• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Fearsome Fast Bowler

Who is the most fearsome and better strike bowler among these 3 considering that they all are fit and playing:

1- Brett Lee
2- Shane Bond
3- Shoaib Akhter

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fearsome?

Probably....

Tait
Malinga
Edwards

Guys who could break your ribs or your toes relatively easily.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
The bowler I would least like to face is Akhter, by quite a distance. Then Bond. Then Lee quite far behind.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Shoaib, purely because you always felt he was about to do something a bit mental. With Lee and Bond, you were in more danger of getting out than getting hurt, Shoaib always made you think he was trying to kill the batsmen.

EDIT - Missed the bit about better, in which case probably Lee. Although I would love to say Bond, he didn't prove himself consistently for long enough.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dale Steyn. Quick, accurate, calculating, swings the ball (always found that more panic-inducing than seam as a batsman), can be nasty and will run in all day.

To be honest, in the current series, I reckon he's been holding back on the aggression a bit. Could be even nastier to face if he gets his back up.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
To be honest, in the current series, I reckon he's been holding back on the aggression a bit. Could be even nastier to face if he gets his back up.
He's being watched for chucking at the moment I think. NZ lodged an official complaint after their series in SA when he was blatantly chucking his bouncers and effort balls. He might have been given the word to slow down a bit and keep a straight arm until the ICC have had a good look.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Got to be Daren Powell, never know when he is going to run down half the length of the pitch and throw the ball at you just because you move about a little in your crease.

Top_Cat

You wha?!:blink:
Might have misrepresented myself a bit by calling myself a 'batsman'. Definite bowler/slogger. But yeah, swing, to me, always looked more 'mystical' to face. Someone bowling cutters or seaming the ball, it looks perfectly logical. If you hit the seam (an angled surface), it might bounce irregularly. Makes sense. If you put back-spin on the ball in one direction, upon bouncing, it'll cut. Makes sense. Swing, on the other hand, looks like magic the way it curves in the air, like an unknown force is guiding it. And, at pace, I always found it far tougher to face. Your mileage may vary.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Your mileage may vary.
Yep, swing isn't really a problem unless there's also seam movement, unless it's either swinging big or swinging both ways, and late.

I've always felt in much more danger when the ball's seaming than when it's swinging. The two do often tend to go hand in hand however.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Yep, swing isn't really a problem unless there's also seam movement, unless it's either swinging big or swinging both ways, and late.

I've always felt in much more danger when the ball's seaming than when it's swinging. The two do often tend to go hand in hand however.
Disagree completely. The ball that moves a fraction is more likely to take the edge than the one which swings around corners.

Also, seam isn't as dangerous as swing because you get the chance to see the movement off the pitch with seam. Even when a ball swings early, it still usually happens after the ball has pitched giving the batsman less time to react.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
seam isn't as dangerous as swing because you get the chance to see the movement off the pitch with seam. Even when a ball swings early, it still usually happens after the ball has pitched giving the batsman less time to react.
Reverse that completely and you're 100% right.

Seam movement is harder to face because you don't have time to react off the pitch. Swing is easier to face because you see it happening in the air before it bounces.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Reverse that completely and you're 100% right.

Seam movement is harder to face because you don't have time to react off the pitch. Swing is easier to face because you see it happening in the air before it bounces.
You seem to assume that we are talking about swing that hoops from leg stump line to a foot outside off and yes, as I said in my previous post, this isn't as dangerous as seam. But with a ball that swings a small amount, this distance is not usually apparent until late in delivery and so it is not always possible to see the swing in the air before it pitches.

With seam, when the ball is pitched up, the ball doesn't move enough and when it is slightly shorter the batsmen has more time to react.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I was refering to movement off the seam. And out of interest, what is your idea of a decent paced bowler?
:laugh:

Your asking the winner of the U19 NZ fast bowler comp and likely future Black Cap and near-certain for a FC spot in years to come..

Top_Cat

Yeah I guess I was more referring to when conditions also suited the bowlers. In perfect batting conditions, blazing sun, etc. can definitely agree a bowler concentrating on hitting the seam is a tougher proposition.

And what you describe above is exactly why I'd hate facing Steyn; he swings it both ways, at pace and late.