• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Team Draft - ODI edition

Matt79

Global Moderator
Steve Waugh. Whoa whoa whoa, what is he good for.
Well that brought the party to a halt, didn't it.

Didn't expand at the time besides my quality 12th Man reference, but essentially, Steve Waugh, god, reliable, sometimes inspirational middle order batsman, Ice-man bowling-at-the death, nerves of steel, would have his children, etc etc.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Andy Roberts

Team so far:

Kevin Pietersen (RHB, 87 ODIs, 3047 runs @ 48.36, 19% no, sr 87.58)
Greg Chappell (RHB, 74 ODIs, 2331 runs @ 40.18, 20% no, sr 75.70, RM, 72 wickets @ 29.12, er 4.04, sr 43.1, 7 opm)
Mahendra Singh Dhoni + (RHB, 125 ODIs, 3935 runs @ 46.84, 25% no, sr 90.89, 125 catches and 40 stumpings)
Andy Roberts (RHB, 56 ODIs, 231 runs @ 10.04, 16% no, sr 64.70, RF, 87 wickets @ 20.35, er 3.40, sr 35.8, 9.2 opm)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For my fourth pick im going with Mark Waugh, Junior scored 8500 runs batting either middle order or opener in his ODI career at an average of 39.35 and a strike rate of 76.90. He is also a handy bowler delivering either Off spin or medium pace, he took 85 ODI wickets at 34.56.

Team so far
1 Mark Waugh
7 Imran Khan
8 Wasim Akram
9 Shane Warne

pskov

International 12th Man
I had to go back and check twice because I almost couldn't believe he hadn't been taken yet, but he was still available. I select Brian Lara. No introduction needed.

My team so far

?
?
Brian Lara
Zaheer Abbas
Kumar Sangakkara+
?
?
?
?
Joel Garner
?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeh was a toss up between Waugh and Lara for mine, even though Lara has a better average I went Junior mainly because of his versatility and I just loved watching him bat.

Matt79

Global Moderator
For my fourth pick im going with Mark Waugh, Junior scored 8500 runs batting either middle order or opener in his ODI career at an average of 39.35 and a strike rate of 76.90. He is also a handy bowler delivering either Off spin or medium pace, he took 85 ODI wickets at 34.56.

Team so far
1 Mark Waugh
7 Imran Khan
8 Wasim Akram
9 Shane Warne
Was really torn between which Waugh twin to select - although I thought that given they are genetically identical, picking one meant that I got both! :)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Steve the better bowler and Mark the better batsman for me. Everyone goes on about Steve's 100 under pressure to get his team through a knockout game in the 99 World Cup, but then Mark played a better one imo (that didn't involve a fielder making a hash of a simple catch) in the quarter final of the 96 World Cup. Depends on what type of all rounder you need.

pup11

International Coach
Yup, Mark was a tremendously gifted cricketer, an amazing fielder who made the most toughest of catches look easy, and an elegant batsmen who made batting at international level look like child's play, but i don't think he really made most of his talent, had he backed his talent with the same level of grit and determination his brother Steve showed, Mark Waugh could have ended up as one the biggest players of his generation, mind you he still did quite well, but it still could have so much better.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Desmond Haynes

With 8648 runs @ 41.37 in a really long career, Desmond Haynes emerges as one of the best openers in the ODI version of the game. Though he provided solidity to the innings to be contrasting in style to his partner Greenidge to make which is regarded as one of the best opening partnerships in the history of the game, he was quite capable of beligerent muscular strokeplay. His presence in the top order was crucial in the 1979 World Cup win of West Indies. A solid presence at the top, his technique is good enough to counteract any of the fast bowlers in the other teams, not to mention that he was an equally good player against spin and medium pace in the middle overs and more than capable to play long innings and score centuries.

Team till now:

Desmond Haynes
Javed Miandad
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

With two solid batsmen, one at the top order and the other in the middle, a fiery intimidating and effective fast bowler and a magician with his art of spin bowling; this team is as versatile as it can be after 4 picks.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Saeed Anwar
The World Record holder for Highest ODI score, he's an absolutely champion ODI bat.

247 matches, 20 ODI centuries with an average over 39 and SR over 80 is just superb for his era.

Last edited: