• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil McKenzie's/Duminy's fate

Bees

U19 12th Man
This question relates to the current series and those that follow...

Whilst it's easy to say that McKenzie has had a poor run in Australia and should thus be dropped in favour of Duminy, do you really think that the Saffies will actually drop him?

No doubt it's the best choice, I just think that he'll end up with a chance, just like some of the out-of-form Aussie players.

Though after Duminy's 166, it'd be a real shame to have to put him back on the sidelines.

susudear

Banned
Easy

Put out Prince as long as Duminy is performing. MacKenzie has proved himself as a good opener and was bound for a failure.

inbox24

International Debutant
Nah I think the 9 commentators were right for once, drop Mac and bring in Prince. Then push Amla to opening.

Smith
Amla
Kallis
Prince
de Villiers
Duminy
Boucher
Morkel
Harris
Steyn
Ntini

That's a pretty gun team everyone in form except Morkel who's half and half.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Nah I think the 9 commentators were right for once, drop Mac and bring in Prince. Then push Amla to opening.

Smith
Amla
Kallis
Prince
de Villiers
Duminy
Boucher
Morkel
Harris
Steyn
Ntini

That's a pretty gun team everyone in form except Morkel who's half and half.
Yea was thinking the same the commentary team got that one right. Amla was a good opener in his u19 days.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
JP deserves his place. The fantastic thing is that they didnt rush him. One of the few occassions Cricket SA has brought a player (especially a PDA player) along correctly, allowing him to mature.

Personally, Id have MacKenzie over Prince, so Prince would be on the outside looking in.

I think he is the better player and more likely to score runs and can bat in a wider range of positions. However, given Prince is younger and has a better record I could see why he may get picked.

Last edited:
This question relates to the current series and those that follow...

Whilst it's easy to say that McKenzie has had a poor run in Australia and should thus be dropped in favour of Duminy, do you really think that the Saffies will actually drop him?

No doubt it's the best choice, I just think that he'll end up with a chance, just like some of the out-of-form Aussie players.

Though after Duminy's 166, it'd be a real shame to have to put him back on the sidelines.
I think McKnenzie's uncle is selector in South African Cricket Borard.:laugh: :laugh:

readie

State Regular
Duminy is a must have tbh. I can see problems with Kallis at 3 though as he has stated before that he feels uncomfortable in that position which could see Duminy used at Opener but I think he needs to stay where he is atm, batted with the tail very intelligently

Bees

U19 12th Man
To solve the Kallis problem if the "one-up" shuffle is adopted, AB simply comes in before Kallis, making it:

Smith
Amla
AB
Kallis
etc.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Isn't Prince the Vice Captain? He's a terrific batsman so when fully fit he has to be in the side if it's the start of a series. I wouldn't necessarily bring him in for the deciding match though.

Bees

U19 12th Man
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausvrsa2008_09/content/current/story/384483.html said:
If Prince is fit for the third Test in Sydney the selectors will face a tough decision on who to leave out. Duminy must play. He believes he won't.

"It probably will happen [that I will be dropped]. If Ashwell's fit to play I'm sure he will play."

There are no such concerns for Arthur now. His biggest worry over the next few days could be working out who to drop if Prince recovers for Sydney and it is a pleasing problem to have. It will be a travesty of justice if it's Duminy who misses out.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Would drop Mckenzie for Prince. Harsh to kick Mckenzie out after only a few failures, but it would be even worse to leave Duminy out after that innings and Mckenzie doesn't look likely to score a whole lot of runs against the Aussies. New order would be:

1) Smith
2) De Villiers
3) Amla
4) Kallis
5) Prince
6) Duminy

De Villiers should open with Smith IMO as he used to open with Smith and had moderate success as opener, averaging 36 in around 20 tests. Better option than Amla IMO who has never opened in tests before.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only way both Prince and Duminy can both play is if De Villiers's role is changed for the 97th time and he's pushed up to the top order again (or for a real bolter, is given the wicket keeping gloves again) but I can see why the selectors would be very reluctant to do that.

Amla opening with Kallis batting three simply just won't happen for mine, nor do I think it's a particularly good idea. I suppose Duminy could push up the order and either open or bat three with Amla opening, but that doesn't really sit right with me either.

I really think dropping McKenzie would be a knee-jerk: he's done really well since coming into the team as an opener and to drop him based on three poor innings on his part and two (admittedly superlative) innings from Duminy would defy the general way selection is supposed to work. There is always the temptation to throw selectorial process out the window and go on tour form but it should typically be resisted.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
JP deserves his place. The fantastic thing is that they didnt rush him. One of the few occassions Cricket SA has brought a player (especially a PDA player) along correctly, allowing him to mature.

Personally, Id have MacKenzie over Prince, so Prince would be on the outside looking in.

I think he is the better player and more likely to score runs and can bat in a wider range of positions. However, given Prince is younger and has a better record I could see why he may get picked.
How much does Prince have to do for you to actually rate him?

He's been a very very good test batsman for 3 years now.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not having as closely followed the SA team as some guys here, I'd be tempted to promote Amla and AB to opener and 3, or else just AB to opener. McKenzie might well be a long term part of the team, but tour form is good form and McKenzie's got none, cf. Duminy having plenty. I know which name I'd rather see missing from the SA team in Sydney as an Aussie fan.

Conversely, if SA win in Melbourne (and hence can't lose this series), maybe drop Morkel and have seven batsmen? I've been really impressed with Kallis' bowling form in this series - never seen him bowl so well in the SA series I've followed.

slowfinger

International Debutant
McKenzie Out Definately, maybe if someone gets injured he can come handy, but Prince will beat him anyday.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got the perfect solution. God, it's so good i can't believe i hadn't even thought of it yet.

Drop Boucher, give AB the gloves and stick Duminy+Prince in at 6 and 7.