• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of English Cricket (God help us...)

susudear

Banned
Chris Jordan

One of my favorite upcoming players. I expect him to come really good the coming season and perhaps, just perhaps get a Ashes look-in.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Thats very harsh on Rob Key who TBH, was one of the better openers in domestic one day cricket last season, and has been for a couple of seasons.

Liam Dawson is a top shout, the lad is going to be a class act in a few years, but James Tomlinson? Although he had a good season last year, he is too inconsistent and there are too many better bowlers in the country for him to be considered for the test squad.

And Steven Davies has been hailed as the next Alec Stewart, although I've seen little of him myself.

Woodster

International Captain
I actually quite like the look of the England Lions squad. There are rewards for players who had very good 2008 seasons, and an opportunity for the fringe players to push the current Test/ODI side a little harder.

Not sure about the inclusion of Luke Wright at the moment, think he really needs to improve in both disciplines, don't think his batting or his bowling is particularly strong enough to play at this level, certainly in the longer forms.

Think the youngest player in the side is Denly at 22 (will be 23 by the time he returns from this tour), I would have hoped perhaps one or two younger players may have been offered a place in the side to enhance their development. I appreciate that England Under 19's have a tour to South Africa in January/February of 2009, however, players such as Dawson, or James Harris may benefit further from going with the Lions.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually quite like the look of the England Lions squad. There are rewards for players who had very good 2008 seasons, and an opportunity for the fringe players to push the current Test/ODI side a little harder.

Not sure about the inclusion of Luke Wright at the moment, think he really needs to improve in both disciplines, don't think his batting or his bowling is particularly strong enough to play at this level, certainly in the longer forms.

Think the youngest player in the side is Denly at 22 (will be 23 by the time he returns from this tour), I would have hoped perhaps one or two younger players may have been offered a place in the side to enhance their development.
Not even convinced he should play in the Sussex 1st team in FC cricket.

Woodster

International Captain
Not even convinced he should play in the Sussex 1st team in FC cricket.
Neither am I. Clearly the England management like something within his style. He has bowled well at certain times in high pressure situations, ie towards the end of an innings, but his batting is confused and generally frantic in one-dayers, at times due to the role he has been given. There is nothing that stands out to me that suggests he is an international player in the making.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither am I. Clearly the England management like something within his style. He has bowled well at certain times in high pressure situations, ie towards the end of an innings, but his batting is confused and generally frantic in one-dayers, at times due to the role he has been given. There is nothing that stands out to me that suggests he is an international player in the making.
Successive managements at Sussex and latterly England have liked the cut of his jib. They think (and I have some faith) that he has a lot of potential. The problem is that his performances haven't justified the faith that's been placed in him, and he's been at Sussex for 5 full seasons now.

For Sussex he needs to establish himself as worthy of a place in the top 6 of the batting order. If he can't do that (and he's not remotely done so yet) then, given the rawness and lack of penetration in his bowling, he can't be taken seriously as a potential England all-rounder.

2009 will be a very, very important season for him.

I just wonder people still think that English team has some or any future. You guys are expecting wonders from a scrap material. Current English team is a combination of Unfit+Out of form+Untalented players. What do you expect from them.........................

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just wonder people still think that English team has some or any future. You guys are expecting wonders from a scrap material. Current English team is a combination of Unfit+Out of form+Untalented players. What do you expect from them.........................
8-) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :laugh:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The only guys from Lancashire i can see having any chance with England over the next few years are:

Paul Horton: Not sure what he has to do to get noticed but he's been Lancashire's best batsman over the last 2 years and averages over 45 in FC cricket. Definitely not a OD player though.

Tom Smith: Been joked about by Lancashire so much its unbelievable, hopefully he'll be given a run this year and if he is I'm confident he'll do well. Should turn into an excellent ODI bowler, and dear God England need one of those.

Steven Croft: ODI option, he's much better than Luke Wright, so why shouldn't he be in contention, had a good season last year, if he can back it up he should be there or thereabouts (In ODIs only obviously).

Unfortunately there isn't anyone else in our squad who hasn't played for England yet that has much chance, this is mainly because of our terrible approach to youth development over the past seasons, a few years ago we had a tremendous amount of talent coming through but selectorial decisions meant that this talent stagnated or left(Clare, who has been selected for the fast bowling camp was one of the products of Lancashire who left because of lack of chances) and so the cupboard looks bare at the moment, hopefully the stream is still there and we can come up with a few in a few years time, our U17's shared the national title this year.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The only guys from Lancashire i can see having any chance with England over the next few years are:

Paul Horton: Not sure what he has to do to get noticed but he's been Lancashire's best batsman over the last 2 years and averages over 45 in FC cricket. Definitely not a OD player though.

Tom Smith: Been joked about by Lancashire so much its unbelievable, hopefully he'll be given a run this year and if he is I'm confident he'll do well. Should turn into an excellent ODI bowler, and dear God England need one of those.

Steven Croft: ODI option, he's much better than Luke Wright, so why shouldn't he be in contention, had a good season last year, if he can back it up he should be there or thereabouts (In ODIs only obviously).

Unfortunately there isn't anyone else in our squad who hasn't played for England yet that has much chance, this is mainly because of our terrible approach to youth development over the past seasons, a few years ago we had a tremendous amount of talent coming through but selectorial decisions meant that this talent stagnated or left(Clare, who has been selected for the fast bowling camp was one of the products of Lancashire who left because of lack of chances) and so the cupboard looks bare at the moment, hopefully the stream is still there and we can come up with a few in a few years time, our U17's shared the national title this year.
Yes the management at Lanky have a lot to answer for in terms of wasting the assets at their disposal.

WRT Horton, I've been impressed by his FC stats but have never seen him play. Do you see him as a potential Test player? What are his characteristics as a player?

As for Smith, I have seen him bowl and he seemed to me to be in the Mark Davies mould - except that he's a better batsman - in that he moves the ball and can take wickets but at no more than medium pace.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yes the management at Lanky have a lot to answer for in terms of wasting the assets at their disposal.

WRT Horton, I've been impressed by his FC stats but have never seen him play. Do you see him as a potential Test player? What are his characteristics as a player?

As for Smith, I have seen him bowl and he seemed to me to be in the Mark Davies mould - except that he's a better batsman - in that he moves the ball and can take wickets but at no more than medium pace.
Think Smith is a little bit quicker than Davies, or at least i think he'll end up being about Sidebottom pace..I think he just really needs a run in the side to build up his confidence and get used to bowling a lot of overs again. In any case, It's not like he's going to be able to rely on helpful wickets at OT unless the departure of Marron heralds a new pitch era.

Regarding Horton, yes he would be a potential test player, he's currently no use in One day cricket he hardly makes the Lancashire side, I reckon this is probably counting against him (though it shouldn't of course). He's a solid right handed opener, plays within himself and doesn't do anything flashy, doesn't have a massive array of strokes or power. Very good temperament. (Suppose being born in Aus helps that!)

Regarding the production line/lack of...2 of our academy rejects have been signed on for MCC Young Cricketers next year (Dhar and ****bain IIRC) so hopefully they can go on to prove the club wrong.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Horton was the first name I thought of. Never actually seen him play either (his lack of OD prowess would account for this, obv) but his figures have been consistently impressive in the CC.

Two other names who might've been worthy of consideration are Joyce & Shreck. Neither in the first flush of youth, but then neither are Key or Batty either.

Dawid Malan maybe could've been a "hunch" pick too? Figures haven't been that impressive, but looks to have something about him judging by his televised performances.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
England Under 23s

Looking ahead to the future, this is a rough England U'23s. Im sure Ill have forgotten someone but this is my best effort.

1. Denly (born Kent) Kent Batsman 22 yrs
2. Chopra (born Essex) Essex Batsman 21 yrs
3. Godleman (born London) Middlesex Batsman 19 yrs
4. Moeen Ali (born Birmingham) Batsman Worcs 21 yrs
5. Adam Lyth (born Yorkshire) Yorks Batsman 21 yrs
6. Adil Rashid (born Yorkshire) Yorkshire Allrounder 20 yrs
7. Steve Davies (born Worcs) Worcs Wkt 22 yrs
8. Clare (born Lancs) Derbyshire Allrounder 22 yrs
9. Harris (born Wales) Glamorgan Bowler/batsman 18 yrs
10. Steven Finn (born Watford) Bowler 19 yrs
11. Woakes (born Birmingham) Warwicks Bowler 19 yrs

Stuart Broad and Luke Wright not included as both current England internationals.

I have never seen Woakes bowl but he had a great year last year and has a good record and reputation. I like the look of Finn. TBH, there are many seam bowling options, just few developed.

Under 23s 2nd XI

1. Alex Wakely Batsman/Bowler 20 yrs Northants
2. Dawid Malan Batsman 21 Middlesex
3. Matthew Boyce Batsman 23 yrs Leics
4. Joshua Cobb Batsman 18 yrs Leics
5. Housego Batsman 20 yrs Middlesex
6. Bresnan Allrounder 23 yrs Yorkshire
7. Liam Dawson Allrounder 18 yrs Hamps
8. Craig Kieswetter Wkt 21 yrs Somerset
9. David Wainwright Bowler 23 yrs Yorkshire
10. Jade Dernbach Bowler 22 yrs Surrey
11. Chris Jordan Bowler 20 yrs Surrey

Unlucky but on outside looking in- Tom Smith (23, Bowler, Lancs), Danny Evans (21, Bowler, Midd), Maurice Chambers (21, Bowler, Essex), Stuart Meaker (19, Bowler, Surrey), Ollie Rayner (23, Bowler, Sussex)

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Also Sam Northeast (Kent).

One or two of the nippers down our way look promising too but I shan't bang on about them or people will get the completely mistaken impression that all I care about is Sussex

Woodster

International Captain
England Under 23s

Looking ahead to the future, this is a rough England U'23s. Im sure Ill have forgotten someone but this is my best effort.

1. Denly (born Kent) Kent Batsman 22 yrs
2. Chopra (born Essex) Essex Batsman 21 yrs
3. Godleman (born London) Middlesex Batsman 19 yrs
4. Moeen Ali (born Birmingham) Batsman Worcs 21 yrs
5. Adam Lyth (born Yorkshire) Yorks Batsman 21 yrs
6. Adil Rashid (born Yorkshire) Yorkshire Allrounder 20 yrs
7. Steve Davies (born Worcs) Worcs Wkt 22 yrs
8. Clare (born Lancs) Derbyshire Allrounder 22 yrs
9. Harris (born Wales) Glamorgan Bowler/batsman 18 yrs
10. Steven Finn (born Watford) Bowler 19 yrs
11. Woakes (born Birmingham) Warwicks Bowler 19 yrs

Stuart Broad and Luke Wright not included as both current England internationals.

I have never seen Woakes bowl but he had a great year last year and has a good record and reputation. I like the look of Finn. TBH, there are many seam bowling options, just few developed.

Under 23s 2nd XI

1. Alex Wakely Batsman/Bowler 20 yrs Northants
2. Dawid Malan Batsman 21 Middlesex
3. Matthew Boyce Batsman 23 yrs Leics
4. Joshua Cobb Batsman 18 yrs Leics
5. Housego Batsman 20 yrs Middlesex
6. Bresnan Allrounder 23 yrs Yorkshire
7. Liam Dawson Allrounder 18 yrs Hamps
8. Craig Kieswetter Wkt 21 yrs Somerset
9. David Wainwright Bowler 23 yrs Yorkshire
10. Jade Dernbach Bowler 22 yrs Surrey
11. Chris Jordan Bowler 20 yrs Surrey

Unlucky but on outside looking in- Tom Smith (23, Bowler, Lancs), Danny Evans (21, Bowler, Midd), Maurice Chambers (21, Bowler, Essex), Stuart Meaker (19, Bowler, Surrey), Ollie Rayner (23, Bowler, Sussex)
As I said earlier, I would have liked one or two of these players to be joining the more experienced players on the Lions tour. I'm sure a few of these have already been identified as real candidates for the England side over the next few years, so at 18-20 it would be a great time to give them a chance of being around and playing with and against some fringe internationals.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Positive thing about English cricket is that Collingwood's the oldest player - and he's only 32.

Got a heap of seam-bowling depth, FTR.

And I also hope that Tresco reverses his international retirement (for English home games, at least).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've spoken to Mark Davies before - a proper conversation, that is not just an exchange of pleasantries. Top guy and a good, old fashioned accurate bowler. I guess there's an opportunity for him to be a bowler in the Glenn McGrath mould, if not quite in that class. Shame he's been so injury prone.

He's played some cricket in Australia - Applecross I believe and spend some time in Paul Terry's Australian cricket academy to learn how to bowl on different surfaces. He's been there-and-there abouts for a while. He had a pretty successful time for the England Under 19s against Sri Lanka back in 2000 as I recall.

In his own words - and this is a direct quote:

Mark Davies said:
I mainly rely on away-swing bowling to take wickets. After this, movement off the seam comes second. To be honest, the main way I take wickets is by grinding the batsman down. I give the batsman no room to play their own shots through a reliance on accuracy which forces them to make mistakes.

I don't really think that England are obsessed with pace, but that extra yard of pace is vital at the top level. I've been working hard on gaining that extra yard of pace which will hopefully get me more into contention in the international frame. Its important to remember that pace is not the be all and end all.
I'm disappointed not to see James Foster given a go. Yet again.