem possible to get through this batting line-up without conceeding so many runs.

Relegated to positions six and seven are Rhodes and Flintoff. Both averaging mid-thirties with top strike-rates, they are ideal finishers. While Rhodes could find ones, twos and fours with unnerving ease at the end of ODIs, Flintoff often didn't bother with that and went for maximums with success. I would love to see these two finishing off an innings and would not be one to bowl at them.

Due to the batting prowess of the side, cruely, Marsh is all the way down at eight. A top finisher in his own right, Marsh is such a fine wicket-keeper, behind the stumps to some of the greatest bowling of the time. Our bowlers couldn't ask for someone safer behind the stumps.

The great man, Allan Border, is kept out of the side, and I don't really know why. :p He played over 200 ODIs, bowled handy spin and would be an amazing fill-in if someone got injured. He would also surely be of great value to the side with his brains and experience.

A final shout out must go to our fielding. Rhodes, the all-time fielding great, saves so many runs all by himself. Shakib and Hayden are fantastic and the rest more than hold their own, safe as houses.

I really enjoyed this draft and the delight of picking this side. It is an all-round strong side, with such strong batting, quality, smart pace and spin bowling and proven players. I couldn't be happier with the intelligence, experience and sheer quality of this side. I am delighted and honoured for those names to represent me, even just on a Cricket Forum. :)

ozone

First Class Debutant
Gordon Greenidge - 5134 runs @ 45.03 SR 64.92
Sachin Tendulkar - 16440 runs @ 43.95 SR 85.39, 154 wickets @ 44.19 SR 52.0 Econ 5.09
Martin Crowe - 4704 runs @ 38.55 SR 72.63, 29 wickets @ 32.89 SR 44.6 Econ 4.41
Marvan Atapattu - 8529 runs @ 37.57 SR 67.72
Paul Collingwood - 3773 runs @ 34.30 SR 76.19, 84 wickets @ 38.95 SR 46.5 Econ 5.02
Craig McMillan - 4707 runs @ 29.18 SR 75.94, 49 wickets @ 35.04 SR 38.3 Econ 5.48
Brendon McCullum - 2837 runs @ 28.08 SR 89.29, 163 catches and 13 stumpings
Malcolm Marshall - 157 wickets @ 26.96 SR 45.7 Econ 3.53
Javagal Srinath - 315 wickets @ 28.08 SR 37.8 Econ 4.44
Saqlain Mushtaq - 288 wickets @ 21.78 SR 30.4 Econ 4.29
Patrick Patterson - 90 wickets @ 24.51 SR 33.8 Econ 4.33

Andy Bichel - 471 runs @ 20.47 SR 78.5, 78 wickets @ 31.57 SR 31.7 Econ 4.53

By no means a team of superstars, but certainly one of the more solid sides selected. My team has no real weak links, with all of the players selected appearing in at least 50 ODIs.

One of the obvious strengths of the side lies with the openers, a partnership which combines one of the most destructive opening batsmen of all time with the most prolific run scorer in the history of the game. Gordon Greenidge and Sachin Tendulkar will provide explosive partnerships, and when in full flow, could go a long way to winning a game before the end of the first innings.

The middle order sees three solid performers join two hard-hitting New Zealanders, all of whom capable of producing match-winning performances. Martin Crowe, carrier of New Zealand's batting throughout the 1980s, should be able to show his full array of shots in a position where some of this pressure is lifted. Possibly a controversial choice as captain, Marvin Atapattu would be a shrewd leader in the field and capable of changing the game with the bat. And in Paul Collingwood, the side have a versatile batsman at number 5, with the ability to re-build an innings in the worst case scenario or to finish it off when the top order have done the job, and as a bonus, gain the best fielder in world cricket. Craig McMillan and Brendon McCullum provide the potential x-factor in the middle order batting, with McCullum imparticular able to shift up and down the order depending on the situation.

The fast bowling attack consists of two of the quickest, and most dangerous bowlers of the late 1980s/early 1990s. As a part of the batch of West Indian quick bowlers, Patrick Patterson was fast and deadly, and has the ability to swing a game in the blink of an eye. He accompanies a man who needs no introduction, Malcolm Marshall, a man whose stats don't reflect how good a player he was. Economy rates of 4.29 and 3.53 should ensure that there are few sides allowed to get away in the opening overs. Javagal Srinath, arguably the fastest bowler produced by India until the 2000s, is a player who can ably back the openers up, and will also provide an effective death bowling option.

The final jewel in the crown of my side is Saqlain Mushtaq, the first bowler to properly master the doosra, and possibly the most controlled one day bowler of all time. His economy may not seem spectacular, but for a spinner who bowled at the death, 4.29 is a very good effort. The fifth bowler role will be filled mainly by Tendulkar and Collingwood, the former a very underated bowler who was, at his peak, more than useful.

The squad is rounded out by Andy Bichel, a man who unbelievably only played 67 ODIs despite his obvious all-round ability and potential. When needed, he could come in to provide a more reliable fifth bowling option, or simply as a way to lengthen the batting line-up.

As far as grounds go, I felt I wanted a well balanced pitch with something in it for everybody and therfore decided that Old Trafford was as good a ground as any left for this.

As with others, I immensley enjoyed picking my side, and am pleased with the final result. Although not the side with the most super-stars, I feel it does have more than enough strength to sweep aside many of the other teams selected.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit, but I tried to keep it shortish. Is anybody setting up a SIM?

Dazza_20

Cricket Spectator
Sanath Jayasuriya - 13151 runs @ 32.71 SR 91.13, 313 Wickets @ 36.75 Econ 4.76
Navjot Sidhu - 4413 runs @ 37.08 SR 69.72
Ricky Ponting - 11365 runs @ 42.72 SR 80.46
Inzamam Ul-Haq - 11739 runs @ 39.52 SR 74.24
Ramneresh Sarwan 4594 runs @ 44.17 SR 76.63
Andy Flower 6786 runs @ 35.34 SR 74.59, 141 Catches & 32 Stumpings
Abdul Razzaq 4465 runs @ 29.96 SR 79.96, 246 Wickets @ 31.13 SR 39.8
Daniel Vettori 239 wickets @ 32.26 Econ 4.16
Chaminda Vaas 400 wickets @ 27.53 Econ 4.18 SR 39.4
Ajit Agarkar 288 wickets @ 27.85 SR 32.9
Makhaya Ntini 265 wickets @ 24.31 Econ 4.49 SR 32.4

Harbajhan Singh 202 wickets @ 32.97 Econ 4.19

R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo

Very happy with the side i was able to form in the end. Has a good mix throughout and is very experienced.

My openers compliment eachother very well. Jayasuriya is one of the true master blasters in the shortened form of the game. His 313 wickets confirms him as one of the best ODI cricketers in history. Sidhu will provide a great foil at the other end for the attacking Jayasuriya. Able to nudge 1's and 2's and hitting the odd 4.

At numbers 3 and 4 are the experienced pair of Ponting and Ul-haq. Noth of whom have scored over 10,000 ODI runs and will be ideal to keep the momentum going created by the openers.

In next comes one of the best ODI batsmen in the world currently in Sarwan. He has an outstanding average and will be ideal in the middle overs to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

At 6 and 7 are my wicket keeper and genuine allrounder. Flower is the most gifted cricketer produced by Zimbabwe and has an excellent record with both bat and gloves. Razzaq can hit the cricket ball has hard as anyone and will be vital in increasing the run-rate in the final overs. His impressive record with the ball makes him a very suitable 5th bowling option.

The spinner in the side Vettori bowls with excellent control and possesses a excellent economy rate needed in the middle overs. With 239 wickets he is also a wicket taker and is a more than competant batsmen.

All 3 fast bowlers Vaas,Ntini and Agarkar have well over 200 wickets, in Vaas' case 400. The 3 of them are all clearly different bowlers and provide alot of variety.

12th man Singh will most definately come into play on spinning tracks and will be used heavily at my home ground.

All in all, i was very pleased to get 3 batsmen with over 10,000 runs into my side. I also managed to 7 bowlers with over 200 wickets, which should make it alot easier to bowl teams out.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1 Nick Knight (100 ODIs - 3637 runs @ 40.41 sr 71.52)
2 Neil Johnson (48 ODIs - 1679 runs @ 36.50 sr 70.2 & 35 wickets @ 34.85)
3 Robin Smith (71 ODIs - 2419 runs @ 39.01 sr 69.65)
4 Mark Waugh (244 ODIs - 8500 runs @ 39.35 sr 76.9 & 85 wickets @ 34.56)
5 Nathan Astle (223 ODIs - 7090 runs @ 34.92 sr 72.64 & 99 wickets @ 38.47)
6 Roger Twose (87 ODIs - 2717 runs @ 38.81 sr 75.4 & 4 wickets @ 58.75)
7 Imran Khan* (175 ODIs - 3709 runs @ 33.41 sr 72.65 & 182 wickets @ 26.61)
8 Moin Khan+ (219 ODIs - 3266 runs @ 23.00 sr 81.30 - 287 dismissals)
9 Wasim Akram (356 ODIs - 3717 runs @ 16.52 sr 88.33 & 502 wickets @ 23.52)
10 Shane Warne (194 ODIs - 1018 runs @ 13.05 sr 72.04 & 293 wickets @ 25.73)
11 Darren Gough (159 ODIs - 609 runs @ 12.42 sr 64.3 & 235 wickets @ 26.42)

12th Man: Anthony Stuart (3 ODIs - 1 run @ 1 sr 14.27 & 8 wickets @ 13.62)

Ground: Manuka Oval, Canberra

I believe I have a very well rounded team, the bowlers are obviously my strength and imo the best bowling unit of any team picked. Wasim Akram and Imran Khan will share the new ball with Darren Gough coming on first change. All were among the best ODI bowlers of their generations, Shane Warne is a spinner for all conditions, he'll keep it tight or get batsmen out, whatever is needed. The fifth bowler duties is where I think my biggest strength is, regardless of the match situation or conditions I have the guys to do the job. Neil Johnson is capable of bowling all 10 himself, while Nathan Astle can chip in with a few medium pacers if needed, in Mark Waugh we have someone that can bowl either off spin or medium depending on what we want.

In the batting department I chose my players and then told them where to bat depending on what my side needs. Openers were important though, Nick Knight was one of the best ODI openers in the 90's and early 00's. In Neil Johnson there we have a genuine all rounder that could have possibly ended up as an ODI great if it weren't for Zimbabwe's issues. In the middle order we have a couple of adaptable players, Mark Waugh who was generally an opener will be better suited to batting four in my team, he was a great and scored centuries batting everywhere in the top order. Nathan Astle is another guy who was normally an opener but I think he will do a good job playing agressively down the order. Robin Smith will control the innings at 3 like he did his whole career for England while at number 6 will be one of the great innings finishers Roger Twose. Moin Khan was a sound choice as keeper as he can be an agressive batsman in the lower order, but mainly his keeping skills to both spin and pace meant he was an easy pick.

Imran Khan will captain my team, he was one of the great leaders of his time and his skills with both batting and bowling give him a good knowledge of whats required to win. All in all I'm very happy with my side and I think it can match it with any others in the draft.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Manoj Prabhakar - (LHB 1,858 runs @ 24.12, RM 157 wickets @ 28.87)
Richie Richardson - (RHB 6,248 runs @ 33.41, RM 1 wicket @ 46.00)
Saurav Ganguly - (LHB 11,363 runs @ 41.02, RM 100 wickets @ 38.50)
Darren Lehmann - (LHB 3,078 runs @ 38.96, SLA 52 wickets @ 27.78)
Hansie Cronje - (RHB 5,565 runs @ 36.41, RM 114 wickets @ 34.78) (c)
Carl Hooper (RHB 5,762 runs @ 35.34, ROS 193 wickets @ 36.05
Grant Flower (RHB 6,536 @ 33.69 SLA 104 wickets @40.25)
Sir Ian Botham (RHB 2,113 runs @ 23.21, RFM 145 wickets @ 28.54)
Tatenda Taibu (wk) (RHB 2,045 @ 26.21 ROS 2 wickets @30.50)
Waqar Younis (RHB 969 runs @ 10.30, RF 416 wickets @ 23.84)
Allan Donald (RHB 95 runs @ 4.31, RF 272 wickets @ 21.78)

12th Man - Colin BlandJeetan Patel

My team is a triumph of bits n pieces over skillz in the individual cricket basics. Other than Waqar Younis and Allan Donald - who were brought in to provide an overwhelming spearhead to the bowling line up, every other player can both bat and bowl.

Including the wicket keeper.

This means that the team has an incredible depth of batting skill. Botham at 8 and Taibu at 9. And let's face it - a first change bowler of Ian Botham is hardly to be sneezed at. The 20 overs of the 4th and 5th bowlers can be taken from any of the remaining players - including celebrated one day luminaries as Manoj Prabhakar (will be 1st change with Botham) and then any of Ganguly, Flower or Hooper who all have 100 wickets or more to their name.

And as for the captaincy, who better than Hansie Cronje who ignoring his dalliance with illegal bookmaking syndicates was one of South Africa's best captains.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Manoj Prabhakar - (LHB 1,858 runs @ 24.12, RM 157 wickets @ 28.87)
Richie Richardson - (RHB 6,248 runs @ 33.41, RM 1 wicket @ 46.00)
Saurav Ganguly - (LHB 11,363 runs @ 41.02, RM 100 wickets @ 38.50)
Darren Lehmann - (LHB 3,078 runs @ 38.96, SLA 52 wickets @ 27.78)
Hansie Cronje - (RHB 5,565 runs @ 36.41, RM 114 wickets @ 34.78) (c)
Carl Hooper (RHB 5,762 runs @ 35.34, ROS 193 wickets @ 36.05
Grant Flower (RHB 6,536 @ 33.69 ROS 104 wickets @40.25)
Sir Ian Botham (RHB 2,113 runs @ 23.21, RFM 145 wickets @ 28.54)
Tatenda Taibu (wk) (RHB 2,045 @ 26.21 ROS 2 wickets @30.50)
Waqar Younis (RHB 969 runs @ 10.30, RF 416 wickets @ 23.84)
Allan Donald (RHB 95 runs @ 4.31, RF 272 wickets @ 21.78)

12th Man - Colin BlandJeetan Patel

My team is a triumph of bits n pieces over skillz in the individual cricket basics. Other than Waqar Younis and Allan Donald - who were brought in to provide an overwhelming spearhead to the bowling line up, every other player can both bat and bowl.

Including the wicket keeper.

This means that the team has an incredible depth of batting skill. Botham at 8 and Taibu at 9. And let's face it - a first change bowler of Ian Botham is hardly to be sneezed at. The 20 overs of the 4th and 5th bowlers can be taken from any of the remaining players - including celebrated one day luminaries as Manoj Prabhakar (will be 1st change with Botham) and then any of Ganguly, Flower or Hooper who all have 100 wickets or more to their name.

And as for the captaincy, who better than Hansie Cronje who ignoring his dalliance with illegal bookmaking syndicates was one of South Africa's best captains.
Athlai officially supporting Heath's Team Awesome