• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adelaide to host controversial first day-night Test

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The idea doesn't make me want to throw my hands up with a cry of "O tempora! O mores!" (quite), but there does seem to be a bit of cart before the horses about the announcement for mine. The ball not being up to it the principle issue. Few day/night first-class games as trials might be nice. There's a fair chance it'll all go horribly **** up.
Yeah, thats my opinion as well.

Lets put it on the table as an option and try it out at lower levels and really think it through.

Leaving aside the ball, conditions etc, Id like to see the market research that conclusively shows that this will increase crowds and the reports that the TV companies will embrace it and that it will lead to an increase in revenue.

Its a pretty big change, and one that Im not automatically opposed to, but it has to be done correctly with obvious and proven benefits and have the potential problems ironed out.

Craig

World Traveller
Perfect, I will get home from work and I haven't missed much (oh and Pakistan will be playing Test cricket).

chalky

International Debutant

Lets put it on the table as an option and try it out at lower levels and really think it through.

Leaving aside the ball, conditions etc, Id like to see the market research that conclusively shows that this will increase crowds and the reports that the TV companies will embrace it and that it will lead to an increase in revenue.

Its a pretty big change, and one that Im not automatically opposed to, but it has to be done correctly with obvious and proven benefits and have the potential problems ironed out.
I belive it was trialed in the Aussie domestic comp, don't know of it's relative success or otherwise.

James

Cricket Web Owner
James Sunderland (CEO Cricket Australia) is on the radio now and has 100% ruled out Night Test cricket for next summer.

Says the first stage is playing it at state level.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
market research ............. very little was done on the 20/20 concept in england.. all they discovered was an over whelming number of cricket followers plus occasional watches was that the game currently (50 overs) is 2 long............

id go as far to say no research was done in india its just the icl wanted to get out the great first........and the reason was because of the success in england...

progress is only achieved by doing........

people work long hours and they want a chance to relax in the cool air with a beer and watch a couple of hours of cricket before bed..........

these an expression some of you may have herd it.. build it and they "they" will come..
in this situation its change the start time and "they" will come...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

If we waited for all the kinks to be ironed out of something before trying it, nothing would ever change. There's no good reason not to give it a go even if there are plenty of obvious discussion points (market research and all that).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The idea doesn't make me want to throw my hands up with a cry of "O tempora! O mores!" (quite), but there does seem to be a bit of cart before the horses about the announcement for mine. The ball not being up to it the principle issue. Few day/night first-class games as trials might be nice. There's a fair chance it'll all go horribly **** up.
Yeah, I agree with this. Saying that ball issues will be sorted out between now and then is all fine and dandy, but they still have to actually do it.

_Ed_

As long as the conditions are consistent and fair for both sides, I don't mind this at all.

pasag

RTDAS
market research ............. very little was done on the 20/20 concept in england.. all they discovered was an over whelming number of cricket followers plus occasional watches was that the game currently (50 overs) is 2 long............

id go as far to say no research was done in india its just the icl wanted to get out the great first........and the reason was because of the success in england...

progress is only achieved by doing........

people work long hours and they want a chance to relax in the cool air with a beer and watch a couple of hours of cricket before bed..........

these an expression some of you may have herd it.. build it and they "they" will come..
in this situation its change the start time and "they" will come...
Not really, market research is vital. Countless new products and ideas have flopped because of inadequate research. Proper research can save you millions and heaps of time and effort.

susudear

Banned
World Series Supertests

Not really, market research is vital. Countless new products and ideas have flopped because of inadequate research. Proper research can save you millions and heaps of time and effort.
An example is day night supertest held during the Packer World Series. Although the concept was fresh and innovative, and featured some of the best talent in the world, they hardly set the stadiums on fire.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If we waited for all the kinks to be ironed out of something before trying it, nothing would ever change. There's no good reason not to give it a go even if there are plenty of obvious discussion points (market research and all that).
The ball not lasting even half of the overs it's supposed to seems a bit more than a "kink" to me. A demand might be there, but to go ahead with such a basic problem would be rather akin to marketing a sports car that the public like the look of but which has brakes that are liable to fail after a couple of thousand miles.

pasag

RTDAS
According to Sutherland some evidence is there with a massive ratings spike in other states when the game was in Perth and finishing at around 9pm everywhere else.

Top_Cat

The ball not lasting even half of the overs it's supposed to seems a bit more than a "kink" to me. A demand might be there, but to go ahead with such a basic problem would be rather akin to marketing a sports car that the public like the look of but which has brakes that are liable to fail after a couple of thousand miles.
Dodgy comparison, I think. A braking failure is a catastrophic failure whereas the ball getting dull makes it more difficult to see, not impossible. Besides which, it's not as if the whole day's (so to speak) play will be under lights so the degradation of the ball is w bit overblown I reckon.

Not saying it's not a legitimate concern but geez, expecting day/night Tests to work the exact same way as day Tests before implementing it is excessively conservative in my opinion. Just don't see how they can be; weather at night != weather during the day so unless someone invents a waterproof ball that degrades and moves just like a ball during the day does, it'll always been an issue.

Not saying this applies to you but arguments like these tend to be the refuge of those who simply don't want the game to change.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dodgy comparison, I think. A braking failure is a catastrophic failure whereas the ball getting dull makes it more difficult to see, not impossible. Besides which, it's not as if the whole day's (so to speak) play will be under lights so the degradation of the ball is w bit overblown I reckon.

Not saying it's not a legitimate concern but geez, expecting day/night Tests to work the exact same way as day Tests before implementing it is excessively conservative in my opinion. Just don't see how they can be; weather at night != weather during the day so unless someone invents a waterproof ball that degrades and moves just like a ball during the day does, it'll always been an issue.

Not saying this applies to you but arguments like these tend to be the refuge of those who simply don't want the game to change.
I'm ambivalent at best, tbh, but not so naive as to not recognise the way the wind's blowing. I just think a bit of what used to be called "due diligence" before public announcements are made isn't too much to ask.

If the ball isn't up to it I imagine the playing conditions will be changed as they have been for ODIs. I'd find this an enormous pity as one of cricket's most appealing features is that it's played with a ball that's condition changes as the game progresses. If balls now only have to last (say) 40 overs a bit of this will be lost. Although one could easily make the same point about uncovered pitches and we seem to have survived that.

Top_Cat

I'm ambivalent at best, tbh, but not so naive as to not recognise the way the wind's blowing. I just think a bit of what used to be called "due diligence" before public announcements are made isn't too much to ask.
This is true. Not saying we don't need to solve or at least mitigate the problems with the idea but none of them, in my view, should be used as an impediment. It's what happened when Sheffield Shield cricket tried the idea; was trialled and then..........nothing. What was the point? I know here were some murmurings of the ball being difficult too bat against but I'm pretty sure Dean Jones didn't mind it when he belted a triple ton in a D/N match.

If the ball isn't up to it I imagine the playing conditions will be changed as they have been for ODIs. I'd find this an enormous pity as one of cricket's most appealing features is that it's played with a ball that's condition changes as the game progresses. If balls now only have to last (say) 40 overs a bit of this will be lost. Although one could easily make the same point about uncovered pitches and we seem to have survived that.
And roping-in of boundaries, loosening of regs with regards bats, drop-in pitches, helmets, bouncer rules, extra hours of play when matches are interrupted by weather, use of lights in Tests when it starts getting dark, changes to throwing laws, etc. This might be a more fundamental change to the game but, personally, not by so much as to be intolerable.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont believe that for a second. It is essential before any launch of a new project or idea do the proper background work.

I freely admit that as a quality and reliability guy that I hold great stock in 'getting things right first time'. Things change all the time and new ideas are introduced and they change most successfully when the proper preparation has been done.

There are far too many half assed ideas thrown around in mainstream sports. They come and they go and most are underresearched and underprepared.

Im not opposed to the idea, just opposed to it being implemented poorly. It is not a conservative approach but a professional approach.

Especially as implementing floodlights and doing a poor job in the first series could stop floodlights being used and kill the idea for the future. Poor execution and planning can destroy even the best ideas.

If you are going to do it then do it properly.

Last edited: